Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Enigma

Piper was bed ridden, unable to properly stand, sit up or do much of anything with heavy assistance. She looked me over and listened to the nurse who was stationed in her room insists I get my shoulder checked out. I finally convinced her to fetch me some simple pain medicine long enough to speak to Piper.

"So how are you?" was the only thing I was able to muster out. She grimaced and positioned herself on her elbows. Weak and shaky she still looked as pissed as ever.

"Where's the hostage?" she coughed.

"Edgar. He's at the house with Beatrice... No one was back so I figured it'd be okay. He's tied so nothing can happen." she nodded.

"Well what do we do about him then...?"

"I offered to have him join us. If he has the stomach for it. He showed some courage when we talked and-"

"He's not your pet. You have to seriously consider him as being one of us, Barker." she growled looking away.

"I know this, it'll be perfectly fine if he decides to live. No worries other than you and your stomach. What was the damage?" I asked as the nurse walked into the room with some water and the pills.

"Your friend here is lucky to be alive. Almost bleed out on the hospital floor. She punctured her stomach lining badly and was suffering from heavy bleeding and burning..." she started to feel uneasy. "God Bless anyone able to survive those sick bombings..." I sighed and swallowed those pills hard as Piper laid back down and closed her eyes.

"So how are you two related? Are you married-"

"Oh no no no. We're just friends I assure you..." I said dramatically. Piper flashed me a look of question but I ignored it. The nurse smiled as they do, already assuming we were in.a relationship and left us alone after fixing her IV.

"What do you think the others are going to do to him?" she said sounding drowsy. I looked at my watch and shrugged even though she couldn't see it.

"They're all probably back, stuffing their faces so.... anything is possible. Everything went perfect today." I leaned against my arm listening to.the lights buzz.

"What are you hiding Barker?" she broke the silence. "Why did you join the cult?

Everyone had their reason to fight but what about you...? I'm sure the fight won't be going on much longer here in London. They'll only be able to take so much of us benefits they get pissed enough to listen... So.what is it you'll want when it comes?" she muttered. I sighed and closed my eyes realising I was just as drained as she was. I thought hard about her question, but couldn't come to find a good enough lie.

So I gave her half the truth.

"To get back what was stolen from me, like everyone else." I stammered. She said something out of earshot before drifting off. I sighed and slapped myself a few times before leaving her to sleep. Her words kept floating around in mind as I left the hospital, which was conveniently close to the town square.  I tried to find my lost ego as I walked past the sobbing, shaken crowed that still surrounded themselves around the scene hours after it happened, officers on hand. I had a meeting with an"other" known as Bartholomew. He and I were always in contact with each other whenever we had the chance. He was a highly skilled ex-marine and heavy supporter of our group. The one who convinced me to even join, was the man who cost me everything.

"Barker! Ah nice to see you ya?" he clapped, before shaking my hand. I gave a weak smile and took a seat in our reserved section.

"Nice to see you too..." I yawned checking my phone. It was almost 7:30pm.

"I have to cut the meeting short today Barth, so have you gotten anymore news for me?" I sighed.

"Your brother wants to see you... I caught wind of him talking about you today to a few other surviving councilman. He was concerned about you apparently."  I shrugged about it for a moment before thinking about how it'd be beneficial.

"Matty is just a political animal... He doesn't care about what I have to say and you know that."

"I know. But go see him... He'll have the real answers this time." he grunted, sipping his beer. For an old man he was nothing but wise. I agreed to see my brother answer said my goodbye to Bartholomew. I'd be seeing him again the day after next so it wasn't too much of a bother this time. My brother was a council member. One of the wealthiest in fact, and the only people who knew were Bartholomew, also a council member, and a reluctant Master. Who again, was part of the-now- sixty or so members. He told me because Matty had told me. Another reason he suspected me a conspirator way back.when.

Nonetheless we were all tied in one way or another. Matty  had my answers, Master knew my questions and Bartholomew was the middleman. He knew my real reason for joining and would be the only one to know until the day came for me to reveal all our secrets. Stepping outside I quickly walked down the street and got in a cab. Hopefully that day wouldn't come to pass.

Returning to Masters house I was greeted by an uproar. Edgar was still in his chair, in the middle of the living room while everyone else was.Im the family room, screaming about how to handle him. Beatrice, with an look of relief put me in charged and left the room. I was being screamed at next, being called weak, stupid, a hindrance, and anything else relating to useless. I sat in patience waiting for them to stop but things got worse whenever the unlucky John, said something about Piper.

"Beatrice told us," he started. "she wouldn't be hurt if you hadn't been such a-" my knee slammed into.his mouth. He pulled back and screamed, having almost bit through his tongue. Everyone got quiet as John ran out of the room to find Beatrice.

"Edgar, our tied up friend is going to be joining us. I was caught in a life or death situation with Piper and yes, it was my fault she got hurt. It's best we hope for her recovery and welcome Edgar with high hopes. Master has big plans for him I assure you. We can't forget our goal here people... Just relax until master returns."

I sighed. My head was throbbing and I couldn't think straight anymore so I ended my pathetic speech then and there... Edgar was last on my list of confrontations for the day so I saved my energy for him. It wasn't master that needed him to join, I needed him.

He was just going to be another twisted secret.


© 2014 Enigma


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on January 26, 2014
Last Updated on January 26, 2014


Author

Enigma
Enigma

SC



About
I was never meant to be, so why am I still here? more..

Writing
Tea Tea

A Poem by Enigma


Locked Locked

A Poem by Enigma