Sugarcreek, Ohio: Chapter two

Sugarcreek, Ohio: Chapter two

A Chapter by KATHY SUE SILLS
"

Takes up in Sugarcreek, Ohio where Esther's twin brother and family lives!

"
     Shea blinked at the mauve cell phone, stunned at what just happened. She paced the width of her Livingroom to the infinitesimal kitchen. She dialed Presley's number only to get voicemail. Thirty minutes later she tried to call her once again only to get voicemail. Flustered by her friend's behavior she invited herself to a party.
     "I hope I have something decent to wear." She pulled open her closet. A slight smile curled her lips. A knee-length cotton wildflower summer dress She'd brought last month would do. It wasn't an evening gown, but still casual enough.
     Before closing the closet door another garment captured her attention. A piece of her past that she thought she'd put further back in closet out of sight. Her hands shook as she removed the garment from the hanger. Shea undressed and put the familiar dress on. She twisted her waist length hair into the traditional bun. Putting the kappi on, she stared at herself in the mirror, and Esther Yoder starred back.
     "Ach, I am my old self."
     Shea left her Amish roots two months ago. During her rumspringa, she enjoyed some of the English ways. Their Bishop frowned upon living the English life but couldn't punish any kid who tried it as long as they were in their rumspringa. Living under such strict rules forced Shea to leave. April 23rd, she walked out of her mamm and daed's house, and her heart broke at the pain she caused her family.
     She pulled open an old cedar chest. An Amish Sunshine Diamond quilt laid on top. Sitting down on the floor she pulled the exquisite quilt to her face. A tear slid down her cheek, it had her mamm's scent.
     The bottom of the chest held pictures she'd taken inconspicuous. Amish people didn't believe in taking pictures of themselves, but Shea wanted something to remember her family by. There was a picture of her daed plowing and her mamm hanging out clothes. Esther held the picture of her twin bruder Daniel. He looked so angry. And then there was her younger twin bruder and schweschder Hannah and Jacob. 
     Shea replaced all the belongings back into the chest, and this time she put the Amish dress in too. Tears blurred her vision as she crumpled on the bed and cried, the party forgotten.
*****************************************
 
     Daniel watched his daed plowing the field. It was the end of May, and the humidity was already sulphureous. Leaves hung limp in the scorching sunshine. The dirt was so dry it looked like a dust storm in the dry desert as the plow cut up the ground. He swiped the sweat with the back of his hand. His mind wandered back to Esther as it did most days. She was his best friend. Now he felt lost without her. He loved his heritage. Why did Esther hate it so much? 
     He swept his eyes across the Yoder property and beyond. Daniel and his siblings were born in Sugarcreek Village in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. The two-story white house was enormous enough to hold at least ten kinner. A big porch with white rockers, mamm loved to sit in and watch the sunset into multiple colors dying the horizon. To Daniel it was peaceful here.
     He squinted his eyes in the blaring sun rays as a buggy come up the driveway. It was Leah, his mamm's midwife. Daniel waved.
     "Gute mariye!" Leah yelled.
     "Sohn, go fetch me some cold wasser," Abraham said as he took off his straw hat.
     Abraham studied his sohn, slumped shoulders, eyes downcast, and a temper that flared often. Everyone in the family tried to get him to talk about what was bothering him, but he wouldn't. He knew it had to do with Esther leaving the community. It distressed him to witness
his sohn going through such a hard time, but it was hard for everyone. He prayed Gott would bring his dochder home where she belonged.
     Daniel heard voices as he climbed the steps.
     "Sarah, you need to stay off your feet," Leah ordered.
     "I have kinner and a der mann to take care of," she whispered in an inaudible voice that held a hint of weariness.
     Daniel stood at the back door, peering in. Black circles shadowed his mamm's eyes. Profound anguish clung to her posture. Some nights he laid awake listening to her crying.  She missed Esther. Anger reared its ugly head. Mamm needed her here to help with the younger kinner and household chores.

          "Selfish, that's what my schweschder is," Daniel mumbled.
     Sarah poured two glasses of meadow tea and set out some Amish sugar cookies. The two women sat in silence enjoying the cool glass of tea.
     Leah took a bite of cookie. "Sarah, you make the best Amish sugar cookies.
     Sarah's cheeks singed pink, uncomfortable with the praise.
     Daniel walked in the kitchen. Face red, but not from the summer heat, anger.
"Daed needs some wasser." He filled a glass with cool tap water, thinking. "Mamm, I'll go talk to Bishop Mast. I'm sure he can get some of the ladies to help out around here."
     Sarah rubbed her protruding belly. Only three months into her pregnancy and she was already showing. In fact, it looked as if she was already full term. A sharp pain in her mid-section stole her breath.
     Leah was at Sarah's side in an instant. "Breath deep."
     "Sohn, where is my wasser?"
     "Abraham, help me get Sarah to bed," Leah ordered.
     "My Fraa, are you okay?" He asked in a gruff worried voice.
     Sarah clamped her eyes shut as a wave of nausea threatened to make her vomit. "I just need to lie down for a minute, and then I will prepare the noon meal."
     Abraham's heart rate sped up, and the pulse in his neck pulsated. "You'll stay in bed."
     "But who will cook the noon meal?" 
     Miriam Troyer marched into the kitchen. "I will," she said, putting on an apron.
     Abraham's sigh of relief was audible.
     "I cannot ask you to do my chores. Besides you already help take care of my mamm and daed."
     "You didn't ask me, I offered." Miriam turned to Daniel. "Will you go get me some Chow Chow from the cellar?"
     "Go ahead, I'm fine," Sarah reassured him.
     "Jah, I'll go get it."
     After getting the Chow Chow Daniel decided to take a walk to his favorite spot, a beautiful creek with a diminutive
waterfall. The leaves on the tree offer minor relief from the scorching sun. A smile erased the incertitude frown away when he heard the murmuring water.
     "Ach, it's mooi," he said as he sprawled out on the grassy bank.
     It wasn't long before his languid mood exacerbated. His mind flowing swift and strong with worry for both his mamm and Esther. Daniel sighed as his turbid thoughts brought on a headache. The sound of the water amid the chirping birds finally lulled him to relax. Deep in the forest he heard a hoot owl making his presence known. His eyes locked on two deer lapping water from the creek. He raised up on his elbow and watched the scenic nature. A noise of snapping twigs brought him to his feet. The deer stood still; their ears cocked in alert. The scent of Englisher's cologne flowed on the breeze. 
******************************************
    Anna zook walked along the edge of the road, daydreaming about Daniel Yoder. Just having his name whisper across her mind made her blush. She liked him in school, but he never acted like he liked her. Butterflies danced deep in her stomach. A singing was coming up this Saturday, and she planned on asking Daniel to come with her.
     She stopped to pick some wildflowers on the side of the road. The unrelenting heat radiated off the pavement. The coolness of the shaded forest summoned her. Anna slowed her paced as she walked deeper into the forest. It suddenly seemed scary.
     "This was a dumkupp idea," she chided herself.
     Mysterious sounds taunted the endless forest. Disoriented, Anna looked over her shoulder. A snap from a branch sent her running. Her chest burned from lack of air. The powerful odor of an Englisher's cologne mingled with the stale damp ground. A huge hollow log came into view. Crawling inside she waited and listened. Loud steps approached the log. Silence stretched into unbearable discomfort.
     Anna stuck her head out, just enough to see her surroundings. Up a head she saw a tall sculpt man with black hair. She said a quick silent prayer before heaving herself out and running in the opposite direction she'd come. 
     Daniel stopped, listening. Was that someone running? He quickened his pace. The sound got closer and closer until he saw her, Anna Zook.
     "Anna, Was der schinner is letz?" Daniel asked, grabbing her arms. Her soft strawberry lips quivering caught his full attention. He craved to pull her close and sample their flavor.
     "A man deep in the forest."
     "Did he hurt you?"
     She took in some air, still trembling. "No, but I know he was following me." Anna looked around.
     "I'll walk you home," Daniel said.
     They fell into step together. Up a head a Englisher stood watching with an evil grin on his face.
     
     
     
     
      

     
    



     

     

     
     

     
     
     
     
     
   
   


© 2022 KATHY SUE SILLS


Author's Note

KATHY SUE SILLS
Tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

again an interesting read with some spelling & grammar mistakes.
when you re-read your work, give yourself a break for maybe a day & you'll read it with fresh eyes.

cheerio carola

Posted 1 Year Ago


KATHY SUE SILLS

1 Year Ago

Thank you for reading my chapters, and for your help! I used prowriting grammer checker when writing.. read more
I think our heroine is not as safe as she hoped in running to the Amish. They too, are being watched.

Well penned.

Posted 2 Years Ago


KATHY SUE SILLS

2 Years Ago

Thank you!
Like the first chapter this is so suspenseful! I love how you make your characters come to life. The readers are able to feel their emotions.

Posted 2 Years Ago


KATHY SUE SILLS

2 Years Ago

Thank you!
KAREN

2 Years Ago

You're welcome!
Wow! This is amazing, One thing I love about Amish, is their cooking.
They have good values I always thought. This is wonderful

Posted 2 Years Ago


KATHY SUE SILLS

2 Years Ago

Thank you!
You are gifted with words that smile... I have always admired the Amish.
I felt like a Bird flying around your Story... the feathery feeling of helping others. I was raised to be Plain... but not Amish. Now I dress to be comfortable and also cheerful like flowers in a Field. I enjoyed a Day in your Life... especially the being with Child which is a blessing as you wrote in soft and loving consideration. tenderly, Pat

Posted 2 Years Ago


KATHY SUE SILLS

2 Years Ago

Thank you so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2022
Last Updated on March 3, 2022


Author

KATHY SUE SILLS
KATHY SUE SILLS

Harrisville, MS



About
check out! www.facebook.com/twinoneandtwintwo Hello writercafe friends. I've been on this site for a few years! I stopped writing for a while, and trying to get back into it! When I joined this sit.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


homeland homeland

A Poem by lightsong