When Home is Nowhere: Chapter 8

When Home is Nowhere: Chapter 8

A Chapter by Varissa Darke

       "Come on! I'm sure it won't be that bad!" Nuala tried to convince me. "You don't know my parents!" Nuala stomped her conversed foot. "I've never had any friends over so I know they're going to make a big deal out of it." I threw my books into my locker and slammed it shut. "Now come on. Are we taking my truck, your bike, or are you going to follow me?"

         Nuala wore a sly grin. "Have you ever riden a motorcycle?" I shook my head. "We'll get your truck tomorrow." My eyes widened.  "Maybe I shouldn't have suggested the bike." Nuala laughed and grabbed my wrist, pulling me out to the parking lot.

        Parked right next to my car was a black and red Ninja, looking perfect with Nuala's red and black plaid skirt and jacket. "Nuala, can I tell you a secret?" She laughed. "What?" "I'm scared out of my mind."

        Nuala jumped onto the bike and beckoned me. I hesitated, slowly making my way over. "Come on Mel, you gotta be faster than that." I bit my lip, then threw my leg over and steadied myself on top. First step, check. "Here." She said, handing me a helmet. "Since this is your first time, I'll let you wear it."

        Nuala kicked up the stand. "Where do my hands go?" I asked, feeling like a major noob. "Look, just put them around my waist." I did as she asked, expecting to feel really awkward, but it was actually confortable and once we actually headed off my grip around her waist actually tightened. Well, I guess that makes sense though. Especially with how fast she likes to drive.

        Once we arrived at my house, I jumped right off, taking Nuala with me and dragging her into my house.

         "Hey! No detention!" My mom joked. "Nope, not today. Mom, this is Nuala." I pushed Nuala forward lightly. She blushed and gave my mother a quick wave. I suddenly took a second glance at what my mother was wearing. A dark black dress from, like, the 1500's, that's skirt danced around her ankles, had a tight bodice with braided ropes around it, and gigantic puffy sleeves. She wore sandles that looked so beaten down and tattered. Her hair was braided at the temples and in a ponytail like Legolas from Lord of the Rings.

         "Mom!!!" I squealed. "What's up with the outfit?!?" She gave a slight smile. "I'm sorry Mel, I forgot that the MMA had a meeting tonight!" (MMA stands for Medieval Maidens Alliance. My mother is a member and goes to tthe meeting held every month. The women reenact a bunch of old battles and crap like that while the men sit around talking about the battles.)

          "Nuala, you can go ahead and stay, perhaps we can have dinner some other time, but I'm afraid we must go." My father appeared from the kitchen, dressed in a suit of armor. I burried my face in my hands, wishing they'd hurry up and leave. "You'll have to watch Mark too." My father said. "Ok, ok, just hurry up and leave!!"

          I could hear Nuala burst into laughter right after the door clicked shut. "Oh my god!" I groaned. She continued to laugh. "Ok, you win. Your parents are way worse than mine!" I shook my head and sighed. "Come on, let's just go up to my room and try and erase that picture from our mind."



© 2010 Varissa Darke


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's always comfortable :D
And it's good - hurry and write more :D

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 6, 2010
Last Updated on September 6, 2010


Author

Varissa Darke
Varissa Darke

AR



About
Hi! My name is Abby, or Varissa to some. I am the 6th child of 8. I love music, such as AFI, Cinema Bizarre, Tokio Hotel, Before Their Eyes. (Just to name a few.) I love anime, including Vampire Knigh.. more..

Writing