The Boy from the Streets (6)

The Boy from the Streets (6)

A Chapter by Sarah

Scarlette’s P.O.V.

            “That was a close one… How did you know not to say Ryker?” I sighed and questioned him.

            “Well I remembered your dad mentioning something earlier and I thought I’d better be safe than sorry.” Ryker replied still looking extremely pale.

            “Are you feeling alright?” I asked staying still. I couldn’t risk getting close to him in case Jayson saw me.

            “Yeah I’m fine” Ryker snipped. “The better question is, are you okay?” He asked staring me in the eyes.

            “Of course! Why wouldn’t I be okay? It’s my birthday!” I giggled lightly and hoped Ryker wouldn’t notice.

            “I don’t know you just seem jumpy ever since you went off with Jayson.” Ryker said obviously watching my reaction.

            “I’m just tired is all…” I said quietly looking at the ground. If he ever found out it would be the end of me. Jayson would kill Ryker and I, both.

            “I really don’t think that’s the reason Scarlette…” Ryker replied stepping towards me. “Whatever it is you can tell me Princess…”  Ryker reached towards me, his arms open to comfort me. Tears were threatening to fall and I crossed my arms and shook my head viciously. Please Ryker don’t come closer I might fall apart! I pleaded silently.

            “Scarlette… please, did Jayson hurt you?”

            “Why would you say that Ryker?! Jayson would never hurt me! I spat faking my anger. Ryker eye me warily and started to reply.

            “Scarlette you just don’t seem to be yourself.”

            “Shut up Ryker! You don’t know anything! You are just a stupid…” I poked his chest, “Homeless” another poke, “Nobody!!” I screamed and slapped him.

            “Scarlette what are you doing?” of course my dad would walk over just as I slapped him.

            “Dad I~”

            “It’s okay Mr. Harris. I deserved the slap; I was prying and insinuating things of a boy with an untarnished character.” Ryker cut me off and saved my a*s. Why would he do that? Maybe he cares?

            “Regardless Scarlette apologize!” My father boomed.

            “Sorry Ryker…” I mumbled and my father walked off.

            “You are forgiven though it is I who should be apologizing.” Ryker reached out a hand,

            “You are forgiven” I mimicked and placed my hand in his. To my surprise he bought it to his lips and kissed my hand. His mannerisms were so proper… as if, he had been raised in high society.

            “Thank you now why don’t we rejoin the party before they send out a search team.” Ryker teased.

            “Did I hear my name?”  Dwight walked into the alcove and I giggled. Dwight looked excited or like he had big news.

            “What is it Dwight? You’re jumpier than the time you got the drum solo in orchestra.” I laughed as Ryker smiled. Dwight chuckled remembering that day.

            “You’ll find out soon enough!” Dwight beamed. “Come on Scar! You got to come see!” Dwight grabbed my hand and dragged me towards the dance floor. I looked for Ryker but I had lost him in the crowd.

            “Dwight what is this all~” I stopped short as we reached the center. Standing there was all of my friends, my parents, the Nottinghams and Jayson. “Guys what is going on here?” My voice was trembling, my mother was crying and my father was comforting her. The Nottinghams were smiling but looked subdued.

            “Okay everyone time for speeches!” Mrs. Nottingham boomed into the microphone. Cheers erupted as I groaned and was led to the “hot seat”. Dwight, Lynn, Marianne and Nicole all went together. The performed a skit composed of our adventures. Rose went alone and gave a speech made up of mostly our inside jokes that made absolutely no sense to anyone but me. So after hysterically laughing for twenty minutes it was time for hysterical crying. Mrs. Nottingham stepped up and looked towards my mother. She nodded in my direction.

            “Scarlette, it’s your seventeenth birthday and just like we told my son~” Michelle paused and sniffled. “You and Ryker Mason Nottingham were to be married in a year.” The entire room fell silent and my jaw dropped. My eyes teared up quickly. Is that why he left? Because he didn’t want to marry me? So many questions raced through my mind. “And even though he is gone, your parents and I decided that you should still be married next year.” Whispers circulated the room as I stood up.

            “But Ryker is still missing…”  I managed to finally ask. “How am I going to get married next year if we have no idea where he is?” I asked taking steps towards my parents. I hadn’t gotten far when Mrs. Nottingham smirked.

            “Well…” She said and I felt a tap on my shoulder. I slowly turned around prepared to come to face to face with the guy I hadn’t seen in three years. Instead I found a different face entirely.

            “Scarlette I know that we haven’t know each other long…” I was so not prepared for this. I looked at my friends and they were all smiling and Rose had tears in her eyes. I was on the other hand crying hysterically. “… and after speaking to your parents, I asked to take the place of Ryker Nottingham as your husband…” He paused and reached for my hand. “That is if you’ll have me…” He kneeled to the ground and the entire ball room gasped.

            “Scarlette Ann Harris would you do me the great honor of becoming…” I looked quickly around and locked eyes with my parents. My mother was smiling and crying and my Dad looked like he was going to burst with pride.

            “Mrs.~” He was cut off by a body hurtling out of the crowd. Before I could scream Ryker and Jayson were on the floor brawling, Jayson and Ryker alike were screaming profanities. My head began to pound and the room began to spin. I reached out to someone to steady myself but everyone was watching the fight unfold.

            “Help” I whispered before I fell to the ground with a loud thud. The last thing I heard before everything went black again was my mother screaming and then…silence.


© 2010 Sarah


Author's Note

Sarah
Chapter 7 will be up soon hope you like it!!! Please critique it i could really use the help!!! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
Added on November 28, 2010
Last Updated on November 28, 2010


Author

Sarah
Sarah

About
I absolutely LOVE to write!! I love romances and cute love stories.. I am SUCH a girlygirl its not even funny... I spend entirely too much time with my best friends but that's okay because th.. more..

Writing