When Master Calls: Chapter 2

When Master Calls: Chapter 2

A Chapter by Varissa Darke
"

Clarissa is a sevant for the famous Holloway family. When she and their son develope a secret romance, all hell breaks loose. Even worse, the son has gained a new deep, dark, and mysterious secret.

"

Lady Holloway's POV:

           I ran down the halls of the castle as fast I could. How could I let that slip? Poor Howard! I must warn him at once!

          I continued to run until I reached the servant's quarters. I swung the door open and found them all huddled in a circle as Howard held little three-year old Clare in his arms. He appeared to have been telling her a story and the rest decided to join in. Tears gathered in all their eyes, but there was no time to worry about what they were doing.

          They were all looking at me now. I probably looked a mess, with my long black hair tangled and sweat dripping from my forehead. "Howard!" I shouted as I rushed over to him. "They know! I accidently let it slip! I wasn't thinking! I'm so sorry! You must hide now!" His eyes widened. "What do you mean? They know that I am Clare's father?" I nodded. "Hide!" He shook his head. "No. I will show no shame in being her father. I will face Master with dignity and my chin held high!"

            "Howard! Think about Clare! They'll kill you!" I pleaded. I cannot believe I'm going out of my way to save a servant. Howard's gaze dropped down to Clare. Being so young, she probably doesn't understand what's going on. He kissed the top of her head. "Please Howard-" I was interupted by the door being slammed open. All of our heads turned. My husband stood with three guards.

           "Preston! Please don't!" He glared at me. "You dare protect this filthy servant?" My gaze dropped. He whistled to his gaurds. I could see they're feet in the corner of my eyes as they grabbed ahold of Howard's arms. I finally looked up and saw Howard looking back at us. As he had said, his chin was held high. He shouted back to Clare, just as they met the doorway, "Clare, I'm going to see your mother. I won't be back. Lady Holloway will take care of you. I love you." And then he disappeared.

               My husband remained. He continued to glare at me. Slowly, he began to walk over my way. I rose from the floor and held my head down with shame. He lifted his hand in the air and let it come down hard onto my cheek, forcing me to the ground. Tears streamed down my face. He leaned in closer to me, right in my face. "Don't you ever disobey me again!" I nodded. "Good. Now come." He grabbed ahold of my arm and forced me up, then dragged me away from the servant's quarters.

Clarissa's POV:

             I sat stunned. What did Papa mean by, "I'm going to see your mother"? He had just told me that my mother died when I was born. Did that mean Papa was going to die too? NO. Papa can't die. He can't leave me here by myself.

            I sat on my hard, lumpy bed with my knees hugged to my chest. An older servant sat next to me with her hand on my shoulder. "Is Papa gonna die?" I asked her. Tears formed in the corners of her eyes. She nodded. "I can't lie to you, little one. He'll be in a better place with your mother where he'll be safe and nothing bad can happen." I placed my chin on my knees. "I want to go with him."

            She wrapped her arms around me. "No. We need you here. We need you to find a way out of here and live a joyful and happy life." I buried my head into her shoulder. "Will you take care of me? Will you be like father and hug me when I'm sad, or tell me a story when I can't fall asleep?" She nodded. "Of course Clare. Why don't you go ahead and try to get some sleep." I obeyed and wrapped myself in the thin blankets and closed my eyes as the candle beside my bed was blown out.



© 2010 Varissa Darke


Author's Note

Varissa Darke
Like I said before in the last chapter, I'm sorry if there are any typos. I type kind of fast and don't really pay attention to what I'm typing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aw, so sad, i do ask of u to slow down though, everything is going way to fast.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
1 Review
Added on June 8, 2010
Last Updated on June 8, 2010


Author

Varissa Darke
Varissa Darke

AR



About
Hi! My name is Abby, or Varissa to some. I am the 6th child of 8. I love music, such as AFI, Cinema Bizarre, Tokio Hotel, Before Their Eyes. (Just to name a few.) I love anime, including Vampire Knigh.. more..

Writing