The shock

The shock

A Chapter by dicey jones
"

those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often

"
He was shocked, his brain was streaming with thoughts, trying to process the message that an ended abruptly. He wouldn't lift off his eyes from the radioscope, like everyone else in the room he hoped the voice would come back on and make clear it's claim on a war. They waited for a time that seemed like eternity, yet it wasn't.   
The radioscope flicked red; the connections were lost, everyone yet still remained silent. Three years back he wouldn't even flinch on a rumor of war - he was on land, surrounded with armored cars, riffles and whatever one could find in the game version of metal gear. He loved the game, even finished it. But this wasn't the case.
No one would be insane enough to fight a battle below sea, at this depth there would be victor. A place that is so dark it will be suffice to say it had never seen a sun ray, totally void of life existence. The idea of him stationed here was hysterical, what business have they here? He remembered the general had told him "here you'll face your greatest challenge, have your wildest dream".
God hope this wasn't what he meant, if there is going to be a war, this wasn't one i'd like to participate in. I am going to die even before i put my pants on. He felt scared, the thought of death had never been personal, every soldier thinks of death but never of dying. This might be my greatest challenge, it can't be my wildest dream. Who wakes up from such a dream? He allowed his thoughts silently flow through him like he was in a trance.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************General fox watched the face of everyone, he saw the fear that registered, all shocked. They were all basically weirdos, geeks and nerds, all incapable of combat. They have every reason to be afraid of a war or any likelihood of it attesting to the fact they were 3000m below sea. This wasn't quantum theory, this is reality. He smirked. 
He felt disappointed, a bit slightly angry. How come of all persons he too would be afraid, and worst he expressively showed it. He wasn't supposed to on both cases. A soldier knows he never should show his weakness or fears...the enemy takes advantage of that. 
"Mike!" his voice vibrated the large control room. The first shout in hours. Since the message ended no one spoke louder than a whisper, whatever they were cautious of they had no idea. "a time for war wasn't a time to talk"
He recognized the voice. Just the man he'd been looking for, during the whole incident of the transposer and the message" as the situation have come to be know as. He loved nerds, there uncanny ability to name events was superior. He knew the general had been around all the time, only he was no where to be seen. The man had an habit of been ghost mode. 
Walking past the ever busy trios, always working on somethings in containers with the BEWARE logo placed on them. Janet, Justin and Jake never smiled, he never blamed them. Having to live under sea for almost half a decade will have a effect on one and it won't be the "am jolly good" type. 
"Hey!" he greeted them, no response. It's been this way since he knew them, they never respond they just stare from behind the nerdy glasses and go on with there work. He wondered why. 
"Sir" he caught up with the general as he was  moving out of the room. "why do those three never speak?" he asked
"I am more concerned of the faces' the general spoke flatly. 
"Yeah. You noticed didn't you?" he sounded rhetorical. 
"That's my job, to notice" the general paused looked into the dark room. Everything was in place, the day he'd been waiting for had come.
"And before you ask i might  just save your breath and tell you; there is goining to be a war"
He wasn't afraid of a war! hope the general hadn't assumed that, he already did. What was more crucial was what war? with whom and how come? The questions kept flowing round his mind. 
"Who fights a war under sea?" he brought himself to ask.
The general laughed, his first laugh in years. Everyone present watched in awe. What was making him laugh? since apparently no one should even be smiling. 
"Did i say something funny sir?" Mike was puzzled. The only time he ever saw this man ever close to even smiling was when he heard his daughter had graduated college, only for her to die in an accident, pathetic. Since then this would be the first time he'd probably be laughing in eight years. 
"No. I just felt a need to laugh, that's all" his face was back to be stern. "and back to your question. People who fight under sea are people not from this world"
What is he saying, maybe he is joking. Only he never jokes. "Sir are you saying we might be at war with aliens"
"More like that, yes i am" 
"But how come, so far our world only exists in the universe, we are the only intelligent matter" He felt foolish for thinking selfish. 
General Fox looked him in the eye, patted him on the back and spoke with in a manner that was convincing "There is more than one of everything." 
He mind had just received a blow. If he meant everything he had just said....

This would become my wildest dream, hope i wake.


© 2013 dicey jones


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on March 23, 2013
Last Updated on March 23, 2013
Tags: Fantasy, Sci-fic, Aliens, Tesla.


Author

dicey jones
dicey jones

Aboki, Nigeria



About
All i wanna do is simply to just write... more..

Writing
Don't be Don't be

A Poem by dicey jones