Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor

            After excessive begging and persuasion on Chrysanthemum’s part, Wen-Ling finally agreed to let Chrysanthemum teach me how to use the katana and sword instead of teaching me herself. Really, I hadn’t expected training to be quite so tiring, but by the time we returned to the inn, I was exhausted.

 

            We had moved into Ka Dun a few days ago, and were putting our heads together to solve the next riddle. It was quite frustrating, really. What could it possibly mean by “A hole in the land”?

 

            Chrysanthemum took the time to mention my training, since the streets were crawling with soldiers and I had best learn how to defend myself properly.

           

            “I see you two have been training hard,” the corners of Wen-Ling’s mouth twitched with amusement when I slumped onto my bed immediately upon our return, to tired to do anything else.

 

            “Tatsu did most of the work,” Chrysanthemum stifled a few giggles, giving me a kind smile, “Sh"I mean, he has improved greatly upon the skill of combat.”

 

            I grinned at her.  Chrysanthemum had been entirely too kind in her statement. I still ended up flat on my back with her bokken at my throat.

 

We had been forbidden to use our real names, even in private, and received a sound scolding for it whenever Wen-Ling caught us at it, for, as she puts it “you never know who’s behind the door” and that “the walls have ears!” Frankly, I do not think so much caution is needed, but then again, I have never witness how violent soldiers can be when given permission to kill.

 

            Wen-Ling raised an eyebrow at this, but let it slip, the smirk still spread across her face.

           

            “We’ll be going to visit some ‘hollows in the land’ soon.”

 

            Chrysanthemum grimaced. “I must get better at teaching. Poor Tatsu is exhausted. Do we have to go searching today?”

 

            “I suppose not. But we need to find the Guardian, and very, very quickly.”

 

            “Her?” I asked, sitting up, “How do you know it’s a female?”

 

            “‘Hidden yet not by the Lady in Gray’?” She tapped the piece of paper with the riddle on it gently against my hand, “Maybe you two haven’t been thinking too hard. Besides, weren’t you listening when I told you I knew a few Guardians?”  

 

            Chrysanthemum drew the curtains back and glanced outside. “Actually,” she murmured, “We’ve been thinking about how to avoid,” her finger shot out to point at the tall, muscular man in armor standing by the fruit sale stand, “Those people.”

 

            It was true. Chrysanthemum and I had been discussing ways to “duck” out of sight unnoticed.

 

            “And it’s almost impossible,” I sighed, eyes downcast.

 

            “Come now,” Wen-Ling told us, smiling, “Nothing is really impossible. It’s just really, really, really difficult to achieve. Besides, we really need to find the Guardians. I think that if we could get to the house of a friend of mine safely, we just might have a chance.”

 

            “Who’s your friend?” I asked.

 

            “And why are you so sure she won’t turn us in for the reward? Or maybe just because she thinks she’s bringing us to justice? I meant, we are wanted criminals that supposedly kidnapped Lady Mayflower!” Chrysanthemum twiddled her thumbs nervously, “And"

 

            Wen-Ling held up her hand and Chrysanthemum closed her mouth, silent.

 

            “To answer your question, Mayflower,” she turned to me, “My friend’s name is Aiko Nakamura, and to answer yours, Chrysanthemum. She is the daughter of a Guardian.” Wen-Ling’s eyes twinkled as Chrysanthemum’s jaw dropped.

 

            “Pack your things. Don’t pack the tanto daggers. I expect that Mayflower knows enough to fight a little if need be. Tuck those into your belts tomorrow. We leave tomorrow at dawn. You boys better go get some sleep,” she winked at us and smiled, drawing the curtains close again.

 

            I glanced over at Chrysanthemum, and she glanced back at me.

 

            “I think I can drop dead right now,” I told her as I settled everything into my pack and set a tanto on my bedside table.

 

            “I can too.”

 

            We were both exhausted from our training today.

 

            So we did exactly as we were told.

 

Sleep.

 

***************************************************************************************

 

            “Come on, Mayflower, wake up!” Someone was shaking me, poking my shoulder, “Wake up. Wake up!

 

            I gasped, nearly colliding with Chrysanthemum as I leaped up bolt straight.

 

            It was dawn.

 

            I coiled my hair in its usual topknot, fastening it with the metal hair clip, sliding out of bed. Chrysanthemum was already slinging her pack over her shoulders and she fastened her tanto dagger to her belt. I swallowed, sliding the dagger into my belt. Today was the day.

 

            I stole a glance at the window, not even needing to draw the curtains back to know that soldiers were still roaming the streets. A wave of panic washed over me. What if we get caught? What if we don’t make it? What if…

 

            Steady yourself, Mayflower, I told myself, You shouldn’t be worried. If anyone has any right at all to be worried it’s Wen-Ling and Chrysanthemum, and they’ve seemingly acquired nerves of steel.

 

            Whew. Okay. I’m calm.

 

            “You boys ready?” Wen-Ling’s voice sounded from the other end of the hall.

 

            “Yes!” We called back in unison, although I seriously doubted that I was really ready.

 

            Wen-Ling came in, her bag ready. “Now, we’re going to walk out like there’s nothing wrong, although we know everything is,” she told us gently, “It’s the only way. To fool the men hunting us with our disguise, we have to believe in it.  You have to believe that you are boys and I have to believe that I am your mother.”

 

            I swallowed. Before today it had all been like a game. I hardly believed what was happening around me and the danger seemed dim and hidden.  But now it was real, staring at me in the face, and my knees were weak.

 

            I shuddered.

 

            “You can do it,” She smiled at us encouragingly, “Now come on.”

 

            We followed behind her, creeping down the hall, hardly making a sound as we tiptoed past several other rooms. Wen-Ling was already at the front desk talking to the innkeeper.

 

            I glanced at Chrysanthemum. She looked back.

 

            “This is it,” she murmured, an intense sparkle in her eyes.

 

            I gulped, nodding.

 

            She squeezed my fingers and smiled lightly, walking out as though nothing bad would ever happen. I closed my eyes, my fingers brushing the tanto slightly, ready to spring up and charge the moment the soldiers attack…

 

            But they didn’t. I watched in awe as Wen-Ling and Chrysanthemum strolled down the street as if they were taking a morning walk instead of trying to avoid all the people roaming the streets who want to kill them. For some crazy reason they actually looked…well…like everyone else outside. Chrysanthemum turned and winked at me.

 

My brows knit together.

 

            Alright. If they can do it, so can I.

 

            I inhaled. It was like walking on a tightrope for the first time, really. My first step wobbled, and I gasped, trying very hard not to trip. The idea is to blend in. To be part of the crowd. To be normal and unseen. To trip would be causing a commotion.

 

            I balled my hands into fists, digging the nails of my fingers into my palm. One step and then another. It was killing me, the pressure of trying to blend into the crowd.

 

            I walked as I usually did, but I was already falling far behind Wen-Ling and Chrysanthemum. Worse, I was trembling. I hate pressure. I can’t stand it. I am not myself under pressure.

 

            I could feel my legs wobble. I breathed deeply, counting my steps silently. Oh god, please don’t tell me this is a type of hyperventilating, because I really can’t risk passing out on the road right now.  

 

            And then the unexpected happened. My wobbly legs tangled together and I tripped, falling into a person in front of me, who, in his turn, lost his balance and fell into the person in front of him.

 

            Bang! Two helmeted heads turned my way, and my breath caught in my throat when I realized whom they were.  



© 2011 Rose of Gondor


Author's Note

Rose of Gondor
Yes! I finally finished chapter 8! During the first two days of school too. :) Enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

amazing

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oohhh!!!! I love the way you ended it! Now I really can't wait for the next chapter!!! Loved this chapter and awesome descriptions!!! =) Do your best! =)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 26, 2011
Last Updated on August 28, 2011


Author

Rose of Gondor
Rose of Gondor

NCC-1701 U.S.S. Enterprise, Antarctica



About
Previously known as Phantom Rose. Hi guys! I figured I should change my profile now that it's been a bit. Anyway. I'm an Asian girl with a lot of interests in various forms of art performing, v.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor


Chapter 12 Chapter 12

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor


Chapter 14 Chapter 14

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor


Chapter 5 Chapter 5

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor


Chapter 6 Chapter 6

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor