Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

A Chapter by Jessica Fox

 

        The snow fell around us and my teeth chattered angrily, Michael had his hand clamped over my mouth as we watched the people going into the house. Lydia stood in the glow of the porch light. Her shadow a spidery black figure on the white that blanketed the ground, Dylan was in his wolf form by her side gazing up at her adoringly. I wanted to scream at him to wake up from whatever spell he was under.

            “Vic we need to get out of here, come on.” I refused to leave Dylan behind, I heard Michael growl in my ear. The hairs sprang up on the back of my neck and I cursed my hormones. I wanted to bite down on his hand, go in and get Dylan out with guns blazing. Well, I had no guns but I could wield a mean stick. I turned my attention back to the two on the porch, they looked out into the darkness, and I saw a smile curl on Lydia’s lips as she whistled for her new wolf pet to follow her into the house.

            Michael removed his hand from my mouth and I slapped him. The sound ringing through the still trees, he blinked and stared at me with wide eyes. He looked stunned, his jaw hung open and he was rubbing the side of his face. I started laughing and he clapped his hand over my mouth again pulling me close to his body.

            There was movement among the trees and I followed his gaze, a shadowy figure was making their way towards and I immediately pushed myself away from Michael.

            “Memphis get over here!” he hissed at me and I ignored him, whoever this was they would answer whatever questions I had. The first one I wanted to know was who the weird people were that took over the house. My skin prickled, I knew that feeling my wolf wanted out and she wanted to track this shadow.  I felt Michael grab my leg and I looked down at his fingers wrapped around my ankle.

            “Let go of me you overgrown bohunk! I can take care of myself; you stay here and watch the creepy people that are in the house.” A smile twitched on his lips and I blinked as he was leaning over me. I blinked again as he nuzzled my neck and placed a kiss on my forehead.

            “Fine, as you wish but change you can heal faster if something happens. If you do not come back, I am coming for you.” My heart skipped a beat and I scowled at the smug look on his face. I wriggled out from underneath him and cursed, I was now cold and damp from being pinned in the snow. My back was aching and whatever the crazy lady gave me to numb the pain was wearing off.  Michael sat in the snow watching me with raised eyebrows; I stared at him and rolled my eyes.

            “Turn around pervert! I don’t know you, and I don’t want you watching me undress.” He laughed again and I slapped him in the back of the head. He started rolling in the snow holding his sides laughing. I muttered about the stupid boys and their stupid hormones. I found a thicket of bushes and stripped my clothing, leaving it in a pile by a log. I shifted into wolf form and sneezed as the cold air tickled my nose. I shook off the last remnants of humanity and stretched.

            I felt the cold snow sting my paws and I looked up at the clouds and tiny flakes dancing in the chilled air. I caught the slight movement of my shadowy prey and scented the air. I smelled snow, wood burning, the pungent musk of deer, a bear, and ten thousand other smells that assaulted my nose. None of them was human though, and that worried me. My animal instincts were telling me to run in the opposite direction, and the human parts of my instincts were screaming the same. I should have listened to my instincts but I will never learn and curiosity will always get the best of me.

            I padded quietly towards the shadow; it should have frightened me that the shadow had no scent. I was chasing something obviously human and yet there did not seem to be anything human about the shadow. My lips pulled away from my teeth as I let out a low rumbling growl. My prey was finally starting to stalk me, I was now the hunted instead of the hunter, and I did not like that one bit. I stood in the clearing, snow clinging to my fur and the moon struggling to peer through the clouds. I saw the shadow step into the moonlight and backed away growling.

            “I was expecting you to come in human form, how am I to communicate while you are in wolf form?” his voice was soft and rich like velvet, and his eyes were a pale green in color. They burned into mine and I continued to growl at him. He pushed back the hood on his sweatshirt, his pale hands as white as the snow. My fight or flight instincts were kicking in, I seemed to be caught in stupidity, this was a dangerous creature whatever it is, and I needed to run for my life. He continued to stare at me with those odd pale eyes, his head tilted to the side.

            He looked to be about 6’3”, his skin was white as the snow, his lips were pale pink, and his eyes were icy. He had high cheekbones and a silvery spill of hair that looked like the moonlight. Silver rings lined his ears and there was a stud through the middle of his nose, his dark lashes caressed his cheeks when he closed his eyes. He was beautiful and eerily unearthly, he extended his long slender hand towards me and I flinched. The nails were painted with chipped black nail polish.

            “Come now Victoria, we are all friends here. Look,” he disappeared into the trees and came back with a long wine colored cloak. In the moonlight, it looked as if it was the color of dried blood. The scent of chamomile, peppermint and some other pungent herbs stung my nose. I sneezed and backed up again. He held out the cloak towards me again and I growled, he pulled back and shrugged his shoulders in a graceful manner.

            “If that is how you wish to do this. My name is Lynx, I know about you Victoria and I did hope we could be friends.” I shook my head and sneezed again, the snow swirled around us and I shivered despite my warm fur. He turned his back towards me and I saw the white hair spill down his back as he looked up at the moon.

            “She is beautiful is she not? Gaia in all her glory, the balance between good and evil, heaven and earth, it is very fragile my dear girl. Just like human life, it is truly more delicate than the finest Parisian lace. An intricate interwoven pattern of fibers that create a living breathing creature, it is astounding.” I sat on my haunches tilting my head, listening intently to him. His voice was pleasing to the ears, I’m sure they would be even more pleasant to my human ears. It wouldn’t hurt to talk to him would it? I shook my head and stared at the figure standing before me.

            He stood still his arms outstretched and his sculpted marble face staring at the moon. The flakes fell on his skin and stuck to his long lashes. He let out a deep throaty laugh as his lips pulled away from his gums exposing long fangs. He turned towards me; his hair blew in the wind that picked up. His eyes were glowing in the darkness and I crouched lower to the ground. This creature was beyond anything I have ever seen. Even in wolf form, I would not be able to take him down.

            “I will not kill you tonight Victoria, I will give you until the next full moon to make your decision. Join us or we will kill your kind.” He extended his hand towards me and before I knew what I was doing, I was slowly crawling towards him on my stomach. The fear causing my muscles to bunch painfully, Lynx knelt down and ran his icy hand through my fur.

            “I will be watching you Victoria, know if you need me just call my name.” he laid his cheek on my fur and I felt his fangs graze the skin of my neck. I whimpered and let out a shudder, I was terrified, and I felt powerless. They were two feelings I really did not want to feel at the same time. He looked into my eyes one last time and disappeared into the night, I lay in the snow trembling, thinking it would have just been better if he killed me.



© 2009 Jessica Fox


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

duh-uuuude lol great chapter can't wait to read more

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 1, 2009
Last Updated on March 2, 2009


Author

Jessica Fox
Jessica Fox

City of Fallen Angels, NJ



About
Check out my new Booksie Site booksie site The new single Automatic by Tokio Hotel I'm on Twitter, so yeah if you want to follow me just go here to follow my Twitter Please order our new book The.. more..

Writing