Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Brett Michael Wagner

I have been a spiritual seeker for sometime now. I've immersed myself in various teachings and books: everything from the New Testament to the Buddha's Dhammapada; Henry David Thoreau's Walden to Jack Kerouac's wild spontaneous accounts of his life, Greek and Eastern philosophy and everything in between. I've come to believe that there is truth in all paths that are honestly seeking it. I believe we are here simply to love and honor ourselves, God, and each other; to appreciate Nature and Life, and to enjoy each moment we are alive.
My studies have inspired me to go beyond an intellectual understanding of these various ideaologies; I decided to live them out as best I can. As an experiment, in the fall of 2012 I hit the road, becoming something of a religious wanderer. I hitch hiked to Phoenix, AZ and by choice, I denied all sense of possessions and lived among the subterranean homeless, striving to help them in any way I could; at times literally giving the shirt off my back. I don't write this to brag, I just want to share how amazing an experience this was. I made true peace with myself and God. I proved to myself that what these writings were saying about charity and surrender  was true. All anxiety completely disappeared, and I was finally able to come out of my shell, express myself, and meet some amazing people. This is a story for another day, however.
In April 2013, I ended up coming back home to Tennessee and I started a job at a grimey chicken factory, living a miserable, awful 9-5 routine. I lost touch spiritually, and the old anxiety returned. I was nothing more than a cog in the wheel of a great machine; easily overlooked, easily replaced. I had to escape; I had to rediscover what I had found in Phoenix.
On September 10, 2013, I walked away from that machine. Without a plan, with nothing but the clothes I was wearing and a little money in my pocket, I started walking down the road.


© 2013 Brett Michael Wagner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
Added on October 18, 2013
Last Updated on October 20, 2013


Author

Brett Michael Wagner
Brett Michael Wagner

Ft. Wayne, IN



About
I'm 24, I've always been interested in writing, and I'd like a place to share it to see what others think. I love traveling, music, and philosophy. more..

Writing