Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jessica Fox

 

            I have to say one thing about our high school it looks like any other institution from the outside, inside they have made it look like school meets a ski lodge. Students milled around the hallways, the different colognes, perfumes and scents cloistering with one another making a mish mash of smells that made me grow sick. I found Amanda by the bank of lockers surrounded by a few of her friends. I put my head down and plowed through the student body, there were grunts and shouts as I pushed my way through the sea of bodies.

She wasn’t the only one that could be bossy, I threw my weight around when I had to, and usually people just started walking in the other direction when they saw me. Today however I didn’t give them the chance, I was becoming irritated again and Amanda’s little prediction didn’t put me into better spirits.

            Three pairs of eyes turned to glare at me when I approached the lockers; I could see Amanda’s eyes were red and puffy, tearstains streaking down her pale cheeks. The girls glared at me harder as Amanda let out another sob. I looked at them and stood my ground. What were they angry with me for? She’s the one that said I was going to die, not like I woke up today and said “yes today seems like a good day to die.”

I tossed her bag at her feet and stared into her tear-stained face, there was no way I was going to be blamed for her crying. It was bad enough her little coven friends did not like me, but I will not have them putting some kind of hex on me for hurting her.

            “I will see you in class Amanda, and maybe you should explain to your friends why you are crying before they take their broomsticks and beat me with them,” I said through gritted teeth and sneered at Brittany, the tallest girl in the herd who looked like she could strangle me. She glared back and then I smiled knowing I had irritated her even more. I blew a kiss to the rest of the girls and dashed down the hall. I could hear them muttering and cursing me, and I knew my day was complete I managed to irritate three people and the school day didn’t even begin.

            I wasn’t watching where I was going and in my mad dash to escape the witches of Smoky High I collided into something solid and warm. I fell down unceremoniously on my butt and muttered as everything in my backpack scattered across the floor. I cursed again and the wall I crashed into turned to look at me. He was bending down to help me pick up my stuff, I growled a warning at him, and he stopped to stare at me curiously.

            “I’m sorry but you ran into me shouldn’t I be the one growling.” I rolled my eyes, reached for my iPod, and looked around frantically for my phone. His scent was overwhelming and making my head spin, he was also throwing off a lot of body heat and while I liked heat, he was making me feel uncomfortable. I muttered and stood still as another pair of legs came into my range of vision.

The strange musky scent from earlier made me look up into a pair of eyes the same color as mine. He grinned and then I felt the brick wall of a man I ran into stiffen behind me. I saw my phone in the stranger’s hand and I glared at him, he flinched, only to continue grinning at me.

            “I think you dropped this, I’m sorry if my cousin knocked you down.” I stood up and snatched my phone out of his hand angrily; he looked at me and frowned slightly.

            “Not very friendly are you? I heard about southern hospitality and frankly I’m not impressed.” Something about him made the tiny hairs on the back of my neck raise and I narrowed my eyes at him.

            “Well I’m sorry to disappoint you new kid, no one asked for your opinion, thanks for my phone.” Shock and humor touched his blue gray eyes and I turned around to run into the same guy I did before, his arms shot out to grab me before I fell down again. He was starting to get on my nerves as well, the bell for first period rang and I cursed loudly causing everyone around us to look.

The guy behind me started laughing and said something about me being off my meds and to just move along. I stiffened and tried wriggling out of the iron grasp of the brick wall. I had a retort tickling the tip of my tongue when I looked over the shoulder of the one who held me and saw the history teacher coming towards us. I have never been happier to see Mrs. O’Mallory, she raised her coppery brows and looked at me.

            “Is there a problem here gentlemen?” her accent thicker with disapproval.

            “Sorry ma’am we were just helping the young lady she had a spill.” I gritted my teeth at the irritating voice of the blond haired one behind me. She flickered her eyes from both boys and then to me.

            “Is that true Miss Brooks?” Blondie brushed past me chuckling, he was unusually muscled for a seventeen year old. He was my height, yet he seemed larger than me somehow.

            “Well I was rushing off to class and I ran into this one.” I nodded to the dark haired creep that still had a hold of me. Mrs. O’Mallory stared at me and then tapped my captor on the shoulder, he spun around so fast I nearly lost my balance and landed against the wall. I was glad he was hanging on to me at that moment.

            “Sorry you startled me, I’m sorry.” He let go of me and dashed off in the opposite direction of the teacher and I. We stood staring after him stunned, my jaw was hanging on the floor and my head was spinning. Mrs. O’Mallory’s eyes were wide with shock too, it was the first time that I saw her shocked and the look on her perfectly put together face was hilarious. I stifled a giggle, which made her clear her throat and she went back to looking like a spokes model for Vogue magazine.

            “Well let us get to class.” She sighed and stalked off towards the hall, I caught a glimpse of Blondie from the history room and groaned, why did he have to be in my class. Part of me was screaming to run, go back home and hide under the covers, the other part of me was morbidly curious. I looked over my shoulder, I could feel eyes burning into my back, only, I didn’t see anyone. I shrugged and headed to class, maybe I can get more information out of Amanda during lunch. Until then I would have to just swallow the fear and the curiosity and get through until lunch.

            I ran into the classroom and saw the only free seat was next to Blondie he grinned and patted the desk next to him. I scowled and made my way to the back of the class; some of the girls in class were eyeing him and then glared at me when I sat down next to him. Well frankly, anyone of them could switch places with me I would prefer to get a root canal then sit next to him.  I felt his warm moist breath on my ear and tried to refrain from slapping him in the face.

            “You smell delicious.” I turned slowly and stared into his smoldering eyes, his lips were very close to my face and he was just a little too close for my comfort. Personally, I could deal with horny teenage boys; the occasional one has come up to me and well offered a few things that I had no interest in.

 This one however had the air of someone older, he was almost predatory in nature, which was fine, and I could play that game too. I smiled and ran my fingers along his face; the face slightly rounded giving him an almost innocent appearance. He leaned into my touch and smelled my wrist; I yanked back instinctively and saw his eyes lighten in their color.

            “If you touch me again, I will personally see to it that you need a wheelchair to get to class.” I yanked my attention back to the front of class, the people around us were looking away, something spooked them, and I’m thinking it was the same thing that made me yank away from him. Mrs. O’Mallory walked in and saw him sitting in the back of the class; I hid my smile at the unhappy look on her face.

            “Class, it seems we have a new student.” Her voice was strained and I could see her gritting her teeth. Something was certainly rotten at this school and it wasn’t the cafeteria food. Blondie laughed and stood up, his presence filling up the room.

            “Thanks my name is Dylan Jacobs and I transferred here from Texas.” He smiled and I heard the girls in the room sigh, I rolled my eyes as he sat down and looked smugly at me. Mrs. O’Mallory’s expression reminded me of a drowned cat; I hid my amused expression behind my history book. The bell rang and I saw the hoard of girls coming towards us, and I wanted out of there before they flocked around Dylan.

 I stuffed my things into my bag and ran towards the door. I was nearly out of the door when an arm snaked around my waist possessively and held me close. I looked down in shock and then at the herd of angry girls, they started whispering to one another and I was quickly ushered out of the classroom.

            When we were out in the hall, I turned on Dylan and stabbed my finger into his chest.

            “What do you think you’re doing? Do you want me to beat the crap out of you?” A bewildered expression played on his face and I heard the hormonal part of me going aww how cute is he and he chose you! That part of my brain I wanted to stab with a q-tip, he wasn’t cute, he was being a pain. He kissed my forehead and walked off laughing, I stared at him with my mouth in a tight grimace my finger still pointing at the air where his chest used to be.

            “Looks like the Brooks b*****s get all the men.” I stiffened and turned to stare at the pack leader of the girl herd. I raised an eyebrow and she tossed her perfectly coiffed hair over her shoulder glaring at me. She smiled but it was a fake smile, well why should that surprise me since everything else about her was fake.

            “Oh look its redneck Barbie. To what do I owe the displeasure of having you talk to me today?” I smiled as I saw her grow furious at my insult, well the irritating people count went up yet again and it wasn’t even lunch time, I was on a roll today. She tottered on her heels and towered over me. She smelled of designer imposter perfume and mint gum. She eyed me; I stood there and let her size me up. One good shove and she’ll be on the ground with her heels over her head.

            “I would watch my back if I were you gypsy scum.” She spat in my face and walked off. I closed my eyes and suppressed the urge to rip her bleached blond hair out by the roots; the other girls looked at my shaking body and hurried off after their leader. They were afraid and they should be, I looked at the girl’s back and narrowed my eyes, letting a low growl escape from my parted lips.

            “I’m not the one that needs to watch my back Dawn.” She stiffened and turned to look at me, fear briefly flitted across her face and then she turned back and started walking down the hall. My breathing was coming in harsh ragged gasps, my blood was boiling and I had the uncontrollable urge to punch something. I closed my eyes and thought of the woods, covered in mist, the sweet smell of ferns and wood.

When I was calm, I made my way to my next class and glared when I saw Dylan again. His smiled broadened and I saw Amanda eyeing him warily. She caught my eye and smiled weakly, she looked better from this morning, something was still off.

            “Vic this is Dyl…” she looked from my angry gaze to his amused smile, she opened her mouth in a small ‘o’ shape and tried to make herself as small as possible.

            “Yeah I had the displeasure of meeting him earlier. You know what sis I’m going to skip class for the rest of the day.” Dylan looked at me and then at Manda, smiling even wider, I rolled my eyes again and waited for Amanda to let me know what she was doing.

            “That sounds great; Michael and I will join you.” I saw Amada look worriedly at me and then at Dylan. He was leaning back in the chair his sandy hair falling over his eyes, his grin wide.

            “I’m sorry new guy, again no one hit your buzzer to voice your opinion. Also I don’t remember asking if you wanted to join me.” I looked at Amanda and she was avoiding my eyes now and staring at the desk. Then the horrible realization hit me, she was trying to set me up with this arrogant pretty boy. My jaw clenched and his deep rumbling laughter drew my attention back to him.

            “You are too cute when you’re angry. We’ll take my car.” He stood up and I continued glaring at Amanda who was wiggling uncomfortably under my gaze. He ruffled my hair and punched my arm playfully. Then he leaned in and I felt the bristles on his cheek scratch my neck. “I’ll even let you play with my stick shift.” I continued to glare at Amanda.

            “I’m sorry sis; I can drive your truck home.” Her voice was really small and I threw my keys at her.

            “Do not touch the stations and if you so much as get a ding on it you’re dead meat. We will talk about this thing with Mr. Arrogant pants later.” My teeth were clenched and my jaw was starting to ache.

            “I saw them both, one light and one dark. The dark one will be your death sissy, stay with Dylan he will keep you safe.” Tears started in her eyes, I was not going to stand here and watch her burst into tears again. Her words chilled me again; I needed to deal with Dylan, why was I getting in a strange car with someone I don’t know?

            Because you don’t have any friends other than Amanda and no matter how mean you are to him he still finds you amusing. I muttered and told my brain to shut up, although there was some truth behind the rules, if he wasn’t so arrogant he would be more tolerable. I wasn’t watching where I was going and ran into something solid and warm for the second time today. I looked up and saw the dark haired cousin of Dylan, his eyes looked at me sadly and he smiled.

            “You really need to stop running into me, maybe you should wear a bell around your neck so everyone knows when you’re around.” His voice was deep and pleasant with a southern twang to it. I lifted my head indignant at the insults that just kept being thrown at me.

            “Whatever let’s go since your cousin invited himself along to ditch class with me.” He raised his eyebrows and I noticed his hair was slightly wavy and hung down to the middle of his back. He was also massive like Dylan, I would have guessed they played football, unlike the jocks at this school; they seemed to have all their brain cells intact.

            “I’m sorry Dylan likes you though and you’re the only one that hasn’t treated us like freaks.” We started walking towards the front door and I noticed that everyone was looking everywhere except at us. That was strange, I’m used to being stared at and sometimes ignored, Michael like his cousin were both pretty hot. The girls should have been eyeing him as if he was a chocolate bar.

 Instead, everyone was avoiding us as if we had bad body odor. Something was definitely rotten at Smoky Mountain High. I didn’t realize that Michael was talking to me and that we were standing outside in the parking lot. I looked up at the sky and groaned, it had turned steely gray and cottony flakes were falling.

            “What did you say?” I stared at my Durango and sighed. I didn’t want Amanda driving it, she drove like a maniac.

            “I asked if the students were always like that and I also asked if you were cold.” His eyes were full of curiosity and concern. I shrugged and flakes fell into my eyes, I grumbled and slapped my sunglasses on. We made our way towards a red jeep wrangler and I let out a whistle, it was an off road wet dream. Large tires, it reminded me of a mini monster truck, fog lights lined the top of it and the push bar was chrome. Dylan looked pleased and opened the door for me offering a hand to help me up but I scowled at him.

            “Well with your astounding grace I just thought that you would need some help.” I stuck my tongue out at him and hopped in the back seat. I inhaled deeply and sighed, it still had that new car smell, it also smelled like cedar, woods, mud, and of course something masculine. I was in euphoria, Amanda couldn’t understand my need to go out and run around in the mud, she also didn’t understand my obsession with riding the trails on my four wheeler. Dylan was grinning at me in the rearview mirror his teeth gleaming.

            “Where to?” I snapped out of my dream and smiled, maybe if I was nice he would let me drive it. Michael was looking at me worriedly; he looked away when I caught his eyes and flushed bright red.

            “SmokyMountainNational Park and step on it.” Dylan nodded and turned on the stereo, it rumbled the backseat and I was practically purring. Oh how I wish my truck had this system!

            “Next stop the great Smoky Mountains.” Dylan put the jeep in gear and we were speeding along the road that took us to the national park. Maybe they weren’t so bad after all, maybe I can tolerate Dylan’s arrogance, I sighed in contentment. There were many maybes.



© 2009 Jessica Fox


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

high school sucks at least its over for us now. way to go.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 27, 2009
Last Updated on March 2, 2009


Author

Jessica Fox
Jessica Fox

City of Fallen Angels, NJ



About
Check out my new Booksie Site booksie site The new single Automatic by Tokio Hotel I'm on Twitter, so yeah if you want to follow me just go here to follow my Twitter Please order our new book The.. more..

Writing