Heart of Glass. [Chapter Six.]

Heart of Glass. [Chapter Six.]

A Chapter by

Through the blurry haze of my usual overflow of tears, I thought I saw my husband. My dead husband. When I shut my eyes and opened them once more, he was still standing before me, but closer than before. I held my breath as I heard his own steady breathing, my eyes automatically finding his own. I felt my heart soar as his frown twisted into a light-hearted smile. A sapphire eye winked at me as he stepped even closer, making my insides freeze instantly with the sudden movement. Gently, gracefully, he knelt before me, slowly removing the tape from my mouth.


"Wh-what are you doing here?" I managed to ask, my voice barely a whisper. Disbelief was still overwhelming within me.


"I'm here to tell you something you may not know." With the sound of his voice, I closed my eyes, absorbing every word and memorizing the tone and softness hidden between. His soft hand was now on my cheek, as his lips continued to move, forming words like never before. "There's a secret here. One your capturer may not acknowledge, or have any information about. We can be together again, we can fix things from the beginning. Veronica, you must listen to me." His last words were like a plea, as I began to shake my head. This was all an illusion, a hallucination.


None of this was real, whether I wanted it to be, or not. I searched within his words, making my heart clench even more with a sting of pain. Everything now was in my head, I had finally reached the highest level of insanity. Footsteps sounded off in the other room, right on cue, signalling that the hallucination would soon vanish as reality wrapped itself around me, choking me with all of the pressure and strength it soon revealed in life.
"Veronica, my dear, we haven't the time for you to sort things out in that head of yours. Please cooperate with me, here. I want another chance with you, possibly a lifetime, if it comes down to it. Please tell me that you'll believe and that you'll listen to me." His words were now ushered, as the footsteps grew closer by the minute.


"I believe you. Tell me what to do." Those words seemed foreign on my own tongue, confusion lingering along with them. My own lips were now deceiving me, but it seemed as though I were no longer in control. It was my heart that was winning this battle, not my mind. It was what I wanted, not what I believed, or disbelieved.


A smooth finger pointed towards the vault hidden along the wall. I cocked my head, for I had not seen it before ever since I had spent time trapped in this sewage.


"How will I reach that?" My voice rose as he began to faulter away, making my heart hammer in my chest as I heard the footsteps nearby. They had stopped and my breath was now coming out, both jagged and rapid.

"
You will find a way if you really want it." He whispered the last words before disappearing altogether. I felt my heart break once more as he left, my eyes finding the vault again. As much as I didn't want to believe all of this was true, I found myself slowly standing, taking the chair with me, and making my way towards the vault. When I heard the sound of the familiar turning of the door knob, my knees began wobbling and I messed with the lock on the vault, throwing myself inside. The chair was gone, the ropes were gone, my burns were no longer visible, and, as I looked at myself in an unusual mirror, my own eyes widened in surprise.


My wavy black hair layered down, almost waist length. A medium black dress with a single bow was covering my skin. As I lifted my finger towards the mirror, inching closer and closer, my reflection did the exact same. His words were true; I had gone back in time.



© 2010


Author's Note

Criticism is needed.
Tell me what you honestly think.
I won't be offended whatsoever. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Terrible. Your piece wasn't terrible, it was what happened in it. The story is sad, but good.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting! I like the twist and new turn your story has taken. :) I'll read on!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kind of darkish? eh, :) I liked it :) a lot :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Hmmmm. I'm interested. The only thing is that his lines sound scripted. I'm not sure if that was on purpose. He sounds ghostly, but very slightly affeminante (Spelling?) Anyway, its fine as a part of his character, but I thought I'd mention that.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

urm, seriously i find it hard to critic this piece...to be honest this is the kind of story that i prefer, a bit slow in pace and more on detail, I like that a lot in the story, I love the opening where she met her husband back in that dreamy condition...Like i said I prefer this kind of story...Lovely, but i must say that maybe not many readers would like this kind of read, it's a matter of taste but if you like to write something like this my suggestion is keep on going..you have something there...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
5 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 9, 2010
Last Updated on December 9, 2010


Author


Writing
Escape. Escape.

A Story by