Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Enigma

“We watch. We Move. We Pray. We Kill With Thrill. To Die Another Day. What don’t you understand about that?” I groaned, throwing my glass into the sink. Crossing her arms she sighed, hanging her ahead a bit lower.

            “Look I’m sorry Barker. She needed help and I thought you could save her because you-“

            “I’ll cut your tongue if you bring that up.” I twisted, eyeing her immensely. She flinched and turned away. She was well aware of what she had done to me, and much less our whole group. It was a sheer obvious mistake. The Council would have seen everything Piper did, helping the lady up, tracking her car and getting a pin point on my house. Then we’d both be under serious suspicion until further notice.

            Even though they knew who had attacked her first. That’s just how the council worked. For all they cared we were two dead creatures in their filthy rich palms anyway. “I mean… how in the world are we going to infiltrate the broadcasting building? Please Piper, tell me.”

            “I don’t know…” She mumbled.

            “Damn it Piper TELL. ME.” I shouted, throwing a smooth knife in her direction. She paused, exhaling hard as she looked down. I growled, throwing various objects on the kitchen floor. She kept her eyes low as I shuffled past her. “You better figure it out before morning or so help me Master will know everything about you and what you’ve done... I don’t think he’ll want someone so naïve and ‘unsure’ apart of our revolution.” I spat.

            She twisted around and threw a swift punch in my direction. Dodging it I grabbed her arm, lifting her up. “I swear if you tell him anything… You’ll be dead.” She screamed.

            “Piper, come on now... We both know you would be dead first.” I snapped, letting her go. “As I said, figure it out. I mumbled, heading into my room. I left the door open to ensure she wouldn’t cause any trouble, but went straight to work on our next plan. Walking into the building would be a simple task as long as Piper and the “others” do their job correctly.

            I had always been curious about the few men and women outside out group Master enlisted to help in our petty crimes. They’d communicate with us here and there… but no one really knew what they looked like. He always told us to not think about it, and just do what we’re told. I guess it’s a smart plan... no one knowing who they are. Though a few of us believe they’re his scapegoat in the plans backfire, or if not, his greatest in the end.

            No matter… All I had to do was get the gear inside, get Piper inside, and seal off the room long enough to get the job done. I was to pose as a doctor, aiding in the call of a sick man who needs serious medical attention. The “others” would provide the ambulance, which is actually more of a hacking car. I would provide the tools on the inside, and Piper would hack the system.

            For the medical emergency, that’s more or less the tricky part. If Piper can’t get to the room before I do everything will be flawed because she has to “create” the emergency. If the man lives in the end will completely depend on how long we can stay in the building without having to haul the man out in the ambulance.

            “Barker, I’m sorry.” Piper mumbled, her arms crossed as she entered the doorway. She wasn’t one to just give in so easily so I knew it was a mere “Let’s just get this over with” apology. But it was sincere so I accepted.

            “Don’t worry about it. I was just tired and frustrated already… Anyway, have any ideas.” I turned, meeting her gaze. She responded with a slight shrug, biting her tongue for a few moments before speaking.

            “I just kind of hoped we’d be able to just walk in, and take over… Like robbing a bank. It’s a small building and with my flash drive I’d be able to crash or control the system from any other computer we have at the base.”

            “Piper… you’re forgetting about the officers?”

            “The “Others” will create an even bigger problem across the city if I explain to Master. We’ll deal with a few officers, but the rest will be cleaning up more government bodies I’m sure.”

            She had a good point… It would also save all of us a lot of expense and people needed to do the job in the end. Though knowing Piper, she would do something extremely caustic to kill a few government bodies. Leaning against my knees I sighed, running fingers through my hair before starting to tap my foot.

            “I think it could work… We’ll just have to find the right time of day and place to make it a BIG catastrophe…”

            “How about the opening day parade for the newest building they planned on constructing?  Lots of people, a few minor sheep’s to kill, lots of guards on the scene… we could either do a shoot out, or a simple bomb.” She smirked at the idea. I grinned slightly, coming to a stand. I walked over and placed my hands against her shoulders.

            “Piper... I will kill you if you fail this one. No alterations. “

            “I know.. No alterations or anything… Besides this job is so simple there isn’t any need for them. Once we take over the broadcasting tower we can do whatever the hell we want with the server so I figured I’d do a lot more altering then.” She laughed.

            “Yeah maybe…’ No one really knew what Master had in store for the broadcasting building but with that kind of freedom it was bound to be complete madness.

            Not that anyone was complaining. His bigger plans were always secretive. No one would know until they unraveled themselves or we put the dots together and figured it out which nearly never happened because he was too alliterate to let it happen. He always feared there were spies in our society. Threatening the lives of people who in the end, were completely innocent. Of course it didn’t stop him. He’d go so far as to kill someone he suspected. I was once a person of suspect even. His paranoia was beyond controllable and he feared I was leaking secrets because of how well I was able to “get the job done.”

            But he let it go once I proved myself yesterday, when I killed that man in the street.

 

*   *   *

            I had to get out of my house… as horrible as it is to say. It wasn't very safe anymore and killing anyone who appeared at my door claiming I was a suspect in something wasn't going to fly for much longer. Taking Piper we bolted after finishing the plans to see Master at his house. He was always welcoming to anyone apart of his plot. Though unexpectedly, Piper was silent the whole drive. Considering he lived far across town, it was an uneasy drive. Though I couldn't blame her not wanting to be around someone who threatened to kill her or destroy her livelihood.

            Reaching his house was a blessing. Nothing was hidden at his house, no one had to pretend, no one had to put on a mask in front of the cameras, and best of all it wasn't at all dark. No one was left in the shadows.

            “Ah! Piper, Barker! I’m so glad to see you two!” He boasted, inviting us inside. I smiled and stepped inside still feeling a bit cautious. “Though… It’s almost morning. I wasn't expecting you so soon.” He sighed placing his hand against his head. “I guess it’s better to discuss anything we can before we put it into action though. So please, make yourself at home. I’ll be with you shortly.” He smiled.

            It was a deep smile. The ones that made you smile, only you had no idea why so you were left feeling empty as though you missed a good joke. But we were always at home when we were around Master, so again, I couldn't complain. Piper was in a far better mood, grinning and choking on her words anytime she was given the chance to even speak to him.

            Thinking about it I preferred the silent Piper... much easier to deal with. Master returned with his wife Beatrice, and sat down in front of Piper and I eyeing us intently.

            “Well… How’re they to die this time?” was all he needed to say. 



© 2013 Enigma


Author's Note

Enigma
Reviews/Critique is much appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
Added on July 10, 2013
Last Updated on July 10, 2013
Tags: Death, Love, Life, Piper, Barker, Master, Plans, Totalitarian, Deep, Prose, Knifes, Arguing, Anger, I don't know


Author

Enigma
Enigma

SC



About
I was never meant to be, so why am I still here? more..

Writing
Tea Tea

A Poem by Enigma


Locked Locked

A Poem by Enigma