Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor

          I managed to weave between the many soldiers here in camp as I ducked into shadows and hid behind taller men. At least no one really noticed me, since my nightgown was white and it sort of blended well with the kimonos and such, although it contrasted with armor. It was sort of cold though, and weird, running around the camp in my nightgown dragging a sword that was way too long for me.  I’d gotten a few stares, but no one recognized me as “the Lord’s daughter” and that was good enough for me. I hadn’t planned on dragging such a heavy sword around, but then I didn’t know how heavy it was and that I couldn’t carry it on my own.

 

          It wasn’t too long before I found where Chrysanthemum and Kyo were. Just follow the muffled grunts and the kicking and the groaning and anyone could find them. Their tent was made of dirty linen and it was the smallest, compared to tents around, and there were several noises coming from inside.

 

          Bang!

 

          I winced. That sounded like someone just hit a person over the head. I hope it wasn’t Chrysanthemum or Kyo that got hit! I went in, carrying the sword with two hands… what I saw there stunned and amazed me, and for a moment I stood, frozen with awe. Two soldiers were lying unconscious on the floor and a dazed general-looking person was leaning against the poles of the tent, eyes closed. Chrysanthemum grinned at me and Kyo tried to do the same but failed miserably because of his gag.

 

          “They didn’t bind our legs as tight,” she explained as I finally came out of my stupor and, coming to my senses, started sawing at the ropes that tried Chrysanthemum and Kyo together.

 

          “As soon as they were free, Kyo took a long strip of white linen from his mouth. Apparently, he had been gagged whereas Chrysanthemum wasn’t.

 

          “I have only three words,” he announced, “That. Was. Epic!”

 

          I raised my eyebrows. Here I was, risking my neck and possibly my mother’s to get here to rescue them and the first words Kyo says to me was that his experience being tied up and interrogated was epic.

 

          “We have to get out of here,” I said, grabbing a smaller sword from one of the soldiers. If there was even a tenth of the possibility of getting caught, I was not going to go into battle un-armed. My lessons with Chrysanthemum had only gone to the sword. No weaponless combat for me yet.

 

          Kyo grabbed a sword from one of the soldiers and Chrysanthemum did the same, instead, taking a katana.

 

          “Wait!” she said as I prepared to get out, lifting the entrance flap, “We need a plan.” I dropped the entrance flap and stepped back.

 

      “It’s crawling with soldiers out there,” she said, “How did you even get out?”

 

      “My mother,” I told her, “It would be near impossible for us to get out now. Besides, we don’t even know what part of the forest we’re in. Even if we get out, we’ll be so terribly lost and I bet these soldiers know the land better than we. They could find us in no time.”

 

      “Everything’s near impossible nowadays,” Kyo said while he brandished his sword about, “As for the fact that we’re lost,” here he turned and gave us his biggest smile, “Let’s go steal some maps, shall we?”

 

      I exchanged a worried glance with Chrysanthemum. Getting out was already very dangerous…with the risk of getting caught, trying to steal a few maps didn’t seem like such a good idea to me.

 

      “We have no choice,” Chrysanthemum told me quietly. It was true. We have no choice. It was either taking the risk or wandering around the forest in the dark with soldiers after us.

 

      “Alright then,” heaving a great sigh, I declared, “Let’s go steal some maps.”

 

*           *                     *       *       *       *       *       *      

            Armor wasn’t quite as heavy as I thought it would be. I can tell because I’m wearing a set, complete with boots and a helmet. Chrysanthemum insisted that I don’t run around the place in my nightgown. She says that would attract too much attention, and so would their clothes, as a matter of fact. So, we all put on armor over our usual clothes. The only one of us who thought the armor was heavy was Kyo, but I have a feeling he was just being overdramatic. I bet I looked like a super short soldier since everyone else (besides Chrysanthemum, of course, because she was as tall as I was) was taller than me.

 

            We snuck out, trying to mix ourselves with the soldiers, to camouflage our movements. It didn’t exactly help that someone (I assume it was Lan or my mother) had taken my metal hairclip and my hair was sticking out from under the helmet, cascading down my shoulders. Anyone with eyes could tell I was a girl, and so I ducked my head, trying very hard not to draw attention to myself.

 

            WE didn’t know where the maps are. The only thing I knew for sure is that there should be a copy in the mapper’s tent, which should also be where my father devises his plans for the next steps for his troops. Which is why we were heading for it. I know it was complete suicide, and I know Papa was probably in there right now, but I thought if we could hide and wait till he goes away…well…maybe we could make our escape successfully. The chances were slim though, I know.

 

            I recognized the tent almost immediately. I had been to several war tents before, when Mama insisted on coming with Papa to some of his adventures, I would come along as well. It was a great tent, large, or at least large enough to receive all the important generals for war councils.

 

            “Alright,” I told my companions, “It’s that one over there by the bushes. What a perfect hiding spot too. We can hide there if we need to.”

 

*           *                     *       *       *       *       *       *      

            I ducked behind a bush, pulling Chrysanthemum and Kyo with me. Distinct voices were seeping through the tent and I could make out the voice of my father.

 

            “What are you doing here?” My father’s voice was harsh and crisp, “Shouldn’t you be back in the capitol on your throne right now?”

 

            On your throne? I exchanged a glance with Chrysanthemum. Her eyes were wide. I tugged on the edge of the tent. She nodded.

 

            I lifted the edge of the tent just a tiny bit, to sneak a peek. There he was, no doubt about it, Crown Prince Luan, the new emperor. He looked basically the same as I last saw him, except for the fact that he had lost his arrogance and pride and was now looking quite meek before my father. He fixed his eyes, apparently, on his shoes.

 

            “The council wants you to come back immediately. They wish to send another general in your stead,” he said those words as if he was reciting it, slowly and very, very quietly.

 

            My father didn’t take the news well.

 

            “You fool!” he roared.

 

            I flinched. My father had only used this voice with me once, and that was when I had accidentally dropped my embroidery needle in his boot sticking upwards. I had trembled in my shoes and ran as fast as a deer from a hunter, so I was actually feeling quite sorry for Luan.  He, unlike me, stood where he was, his two hands balled into fists, shaking, but he didn’t run from my father like I had. I suppose he didn’t need to, being the emperor and all that.

 

            “We shall only be safe if I can find Rin first and kill him before any one else find him!” My father’s voice was like thunder as he went on, “Your foolishness will be the death of both of us, boy!”

 

            Chrysanthemum glanced at me, her brows furrowed.

 

            I shrugged. I didn’t understand either.

 

            “You are no better than your father,” Papa spat venomously. “Weak.”

 

            “So what do you propose we do?” Luan’s voice was trembling. I could almost hear the anger behind it. But he wasn’t bursting out. Why wasn’t he? I mean, he was the emperor, for heaven’s sake!

 

            “Go back to the capitol,” my father turned away from the crown prince�"I mean, emperor, “Tell the council you insist upon my being the lead of this investigation.”

 

            “W-wouldn’t that look a bit suspicious?”

 

            “Are you as dimwitted as you seem? Of course it’ll look suspicious! The important thing is that they won’t have any evidence! There will be no one to testify!”

 

            “But…”

 

            “But what? I should’ve gotten your brother to do this. He would have the courage and will to take up this position. Get out, you idiot. I have better things to do than listen to you ‘what if’ all day.”

 

            “Milord!” a soldier burst in and Luan, in a hurry, threw his hood over his head, covering himself.

 

            “What is it?” My father asked sharply.

 

            “Milady…Milady Mayflower is gone. So are the prisoners.”

 

 

            “What?” My father shouted, aghast, “What? Go! Search for them! They can’t have gone far!” He turned back to Luan, growling, “You are dismissed.” Luan turned and walked out.

 

            “Look! There! Do you see her?” A voice came from behind us. I gasped and whirled around. Soldiers were streaming towards us. Oh no! I am not getting captured twice in the same day!

 

            “Come on!” I shouted at Chrysanthemum and Kyo, pulling them behind me as I ran. At this point, a chase, the armor was becoming quite a burden. I yanked the helmet off and tossed it back towards the soldiers.

 

            Thunk! Okay then. Apparently it hit someone in the head.

 

            “Run! Hurry, hurry!” I shouted back towards Chrysanthemum and Kyo. Kyo was keeping up, but Chrysanthemum was falling behind as we ran into the forest. I have to admit, it wasn’t easy for any of us.

 

            I huffed. We have to get away!

 

            I looked back.

 

            The small group of soldiers was on our tails and the one in the lead almost has Chrysanthemum…

 

            Thunk! An arrow shot from straight ahead and buried itself deep into the soldier’s outstretched arm.



© 2011 Rose of Gondor


Author's Note

Rose of Gondor
Oh, yay! Another chapter! The cliffie wasn't as intense. I'm giving readers a break ^.^, although I LOVE evil cliffies. Is it weird that I actually have stuff sort of planned out? Chapter 15 will probably come sooner than expected...unless my teacher gives more homework. Tee-hee.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ah! Who shot the soilder!!!????? Loved this chapter and I really hope that your teacher doesn't give you more homework! Evil teachers...
Awesome chapter and do your best!!! =)

Posted 12 Years Ago


its great

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

430 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 20, 2011
Last Updated on September 20, 2011


Author

Rose of Gondor
Rose of Gondor

NCC-1701 U.S.S. Enterprise, Antarctica



About
Previously known as Phantom Rose. Hi guys! I figured I should change my profile now that it's been a bit. Anyway. I'm an Asian girl with a lot of interests in various forms of art performing, v.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 5 Chapter 5

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor


Chapter 12 Chapter 12

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor


Chapter 6 Chapter 6

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor


Chapter 10 Chapter 10

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor


Chapter 13 Chapter 13

A Chapter by Rose of Gondor