Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Jessica Fox

 

            We pulled into the gravel lot and the snow was starting to fall harder, I muttered again and made sure my cell phone was fully charged. It wasn’t even November yet and we were getting snow, this was going to be a depressing winter. I felt the rush of cold air against my skin and my senses prickled. I was always happier outside, I might not be a big fan of sunlight or the cold, however, I do love being out in the woods. Which was why I was happy when mom found the old log cabin we’re living in. I loved it; I loved hearing the rain patter on the tin roof, and listening to the wind howl through the forest surrounding us.

            “Come on Vic are you going to sit in my jeep and daydream?”  I smiled despite myself, I yanked the hoodie off and saw Dylan and Michael’s eyes widen in shock. I looked down at the black t-shirt and raised an eyebrow.

            “What is your issue you never saw a 17 year old with a belly ring and tattoos before?” Michael turned crimson and Dylan was still staring at me openmouthed, I was starting to feel self-conscious so I yanked the hoodie back on and stalked off towards the woods. Let them try to catch up I was home. I closed my eyes, lifted my head to scent the air, and sighed. The heady scent of leaves, pine needles, and pungent musky odors of the animals stirred my senses. I caught the scent of the animal that was near my house. I crouched low in the snow and pulled the hood up on my sweatshirt.

            I caught the glint of icy blue eyes and black fur slinking among the trees; I let a low growl escape from my throat and watched the form carefully. This was not one of the local wolves, I knew the local wolves, and we seemed to have an understanding. It was one of my many talents; my animal magnetism is what made me at one with nature. Well there was another reason too. The wolf eyed me and I narrowed my eyes returning its glare, I didn’t hear the twigs snap behind me, I did smell the other wolf as it leapt at me.

            I felt the snow brush my face and I rolled out of the way, glaring at the two wolves facing one another. The forest filled with their angry snarls and I stood up brushing leaves and wet snow off my jeans. I was furious, whoever these newcomers were, I muttered because they needed to be taught their manners. I stalked towards the wolves and they looked at me curiously. Their lips pulled back over their teeth. I stepped between them, a normal person would have run, I’m not normal.

            “Listen up, this is my territory and if you want to fight, take it out of my territory.” I stared at the large bristling wolf, his amber eyes looked away, a sharp nip on my hip made me turn around and snarl at the black wolf. I dropped down to his level and grabbed his silky muzzle in my hand, he struggled to free himself, and I growled holding his glare. There was something vaguely familiar about this wolf; I couldn’t place what it was.

            “Who are you?” The wolf wrenched out of my hand and tackled me to the ground, his huge paws pushed on my shoulders and I grunted under the weight of the beast. He nuzzled the side of my neck, the soft huffing noises of his breath against my ear, I tried to push him off because he was heavy, then he licked the side of my face. I sat up and pushed him off scrambling back away from him, he sat on his haunches staring at me, his teeth bared in a wolfish grin, his tongue lolling out of the side of his mouth. I started laughing at the look on his face and he yipped.

            “Weirdo, whoever you are may we meet again.” I scratched him between his ears and headed off towards the woods to find Michael and Dylan. My skin was alive and I knew that the full moon would be upon us soon. I sighed and leaned against the rough bark of a birch tree, the forest called to me, the mountains called to me, Mother Nature was calling to her children. I looked up at the steely sky and let the snow flakes kiss my heated skin and tangle in my matted hair.

“Where have you been we have been looking for you?” I lifted my head from the tree and scented the air, I saw Dylan eyeing me, his teeth gleaming in the darkening forest. He was leaning against the far tree his shirt unbuttoned to expose his pale flesh, he was well muscled and I felt myself drawn to his abs. I shook my head and snorted, I was acting like a horny teenager.

Newsflash Vic you are a horny teenager, once again the voice of reason actually made sense. I blew out an irritated breath and crossed my arms, the snow was coming down in angry swirls and it would be time to get moving soon, I stared at Dylan, he had some explaining to do. I stalked closer to him and looked at his eyes, one was pale blue and the other was a rich chocolate brown.

            “Why aren’t you with a pack?” My question took him by surprise and he looked at me startled. He shrugged and started buttoning up his shirt, apparently, he wasn’t going to answer my question, I could tell by his body language. I poked him in the chest and he hissed through gleaming teeth, the scent of his wolf coming off him, I closed my eyes and inhaled again.

            “I wasn’t aware that there was any of our kind here in North Carolina. So who do I have to see to discuss pack business?” He wrapped his arms around me and I laid my head on his shoulder, there was a low rumbling growl from behind us and I pulled away from Dylan to stare at the chestnut colored wolf. He looked at me and then at Dylan, his lips were peeled back in a snarl.

            “Is that Michael?” my voice was a breathy squeak and I cursed myself for being afraid. I shouldn’t have been I had gotten in between the two of them and now I was afraid. Dylan stiffened behind me and I could feel his breathing become irregular. He was afraid too, that was reassuring, I guess.

            “He is moon crazy; he still has not learned how to control his wolf.” Dylan’s rumbling voice made my heart tighten and my stomach flutter. I could feel him smiling in my hair, I slapped him, the sound alerting Michael, and he crouched lower to the ground. He was going to attack us; a sudden chill went down my spine as I remembered what Amanda told me. The dark one will kill you. I shuddered and Dylan hissed in my ear, the muscles tensed in Michael’s haunches, he was going to attack and I couldn’t let Dylan handle him. I pushed Dylan out of the way, as Michael sprang towards me. I let out a snarl as his teeth sank into my shoulder, my wolf was clawing to get out and I let her.

            I screamed as bones popped and shifted under the snapping jaws of Michael, the scent of blood filling our nostrils and quickening my change. I yelped as his teeth sank into the back of my neck, teeth tearing through tender flesh, I shouldered him, my silver fur matted with blood, and I panted heavily as I tried to gain my footing. I could sense Dylan’s awe and in that second Michael was distracted and started for Dylan. Our snarls and howls filled the encroaching twilight; I mustered all my strength and jumped at the larger wolf. He went sprawling against the tree with a sickening thud; he shuddered and got up moving slowly towards me.

            I could hear my heart thudding in my ears it was becoming faint and I knew that if I didn’t end this now we would all be lost to the crazed werewolf. I lunged for Michael’s exposed throat and latched on, he let out a terrified scream and I could taste the salty metallic blood on my tongue. I yanked him down to the earth with me, he was panting, pink foam lined his jowls, I knew he was no longer a threat.

 I also knew I wasn’t going to make it out of this. I looked up at Dylan’s worried face and whined, and then I slipped into the blackness of death. What a welcome feeling, and finally I feel no more pain.



© 2009 Jessica Fox


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i was like drawn into this the whole time i couldnt look away! next chapter!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

snow sucks, i wonder what happens next. keep it coming

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 27, 2009
Last Updated on March 2, 2009


Author

Jessica Fox
Jessica Fox

City of Fallen Angels, NJ



About
Check out my new Booksie Site booksie site The new single Automatic by Tokio Hotel I'm on Twitter, so yeah if you want to follow me just go here to follow my Twitter Please order our new book The.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter Four Chapter Four

A Chapter by Jessica Fox


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jessica Fox