The First Hurdle

The First Hurdle

A Chapter by Toni-Lynn Benoit
"

Now that Ray and Katie have had time to think about the idea of being parents, they have one more thing they must do before they plan for the baby's arrival.

"

Katie and Ray were laying in his bed and watching TV. It had been one month since they had found out that they were going to be parents. To them this past month had seemed like an eternity. Every day seemed to go by slower than the rest. Ray placed his hand on Katie's arm and gently moved his hand back and forth.

 

"Ray, we have to tell them. I can't keep walking around both our parents with this huge secret on my back," said Katie. She looked at him with concerned eyes. She was nervous to tell them, but she knew it had to be done.

 

"Well, technically the secret is in your stomach, not your back," said Ray with a bit of a chuckle. Katie glared at him with a look that was his warning. He knew now wasn't the time to be making jokes. But that was something he normally did in tense situtions. "I'm sorry. I'm just a little nervous about…you know…telling our parents." Katie could feel his hands start to clam up. She picked up his hand and turned around to face him.

 

"Ray, how could you possibly be nervous about telling your parents? I don't think I have ever seen them mad at you." Ray placed his hand in his hair and started to brush it back.

 

"It's not my parents I'm worried about…I'm worried about your parents. They were never incredibly fond of me. And now that I got you pregnant, they will probably never let me see you." Ray placed his head down between his knees. He couldn't believe that this was happening. He had been trying to stay strong for Katie this past month. But he just couldn't hold it back anymore.

 

"Ray, listen to me. We have to tell our parents. This is not something we can hide from them. We can tell them together. And know that no matter what my parents say, I will always be with you. I am going to be 18 in two months and a mother in about 8 months. It's time they let me grow up and make my own decisions. And my first choice is you and our baby." Katie placed her hand on his cheek. She gently kissed away the tear that had fallen down his face. "So, are we going to do this? Your parents are home now…"

 

Ray sighed deeply and gathered himself together. "Alright, let's go ahead and do this."

 

Ray stood up and placed his hand towards Katie. She grabbed ahold of his hand and got up with him. They walked down the stairs and into the kitchen where Ray's parents were preparing dinner. Ray and Katie stopped in front of the counter and prepared for what was about to happen.

 

"Hey Mom and Dad," said Ray. Katie could tell he was nervous. She squeezed his hand to reassure him that she was right beside him.

 

"Oh, hi sweetheart. How was school?" Ray's mom looked up briefly from what she was doing and flashed her award winning smile.

 

"We need to talk." Ray looked at his mom with a look of urgency. Katie placed her hand on his arm and whispered in his ear, "I'm right here."

 

"Ray what is this all about? Your father and I need to cook dinner and get everything ready for the church outing…" Ray's dad cut her off.

 

"Helen, let the boy talk. Whatever it is, it must be important. Go ahead sport. What's on your mind?" Ray's mom and dad now had his full and undivided attention. 

 

"You may want to sit down for this. Now I know you guys love me and you support my choices. And one of those choices is that I am in love with Katie and I want to spend the rest of my life with her." Ray looked down at Katie. "And not only am I going to be with Katie, but also our child."

 

Ray's mom and dad were at a loss for words. They looked at each other and then back at Katie and Ray. "Son, are you saying that Katie is pregnant?" said Ray's dad. Ray let out a deep breath and then answered his father with a simple. "Yes".

 

"Now before you guys get upset at Katie, this wasn't her fault. And I want you both to know that we have talked about what we are going to do about school and we have also talked about what we both want to do with the baby." Ray was very passionate about this topic. Katie could tell it was something he really cared about which made her smile a little inside. "We want to keep the baby. It's our child and we want to raise it."

 

Ray's parents looked at each other, unsure of what to even think. The first one to finally say something was Ray's dad. "Raymond, how could you be so irresponsible? I mean its not like we didn't think you were going to eventually have sex. But you should have taken some form of precautions. Raising a baby is hard work especially at your age..."

 

Ray's mom looked at her husband and placed her hand on his arm so he would stop. She looked at Katie and said, "Have you told your parents yet?" Katie just shook her head and then looked back down in shame.

 

"Well, it sounds like you two have talked about this. You two are both grown. While we may not be happy with the situation, we want to assure you both that we will help you two with whatever you need. Especially seeing how I am going to have my first grandchild." She walked over to both Katie and Ray and hugged them tight.

 

Ray's dad sighed and then walked over as well and put his hand on Ray's shoulder. "Your mother is right. You have us to support you and we will do whatever we need to do to make sure this baby is born healthy and will be provided for."

 

Ray and Katie looked at each other and breathed a sigh of relief. Now there was just one more thing they had to do. They had to tell Katie's parents the news….



© 2013 Toni-Lynn Benoit


Author's Note

Toni-Lynn Benoit
Here is chapter two. Thank you those who have reviewed chapter one! you gave me some great input and ideas for this chapter. Hopefully I can continue to get feedback and grow more as a writer.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

great use of dialogue in this piece and it sounds pretty much like what some parents would say to their offspring about becoming parents.

Posted 10 Years Ago


The story is coming along well so far, and if I may, I would like to comment on a couple of things. First of all, the continued use of the endearment 'babe'. It takes away from the flow, from the 'reality' of the story. I think you should add a bit of tension in this chapter because at that age parents are not going to be that supportive as soon as they find out their teenage son will be a father. In other words try to create a small level of conflict so the reader can see character development while the parents come to terms with the pregnancy. I am curious to discover how kate's folks are going to respond. A very entertaining read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


and Toni, when you're talking about Ray, is there someone specific for that character? you, for example?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Yat ;)

10 Years Ago

haha, alright. it's just that i don't normally know or see guys like ray. maybe you haven't given so.. read more
Toni-Lynn Benoit

10 Years Ago

Yeah the characteristics of Ray that i've portrayed so far are based on a friend of mine. There is a.. read more
Yat ;)

10 Years Ago

development of the character? i hope it develops to the best, i wouldn't wanna be disappointed afte.. read more
i love it Toni and wow, ray's parents are pretty cool but i'm a little worried about Katie's. in other words, i'm thrilled to see the 3rd chapter ;]

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ray's parents do seem to be supportive, and that's good. Perhaps they are a tad too permissive...letting their teenage son have his girlfriend in his bed does seem like asking for trouble...but they handled the situation well. Lots of parents wouldn't have been so understanding.
Now for Kate's mom and dad. There seems to be some apprehension about telling them. It's hard to see your little girl pregnant before she even finishes high school...so much for a mom and dad's dreams for their baby! Imagine yourself in her parents' place...the trust you placed in your baby girl shattered, your dreams for her gone...how would you react? But then...this is your baby that you love...and her baby will be your grandchild...
It's a difficult situation. How will they handle it?
I can't wait to find out!

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is pretty good. I can't wait for the next. Although I'm not to fond of the "babe/ babey nickname, I like this book so far. Mind sending me a read request when you have more? Please and thank you?

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 26, 2013
Last Updated on August 29, 2013
Tags: novel, please read, romance, teen pregnancy


Author

Toni-Lynn Benoit
Toni-Lynn Benoit

Dededo, Guam



About
I am 19 and I live on Guam. I love to dance, sing, act, and write stories! more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Toni-Lynn Benoit



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sunday Sunday

A Chapter by Blissful Sin


Two Two

A Chapter by Pryde Foltz