The Boy from the Streets (9)

The Boy from the Streets (9)

A Chapter by Sarah

Ryker’s P.O.V.

Stupid! Stupid! What were you thinking?

I don’t know I panicked!

 Why? You left her again!

 Because I felt so much in that one kiss! And she can’t be mine because of Jayson!

So you left her before finding out what was going on or at least fighting for her?!

Yes!

Quitter!

            That kiss… wow. I can’t believe I left her again. When our lips first met fireworks exploded and everything went fuzzy. And then something clicked. I couldn’t have her, it wouldn’t last. When I pulled away she looked exactly how I felt… in love. Putting on my most depressed face I stared at her.

            “What?” she asked, her glorious smile fading. “Was it that bad?” My brain went into override, make this easy for her… make her hate you it will be easier.

            “It’s just…” I found myself saying.

            “Just what?!” Scarlette asked.

            “Well I didn’t feel anything…” I lied watching her eyes flash from hurt, to non-understanding, to anger.

            “Get out!” She yelled. Not the reaction I though of. I tried to protest but she kept telling me to leave. I wanted more than anything to tell her the truth about everything but I couldn’t.

            “Princess…” I tried, my voice came out with way more emotion than I had intended.

            “Just leave” Scarlette sniffed and I felt like I had been hit by a MACK truck. So I left her room and the hospital. I went straight back to the house. I grabbed the few belongings and called Mr. Harris.

            “Hello?”

            “Mr. Harris… it’s Ryker…everything’s great…Scarlette was with Jayson… no I think I’m going to leave… no I just feel like I’m causing trouble for Scarlette and Jayson… thank you for your hospitality. Of Course I’ll come visit or come to you if I need help. Thanks again… Bye” Mr. Harris hung up. I sighed and wrote a note to Scarlette leaving it tucked in her laptop so Jayson wouldn’t find it. You should go to your parents…

No

Why not?

Because that would still screw with Scarlette’s life.

So you are leaving again?

Yes

            As I left her room I heard the silence of the house. Memories flooded back of running around the house and sliding down the banister, Scarlette following closely behind. I can’t believe that she didn’t know who I was at first glance. Well you hadn’t spent a considerable amount of time with her since she was eleven and you thirteen.

So no one recognized.

But Scarlette did say that she thought you were familiar. I have got to stop doing this to myself and to Scarlette. But anyways I have to leave all of this… and Scarlette… again. Maybe someday I’ll come back. Once I was on the bus going somewhere away from my past I pulled out my wallet. Inside was a picture of a ten year old girl, her blonde hair gleaming in the sunlight. Next to her was a twelve year old boy with his arm around her shoulder. His short blonde hair was almost the same color as the girl’s. Both kids were standing next to a pool in their swimsuits, ready to swim. I turned the picture over so I could read the tiny note.

            Ryker,

You are my best friend but next summer I’m pulling you in the water with me! Have fun at boarding school and don’t forget me! Write as often as you can to tell me all about your new life.

            Love always,

            Scarlette Harris

This picture was taken the summer before my parents sent me to boarding school in England. That was the summer before things started to go downhill. When I first arrived at boarding school, Collins Hill Private School for Boys, I was happy to write to Scarlette, to have someone from home to talk to. But then my new friends found out about her and the teasing was endless. So eventually I stopped answering her letters. The ones that I received went unopened into the fireplace. The next two summers I avoided her constantly, even when our parents forced us to spend time together. I didn’t understand until July 15th, my sixteenth birthday.

*Flashback*

            “Honey? Can we come in?” My mother’s voice drifted through the door.

            “Sure mom?” I replied, confused since it was so late.

            “Son, we need to talk to you about someone…” My father said as he stood in the doorway.

            “Who died?” I asked dread filling me.

            “Oh darling no on… it’s about Scarlette…”

            “Oh Mom, stop forcing me to hangout with her! She’s so immature1” I whined and my mother’s forehead creased with worry.

            “Ryker!” My father boomed.

            “What?”

            “You’re going to marry Scarlette when she turns sixteen…” My mother stated.

            “WHAT! Why!”

            “Yes and because the Harrises are close friends and we want our families to be joined.” My mother replied softly.

            “Does Scarlette know?” I asked quietly whilst pacing my room angrily. If Scarlette knows, she’s a damn good actress.

            “No and she won’t find out until her sixteenth birthday just like you.” My father answered.

            “So you want me to parade around for the next two years like this conversation never happened?”

            “In a way…” My mom smiled.

            “In a way?” Somehow this didn’t seem to be the end of it.

            “We want you two to date for the next two years so that the transition is easy for both of you.”

            “You can’t make me fall in love Mom! It doesn’t work like that!” By now I was fuming with anger.

            “Well that’s how it’s going to go! Goodnight!” My parents stormed out.

I flopped onto my bed, angry at the world, trying to figure out what to do about this. And then it hit me… they can’t make me do anything if I’m not here. I packed my bags, including my cell phone and wallet, turned off the phone so they couldn’t trace me and then I disappeared into the night. No note, no trace of me, only taking my memories with me as I left for my life on the streets.

*End Flashback*

            The cell phone! It has got to be in my bag somewhere! Yes while sitting on the bus I was ransacking my bag trying to find a three year old cell phone. You might ask why this is so important, because then I can still talk to Scarlette. One minor flaw…What? She’ll think it’s Ryker Nottingham. So that’s who- The same guy she hasn’t heard from in three years… I still don’t see your point, won’t she be happy to hear from me? Two things. One no because she is in a really confusing place right now. And two don’t you think she might freak out and tell your parents and hers? Oh yeah, you’re right. But I can’t just not talk to her. I miss her already. That didn’t stop you three years ago. Things are different now. It’s been almost a week. So what I’m going to text her.

            -Hey how’s your wrist?-  Sent message. Now I just need to wait for her reply.

            - Who is this? <3 Scarlette-

                -Ummm… it’s a surprise…-

                -Creep how did you get my number? <3 Scarlette-

                -You gave it to me- God this was going to be hard.

                -I did? Well then I must know you…<3 Scarlette-

                -We used to be best friends-

                -How long has it been since we’ve seen each other? <3 Scarlette- What do I say? If I want her to think Ryker Nottingham it’s 3 years but Ryker, her new friend, a week. Go with Ryker Nottingham.

                - Three years-

                -That long? Hold on I’ll figure this out <3 Scarlette-

                -Good luck! You probably don’t remember me-

                -I will just give me a minute <3 Princess- her tagline flashed.

            -Okay… hey you changed your tagline. Why?-

                -Oh it’s just a nickname someone gave me <3 Princess-

                -I think I know who- Walking on the edge of the cliff, the moment of truth.

            -??? <3 Princess-

                -We have the same name Princess- Here goes nothing.

                -!?!?! <3 Princess-

                -Go on guess who I am…-

                -No it’s impossible! Stop lying tell me who you are <3 Princess-

                -C’mon Princess it’s me. Ryker Nottingham-  And then the text messages stopped.



© 2011 Sarah


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on January 2, 2011
Last Updated on January 2, 2011


Author

Sarah
Sarah

About
I absolutely LOVE to write!! I love romances and cute love stories.. I am SUCH a girlygirl its not even funny... I spend entirely too much time with my best friends but that's okay because th.. more..

Writing