Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Brett Michael Wagner

        I want more out of life than success. Money is of no value to me. I wish to prove that it's possible to follow your dreams, whatever they may be; that it's possible to work to live, and not the other way around -- that one can fully rely on God and oneself to live a full and meaningful life.
It was sunset when I started walking west on Highway 90 in Albany, KY. As the sun sank further towards the horizon, a misty fog formed in the hills, and the crickets began chirping in their choirs; I tried to march in time, following their beat, the thud of my boots sounding like the rhythym of the road... of life itself. I was picked up from a man who also worked at the chicken factory. He told me he worked maintence, but times were hard and he had to pick up a second job. He said he felt lucky because his job was, in his eyes, easier than the one I had had, but I'm not so sure if he's lucky.
Let me say one thing; I'm not against work. I enjoy being busy, and I'm far from a bum. But I see so many people under the extraordinary weight of debt and work. They think there is no other choice. Why do we choose to live this way, to gain material things that we can't afford, that mean nothing in the grand scheme of things? There has to be more to life than chasing fleeting fortunes and inanimate objects.


© 2013 Brett Michael Wagner


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
Added on October 18, 2013
Last Updated on October 20, 2013


Author

Brett Michael Wagner
Brett Michael Wagner

Ft. Wayne, IN



About
I'm 24, I've always been interested in writing, and I'd like a place to share it to see what others think. I love traveling, music, and philosophy. more..

Writing