A Big Surprise

A Big Surprise

A Chapter by Toni-Lynn Benoit
"

It is Katie and Ray's one year anniversary. What "surprise" does Katie have for Ray?

"

Katie sat alone in her bedroom. She was scared and unsure. She didn't know what to do or what to say. But she had to figure something out because her boyfriend would be at her house in a matter of minutes. Should she tell him? Maybe she could just keep it a secret--although that was highly unlikely. She knew what she needed to do, she just was unsure if she would be able to do so when the time came.

 

Katie heard a knock on the door. She instinctively threw the test to the other side of the room hoping that Ray wouldn't see it from the bed. "Come in," she said in her normal upbeat voice. 

 

Ray opened the door and walked in with a box of chocolates and a purple daisy. He knew it was her favorite. Then it dawned on Katie that today was there 1 year anniversary. And did she have a surprising gift in store for him. "Hey babe. Happy anniversary!" He kissed her on the cheek and handed her the gifts. "I missed you at school today. How come you didn't come?" He sat next to her and tucked her hair behind her ear.

 

"I just wasn't really feeling well. I haven't eaten a solid meal all day." Katie looked across the room at where she had thrown the test. Should she really tell him the news?

 

"Aww babe, why didn't you tell me? I would have brought you some real food instead of chocolate." He was so caring. He always knew how to take care of her, even when she didn't want him to. Would he take care of her when she needed him most?

"I'm still not really hungry. Thanks though. I really like your gifts." Katie faked a smile as best as she could. All she could think about was this news that she had. She didn't want to tell him, but she had no other choice. Katie walked over to her desk and pulled a box out of the drawer. She figured she would give him something good to think about before the bad. "Here this is for you." She handed him the box and then sat next to him on the bed.

 

Ray opened the box and saw the new watch that Katie had gotten for him. "Baby, I love it. And my watch just broke today. So now I can use your watch." He placed it on his wrist and smiled at Katie. She couldn't  muster up enough strength to fake a smile this time. Instead, she broke down crying. Ray placed his arms around her. "Baby, what's wrong? Is it something I said?"

"No, it isn’t anything you said. But I have one more thing I have to tell you." She looked back at the corner and that was when Ray noticed the test. She wasn't sure what he was thinking. All she could gather was that he was in just as much shock as she was, if not more.

 

"Is that what I think it is?" He looked at the corner again and then back at Katie. Katie nodded her head and then looked down at her hands. She couldn't look up at him. She didn't want to see the emotion on his face.

 

"I have been throwing up for the past week. I have lost close to 5 pounds. I figured I should take a test seeing how we…you know…" The tears that she had been holding back since Ray came started to fall once again. "I am so sorry…I didn't mean for this to happen…" Katie got up from the bed and walked over to her window. She looked out at the world and somehow it felt different. 

 

Katie could hear Ray get up from the bed and walk over to the corner. He was so calm about it, he was always calm about everything. That was why they were so perfect for each other. When Katie was being a basket case about something, Ray would come along-side her and calm her down. Would he do the same now or would he walk away forever? "If you want to leave I will totally understand," said Katie.

 

"Katie, look at me. I'm still here aren't I?" He was right. He was still there, standing in front of her holding the test in one hand and her daisy in the other. "This isn't your fault. We both knew what could happen. This stuff happens all the time. But you want to know what is different with us?" He held his hand out toward Katie and she held onto it tightly. "I will be with you every step of the way." Ray smiled at her with his infamous smile.

 

"Ray, I love you so much." Katie wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. Ray pulled her into a kiss and she felt like everything would be okay.



© 2013 Toni-Lynn Benoit


Author's Note

Toni-Lynn Benoit
Give me input on the next chapter. Let me know any suggestions you guys have.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Good opening. Your characterization is good. You have definitely gotten my attention. You didn't tell us how old Katie and Ray are, but it is obvious that they are in their teens, and this surprise is going to cause them some problems.
Next, of course, she is going to have to tell her family. How will they react? And will Ray want to be present when they get the news, or will he be a coward and leave her to face the music alone?
Will he decide to tell his own family? Often it is the young man's family that causes the worst problems, surprisingly enough. They are reluctant to have their promising young prodigy "saddled" with a child to support before he's had a chance to prepare himself for that magnificent career they have planned for him...
Yes, I am curious to read the next chapter.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

omg, A-mazing. i just love it and i cannot wait for more. it's so sweet it got me smiling the whole time. i hope we can write something together someday because i believe that we can pull off something great.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I must say what I have to say. this chapter is very well written, though no chapter is perfect, but at least you tried everything out. starting from the plot and story, you kind of kept the balance between them, you gave her a chance to think yet you let the plot go, if it is clear for you. next the characters were very well built up. but there are some weaknesses, like you have used so many rhetorical questions, it kind of slowed down the plot and the work, you very well grabbed my attention with what the news might be, but yet you asked too much. to be very honest with you. I liked it, it was good, but still it needs revising, it needs some more feeling to be added. all in all best luck

Posted 10 Years Ago


Good opening. Your characterization is good. You have definitely gotten my attention. You didn't tell us how old Katie and Ray are, but it is obvious that they are in their teens, and this surprise is going to cause them some problems.
Next, of course, she is going to have to tell her family. How will they react? And will Ray want to be present when they get the news, or will he be a coward and leave her to face the music alone?
Will he decide to tell his own family? Often it is the young man's family that causes the worst problems, surprisingly enough. They are reluctant to have their promising young prodigy "saddled" with a child to support before he's had a chance to prepare himself for that magnificent career they have planned for him...
Yes, I am curious to read the next chapter.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 20, 2013
Last Updated on August 29, 2013
Tags: a future unknown, love, romance, teen, read


Author

Toni-Lynn Benoit
Toni-Lynn Benoit

Dededo, Guam



About
I am 19 and I live on Guam. I love to dance, sing, act, and write stories! more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Toni-Lynn Benoit