Twenty-Two

Twenty-Two

A Chapter by Sara

 

Heather fixed her hair for the second time. Her brown hair was perfect but she kept adjusting her bangs anyway. She sighed uneasily into her locker mirror.

She cursed Mandy under her breath. Then she cursed herself, she couldn’t think straight now that Richard was asking about David.

 

Heather shuddered thinking of all the things Richard might do if he knew how she felt about David. Blackmail was only one of his pastimes.

Despite what she’d told Mandy, she always suspected that Richard had more then a colleague like interest in her. A year ago that same possibility would’ve made her ecstatic, to have Richard powerless in front of her was a dream come true.

But now it terrified her; she didn’t want David as the test subject.

 

Casually she looked down the hall at David’s locker hopping she’d seem him doing something normal. Something that would tell her he was fine.

 

Instead she found Kimberly impatiently pacing next to it. There was something different about her, something stronger about the way she looked at her watch. It was like she’d found her purpose, and for an instant Heather wondered how alike cousins could be. How alike Richard and Kimberly would be if things were different.

 

When Kimberly looked up from her wristwatch Heather caught her eye.

Heather tilted her head in a silent question. Kimberly only shrugged her shoulders.

 

Heather frowned, quickly shut her locker and strolled up to Kimberly. Just as she’d made it to Kimberly David stepped into the hallway. He was looking over his shoulder uneasily, and nearly bumped into Heather.

 

“Oh, hey Heather,” he said evenly, his hand nervously pushing back his hair. He had been smiling brightly until he noticed Kimberly. His face twitched as he tried to hold on to the smile. 

“David, what took you so long?” Kimberly said tapping her watch.

“Hey Kimberly, nothing I was just trying to avoid James.” David said lowering his voice. He cleared his throat meaningfully.

“I know what you mean. In art class he kept trying to get me talk to him, about you.” Heather said pursing her lips. The two of them looked at Heather before quickly looking away.

Noticing their awkwardness Heather added.  “I didn’t say anything if you were worried about that.”

“Thanks.” Kimberly said gratefully then turning to David she asked. “Wait, James was behind you?”

“Yeah, I saw him near the library.”

“Did he see you?”

“Um guys.” Heather said shaking Kimberly’s arm but she shook off Heather.

“No, I’m pretty sure he didn’t see me. But he’ll be here soon, with lots of questions.”

“Why, what did you tell him?” Kimberly said crossing her arms.

“Nothing. I just texted him that I was busy and couldn’t meet with him today.”

“Hmm, I thought we agreed.” Kimberly hissed darkly.

“Agreed about what?”

David and Kimberly looked up at James.

“Nothing,” David said stepping away.

Kimberly pursed her lips and mouthed ‘p***y’ at David. Then turning back to James she frowned, “We’re going out.”

 

 

 

 



© 2013 Sara


Author's Note

Sara
:P

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on March 20, 2013
Last Updated on March 20, 2013


Author

Sara
Sara

Toronto, Canada



About
My name is Sara, all you really need to know about me is that I love a good story. It doesn't matter what shape, length or style. The story is what I live for. I'll read any story, novel or book. .. more..

Writing
Identify me Identify me

A Story by Sara