Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor

            I should like say that I faced the fall very, very bravely, prepared to embrace death like a true hero. The truth? Not so pretty.

 

            Alright, I admit it. I was screaming my head off.

 

            The cart spun out of control as Kyo tugged on the reins frantically. The goat didn’t stop. In fact, it ran faster and faster and faster. I leaned over the cart, ready to throw up…

 

            And then it happened. The cart wheeled away from safety, leaving the ground completely. For a moment, it was almost like we were defying gravity. And then the cart began to drop.

 

            “Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”  I don’t which of us started it first, but by the time the cart of dropping towards the ground we were all screaming like banshees.

 

            Thud!

 

            Ow. Through the tiny slits of my eyes, I could make out two blurry figures leaning over us. My limbs were so heavy, and I tried to get up…but I couldn’t. Awareness slipped from me slowly, and my mind slowly drifted into unconsciousness.

 

*         *          *                                      *       *       *       *       *       *      

         

          Cold water was being dripped onto my forehead. A drop slipped into my eye, forcing me to open them…

 

          I yelped and shot up straight into the air. Where was I? Wasn’t I lying on the side of the road? Wasn’t I dead? Where was I?

 

          “Shh, shh, Milady.”

 

          Milady? I’ve heard that voice somewhere before.

 

          “Lan!” I gasped as I whirled around to face my former maid. Lan stood, the same as ever, her lips pursed in a straight line, holding a strip of white cloth.

 

          I took in the contents of my surroundings. It was a tent, with furniture, a few sofas, a bed(the one I was lying on), a desk and a table. The table was draped with an elegant, red tablecloth. It was embroidered.

 

          Oh the gods. My blood ran cold as I realized where I was.

 

          “You should lie down, Milady,” Lan’s voice, a little stern, pulled me back into reality, “You are not fully healed. Do not worry. Your kidnappers are being questioned even now. Your father will soon come, after he finishes planning the capture of the rest of the criminals with his general and your mother is just outside,” she hesitated, watching my horrified expression, “Shall I tell her to come in?”

 

          “Yes, please,” I told her eagerly. It has been three months since I saw Mama, and even though I know I’m in such a mess, I’d still like to see her. “Actually,” I said, changing my mind, “Perhaps I can go out to her?” I crossed my fingers a little hopefully. If Lan lets me out I can go see Mama quickly and try to find Chrysanthemum and Kyo.

 

          Lan frowned. “It is your father’s orders that you stay in this tent. The criminals that kidnapped you are dangerous. You must not come into their hands again. Stay in this tent. You will be safe. Milord has stationed several soldiers outside as your guards,” she turned, just in time so that when my disappointment showed, she wasn’t looking at me, “but I shall call your mother to you.”

 

          “Yes,” I said reluctantly, sitting down on the edge of the bed, “Thank you.”

 

          Lan smiled stiffly. She turned and, lifting the door, walked out.

 

          This was bad. I was trapped in a tent, there were soldiers outside and on top of all that, my friends are probably getting tortured or something worse than that. My chances of sneaking out and fighting my way out was slim. Lan only talked about a boy and a girl. So maybe Wen-Ling, Aiko and Shoji weren’t captured? I could only hope.

 

          What could I do? I obviously can’t sneak out, unless I want to get everyone killed. The entrance flap lifted and Mama poked her head through.

 

          “Mayflower?”

 

          Suddenly, at her gentle voice, an idea popped into my head. If I could talk Mama into letting me go…maybe I stood a chance because I won’t have those soldiers to worry about.

 

          Having made up my mind, I turned to face Mama.

 

          “Mama,” I was surprised my voice was so calm. There she was, my beautiful mother, just like her old self. And here I was, just like my old self. My heart was swelling with emotion, and I was expecting a shaky, perhaps even broken voice.

 

          “Oh, my dear!” She flung herself at me, throwing her arms around my waist, kissing my cheeks, “I am so glad that you’re safe! Oh! Damn those kidnappers that abducted you!”

 

          I felt a lump in my throat. “Ma, it’s not like that…”

 

          She pulled away and held me at arms length. I noticed the glistening tears in her big, watery eyes. “Then what was it?” she asked.

 

          “It was…” I hesitated for a while. This would ruin her life too. Ruin her marriage, ruin her beliefs, ruin everything�"and she might not even believe me! She’ll probably just think the kidnappers were messing around with my brain or something of the sort! And yet…well…for my friends’ sake, I have to try, no matter how much it might hurt my mother.

 

          So I told her. I told her everything right from the moment I overheard the dreadful truth that day in Papa’s study. She listened intently, her eyes wide as I told her. It must have taken a long time for me to finish the tale, because my mouth was dry when I had finished the story completely.

 

          She peered at me, looking worried. “Why, Mayflower…that’s…that’s quite a very…well…far-fetched tale…are you sure you’re quite well?”

 

         “Yes, Mama, I am quite well,” I begged, “Just let me go. Even if you don’t believe me. I have to get to my friends. They’re innocent. They didn’t kidnap me. I’m begging you!” I watched as her eyes filled with tears again, although of what those tears were for I did not know. I looked away, eyes down-cast.

 

          “Does this truly mean a lot to you?” My mother’s voice was trembling.

 

          “Yes,” I answered quietly, clasping her hands in mine, “Truly.”

 

          Mama sniffed. Quickly, with a swipe of her sleeve, she wiped away the tears that were starting to run down her cheeks.

 

          We sat in silence for a moment, both of us perfectly still.

 

          And then she spoke. “Go. Go. I will tell the guards that you have permission. Go save your friends.”

 

          I threw my arms around her and gave her a hug. “Thank you Mama,” I murmured.

 

          She stroke my head gently. “Promise me I’ll see you again one day?”

 

          I nodded. “I promise.”

 

          She forced a smile and stood up, looking at me. “You’ve grown up, Mayflower. In three months time I haven’t been here with you you’ve grown into a brave young woman. I am so proud of you,” she turned and bent, lifting the entrance flap and walking out.

 

          For a moment I wanted to call her back, to embrace her once more before I should go…but I forced myself to stay seated, rooted to the spot.

 

          “My lady Mayflower needs fresh air,” I heard Mama say, using a tone she’d never used before on the soldiers. She’d shaped her voice into that of a shrill, demanding, and haughty soprano.

 

          “Are you saying you don’t know what’s best for my own daughter?” I could imagine her lifting her head up with outrage and glaring at the guard with strong dislike at this, “Nonsense! Let her out at once!”

 

          And then the entrance flap opened and a guard came in.

 

          “Come, Milady,” he was cringing, apparently from my Mama’s shrill demands, “Your mama should like you to come out now.

 

          My palms were sweaty and I dug my fingernails into them. This was one of the most crucial moments…if this plan fails…well, let’s just hope it doesn’t or everything would end very badly for everyone.

 

          Using the same technique I did with the soldier that had grabbed me that day when I laughed at Prince Rin so many days ago, I stomped on the soldiers foot, and, grabbing the sword from his belt, I elbowed him in the face. He fell with a thump to the floor into a crumpled heap.

 

          “Oh! What’s that?” My mother’s voice rang out again, shriller than ever. And then she shrieked, “Oh! A rat! A RAT!” Thump. I stifled a giggle. Ah, just like Mama. The best actress around.

 

          “Milady! Milady?” A soldier cried, “Are you alright? Milady, can you hear me?”

 

          That would be one of her fainting stunts then.

 

          I drew the sword I had gotten from the soldier and, dropping the hilt on the ground before the tent, I began a mad dash. I had to find Kyo and Chrysanthemum before it’s too late.

 

          No, I told myself sternly, Don’t think like that.

 

          But the few words echoed in my head, truer than ever.

 

        Before it’s too late.  


© 2011 Rose of Gondor


Author's Note

Rose of Gondor
I don't believe this. ANOTHER chapter in the SAME day!!! With a better cliffhanger!!! I feel happy. :) Chapter 14 is in the making!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! I want to read more!!!! This cliffhanger is so evilly good!!!! I am bouncing in my seat for the next chapter and Mayflower has now earned the title of 'Kick Butt'. =)
Do your best!!! =)

Posted 12 Years Ago


its great can you send me a read request for the next

this has so much potential when you finish it send it to a publisher i will buy a copy i love it

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

328 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 19, 2011
Last Updated on September 19, 2011


Author

Rose of Gondor
Rose of Gondor

NCC-1701 U.S.S. Enterprise, Antarctica



About
Previously known as Phantom Rose. Hi guys! I figured I should change my profile now that it's been a bit. Anyway. I'm an Asian girl with a lot of interests in various forms of art performing, v.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 5 Chapter 5

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor


Chapter 12 Chapter 12

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor


Chapter 6 Chapter 6

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor


Chapter 10 Chapter 10

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor


Chapter 14 Chapter 14

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor