Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Brett Michael Wagner

        The next morning I ate a breakfast of omelets and hashbrowns at Jone's Restaurant. Very tasty. I set back out, continuing to walk down 90. I had no luck with rides, but I didn't care, the only thing that mattered was getting down that dusty road and seeing what was around the next curve. I came across a little Amish store some miles down the road in Marrowbone, KY. I bought some trail mix and water. Outside the overcast sky finally let loose in a downpour, and I sought shelter in an vine-chocked abandoned house on the side of the highway. I squatted there for the night and the rest of the next day because it continued storming.
The next day was clear and I started walking again. I had talked to my friend in Green bay, WI and I made plans to go up there and stay awhile. So my destination was Glasgow to get onto I-65 N.  I walked through the small towns which names' I have forgotten. A man picked me up and took me a few miles up the road to a crossroads gas station in Beaumont. I ate lunch there and then headed back out.
Hours later, after passing more than a few yard sales and men mowing (it was a perfect day to mow, and everyone seemed to know, the freshly cut grass air was quite intoxicating) I was  picked up by a trucker who had just dropped off a load of logs. He was super country, with a tough hide that had borne many years of labor and elements. He had a friendly smile, and sitting in his overalls you could just tell he was a genuine person. We talked about our worklives; he had retired, but had to start driving a truck again for the extra money. He drove me by his house and his wife called him when she saw him drive by. And here I was again being a part of a total stranger's life. What a great experience.
He got me into Glasgow and I went to a Wal-Mart to stock up on supplies;  a backpack, clothes, and a phone charger. I slept that night on a little pad I made behind a Save A Lot.


© 2013 Brett Michael Wagner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
Added on October 18, 2013
Last Updated on October 20, 2013


Author

Brett Michael Wagner
Brett Michael Wagner

Ft. Wayne, IN



About
I'm 24, I've always been interested in writing, and I'd like a place to share it to see what others think. I love traveling, music, and philosophy. more..

Writing