Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by Joey

Jason arrives at the hospital and pulls straight up to the front. He rushes inside finding help, which immediately initiates her insertion to the hospital. She’s put onto a stretcher from his car and disappears from his sight through the automatic sliding doors. Jason takes a sigh of relief. Good, she’s safe now. He says inside his head.

           Walking back towards his car he’s approached by a nurse dressed in penguin scrubs “Excuse me sir, we’ll need to ask you a few questions.”

          “Umm, alright, sure that’s fine. Let me just get my car out of the way.” Jason replies.

          “Actually, we’ll have someone take care of it for you.” She says as a security guard who clearly eats too many glazed covered sweets approaches. “Just hand over your keys and we’ll make sure you get your car back safely after we’re done.”

          Jason nods and hands over his keys without a writhe. The nurse ushers him inside and through a maze of hallways. “Please wait in here.” She says opening a door revealing a room with two chairs on opposite sides of a bland looking table. Walls grey, floor tiled with bleak white and a small camera struggling to be inconspicuous.

         Jason enters and takes a seat within this obviously looking interrogation room. “Weird, where’s the one way mirror like you on TV?” He says with a smirk. “There’s always one whenever someone is interrogated on Dexter.” Jason tried lightening the mood with a joke after coming from such a horrific place. It fails; his hands are still shaking from the fear and adrenaline pumping through his veins.

        A black suited man walks in slowly possessing a glare so strong it can be seen through his jet-black glasses. The door shuts quietly behind him and he takes his seat across from Jason. The air thickens becoming heavy with pressure. Jason maintains his breathing in an orderly fashion trying not to look too nervous.

       “This conversation is going to be recorded,” he says placing a small voice recorder on the table. Not even going to ask for my consent huh? Jason thinks to himself Well, It’s not like I did something wrong so it shouldn’t matter to me anyway.

       “Alright.”

       “Tell me exactly what happened from the beginning.” The man demands in a cool, collected manner of speaking not allowing any kind of emotion to seep through his words.

            Jason begins telling his story from the point of his cigarette burning his stress away.

            “-And on our way to the hospital from the freeway I called 9-1-1 giving them the location of the accident. After that we arrived at the hospital where the nurses took her away and now I’m here with you.” Jason finishes telling his version of what happened to the suit only for him to reply with a raise of a single eyebrow. A short silence is shared between the two and then the recorder beeps shutting off.

            “It would appear that this is all the information I need. You will need to fill out some paper work and then shortly there after you’ll be allowed to see the girl. Jason is let out of the bleak room and lead into a waiting room where he’s given forms containing a personal information questionnaire. Ugh, how annoying.

            He hands over the forms over to the front desk clerk after an hour or so has passed. “Thank you.” A nurse politely says taking the forms and begins filing them away. “Would it be possible for me to see, uhh…” he loses speech with the lack of knowledge containing the girls name.

            “Sabrina?” The nurse asks.

            “I think so, I’m not sure. She passed out before she could tell me it.”

            “Oh yes, Sabrina is her name. You can see her. She’s resting though don’t disturb her. ”Another nurse arrives. “This way sir.” He follows her down another maze of bleak halls littered with inspirational pictures having portraits of animals and nature scenery. He passes sick people and crying families along the way. What a depression-inducing environment. How could someone work here? He thinks to himself blindly following the nurse.The two enter an elevator that begins to ascend the building.

            “Have you known the girl for long?” The Nurse asks.

            “Actually I just met her tonight and only learned her name right before you walked up.”

            “Oh wow. So you witness what happened right?”

            “I was actually almost involved.” Jason says not looking at her. “It was a huge accident which took the lives of many. I was barely escaped it.”

            “That must’ve been scary for you.” She says gasping with her hand over her mouth.

            “Yeah, it was completely terrifying.”

A ding of the elevator and the doors open up revealing a more colorful environment than that of below; these halls are filled with color and uplifting portraits. Jason’s mood seems to be lightened despite being taken back to such a dark environment within his memories. They make their way down a few other corners of the maze finding them outside a door that reads ‘Sabrina Wulf.’ Interesting. Jason ponders. The nurse begins to open the door slowly.

            “Please be very quiet, she’s needs her rest.”

            “I will.” Jason replies entering the room and taking his place next to the slender sleeping girl. He ganders at her for minute examining the cuts and bruises scattered up and down her body. They’re not deep surprisingly, but he knows how much pain she must have been in. He takes her hand in his own with sympathy. 

            "The fear she felt, images she witnessed, and the horror racing through her mind." He says to himself, “I wish there were something I could do.” He whispers. “What if she died there in her car? She would never have the opportunity for anything else. No new experiences, no new memories, no love to feel, no more life to live.” He lowers his head in sadness “No wrongs to correct…”

He begins to recollect again. All the memories made and all the happiness shared with HER. He can’t be here with this girl, Sabrina. It doesn’t feel right holding someone else's hand. I shouldn’t be here, not with this girl.  He thinks to himself. I’m still in love.

             He releases Sabrina’s hand from his caring grip rising to his feet. Jason makes his way to the door reaching out for the handle. He stops and taking a look back. She needs someone with her. He shakes his head and the redirects his vision back to the door. That doesn’t matter; I need to be with someone else more. She awakens feeling his presence start to leave the room.

            “Hey…” Sabrina says in a very weak, broken voice. “Don’t leave me please.” Jason’s hand stops mid reach. 

             He doesn’t answer.

            “Please don’t leave…” She asks once more.

            “I’m sorry, I can’t be with you.” He opens the door commencing to take his leave. Vanishing from her sight a small tear falls out of her eye.

Jason speaks a few last words before her tear completely rolls down.

“I need to be with L…”



© 2014 Joey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on August 23, 2014
Last Updated on August 23, 2014


Author

Joey
Joey

Albuquerque, NM



About
A boy, feeling stuck within his own skin, spills his heart soaking the pages in bloody ink hoping somebody will understand. more..

Writing
Well Thank You Well Thank You

A Poem by Joey