The Confrontation

The Confrontation

A Chapter by Toni-Lynn Benoit
"

Katie and Ray have mended the tension from that day, but when Ray finds out some information from Adam how will he react?

"

Ray was exhausted as he headed over to Adam’s house. Dinner had included a draining conversation and then he and Katie continued with their prior business. Adam had called and asked if he was going to come over, so Ray decided whatever he had to say to Ray must be important. He reached Adam’s house and made his way to the door where it was immediately opened with Adam standing there.

     

“Ray, come in! I am glad you decided to stop by,” Adam said as he ushered Ray inside.

        

“Well, you sounded like it was something important so I figured it was probably best,” Ray said looking around the house to see if anyone else was around. “So what is so important that you needed me to come over?”

          

Adam sat down on the couch and started rubbing his hands together. He often did that when he was nervous so this caught Ray’s attention. “You know how you were under the impression that I didn’t know Katie that well?” Ray was weary to answer his question. As far as he knew, Adam and Katie only knew each other from hang outs with the three of them.

          

“Yeah, I remember that. You two didn’t meet until Katie and I started dating.”

          

Adam let out a deep sigh and continued looking down at his hands refusing to look at Ray. “Well…that isn’t necessarily true…” Ray couldn’t believe what he was hearing. They knew each other before he started dating Katie? How could this be?

          

“What do you mean it isn’t true?” Ray had a tinge of annoyance in his voice. He hated to think that there was something Katie had been hiding from him. “How did you know her?”

         

Adam now looked up at Ray and you could tell that Adam was really conflicted about telling Ray this news. “We hung out before you two started dating. It wasn’t really anything serious. Just two people hanging out really, but she sort of pushed herself onto me…”


Ray was unsure of the emotions he was feeling at the moment. He wanted to be upset that Adam was telling him this. He wanted to be upset at the fact that he had hung out with Katie before Katie and him had met, but he was more upset at the fact that Adam had said Katie pushed herself onto Adam. Katie wasn’t that type of person. “That can’t be true…Katie isn’t the type of girl to do that?” Ray remembered that they hadn’t even kissed until after dating for 4 months. There is no way that she would do that with Adam.


“I know it hurts to hear it dude, but it’s the truth. We were in the park one day just hanging out and she started kissing me and she told me she loved me and….” Ray couldn’t take it anymore.


“Stop!! Just stop…I can’t listen to this.” All of the sudden he couldn’t breathe anymore, the air had gotten too thick in this house. Ray got up and walked towards the window. He saw the open space and felt the need for fresh air. “I have to go. I’m sorry…” Ray grabbed his car keys and headed for the door.


“I can’t let you drive like this…I would feel responsible if anything were to happen to you. Just stay the night man,” said Adam. Ray shook his head.


“I have to go home. I have to talk to Katie. I need to sort this all out before I go crazy.” Before Ray could open the door, Adam placed his hand on Ray’s shoulder causing Ray to turn around and face Adam.


“I really hope you aren’t mad at me. I just knew that I needed to tell you and I figured that Katie wouldn’t.” Adam had a look of apology on his face and Ray just gave Adam a hug.


“Don’t worry man; I am not mad at you. And I appreciate you for telling me.” Ray left the house and made his way for the car. Once he started the car he just sat there not sure what his next move would be. He didn’t want to go home and ask Katie about it, but at the same time he wanted to know her side of the story. Would she even admit to it?


Ray drove home and blasted the car radio. He needed a few moments to gather his thoughts before dealing with the upcoming argument that was sure to occur. Ray wondered if he should even bring it up. It wasn’t like Katie had cheated on him. They weren’t even together at the time, but it still bothered Ray that Katie hadn’t told him about it. Especially if Adam and her had…he didn’t even want to think about it.


He pulled into the driveway and walked inside his house to find Katie standing in front of the refrigerator looking through its contents. She turned around to see Ray walk in and instantly lit up. Then when she saw his face, she knew something was terribly wrong and wondered what on earth it could have been.


“Hey, where have you been? You left so soon and I was wondering if…” Ray cut her off before she could say anymore.


“We need to talk…” Never had he ever said those words to her. The two were so open with each other that there had never been a reason to reveal any hidden information, because there wasn’t any. Katie closed the door to the refrigerator and followed him into the living room.


“What’s the matter Ray? You can talk to me about anything.” She reached for his hand, which Ray pulled away from her.


“Tell me how you know Adam…” Katie’s heart started to beat very quickly. She had never told a living soul about her “relationship” with Adam due to all the painful memories it entailed, but here Ray was asking her blatantly how she knew him. This could only lead her to assume that Adam had told him something.


“What did Adam tell you?” Katie said calmly trying to keep her composure. She didn’t want this to turn into a massive blowout. They had just mended things from today; she didn’t need any more conflicts.


“I asked YOU to tell me about it! Who cares what Adam did or didn’t say?!” Ray yelled at her. Katie was instantly taken back at the new volume of his voice. They had never yelled at each other their entire year of being together, but that had all changed and now Katie wasn’t sure who was standing in front of him.


“Look, I don’t know what Adam told you, but I can almost guarantee that it isn’t true. And I do not have to explain myself to you! That was before we were together and it is none of your business!” Katie stood up and was talking loudly and on the verge of tears.


“It is my business! It became my business when you went and got yourself pregnant!” Ray immediately wished he could take back the words that had just left his mouth, but the damage was done and the words had been said. He had never seen Katie look at him the way she was now. It was almost a look of hatred.


“You don’t know anything Ray. And you never will…” Katie stormed upstairs and locked the door to the guest room. Ray flopped back down on the couch and immediately started crying. How had everything gone so terribly wrong in the span of a month?


Katie was sitting on the floor by the door sobbing uncontrollably. She couldn’t understand how her life had gotten so screwed up. Just a month ago Ray and Katie were the happiest couple ever and couldn’t have been anymore in love. And now, they were at each other’s throats constantly fighting. This wasn’t a world to bring a baby in to and Katie decided that she wouldn’t do that to her baby. She grabbed her bags and walked out the door.


Ray heard the door open upstairs and hoped that Katie was coming down to talk. He felt sorry for what he had said and he hoped that they could talk things out, but he was very surprised to see her come down with her bags.


“Katie, wha-what are you doing?” Katie walked to the door and put her belongings down. She turned to Ray and he could see the tear stains on her cheeks.


“I am leaving. This is not a home to raise a baby in,” said Katie refusing to look Ray in the eyes. He got up from the couch and reached for Katie. She pulled back refusing him any chance to touch her.


“Katie, please we can talk this out. I am sorry about what I said, I was just upset.” Ray was pleading with Katie to get her to stay, but Katie refused to listen.


“You were upset about what Adam told you, but you didn’t bother to ask me first before accusing me. Do you want to know the truth? Do you really want to know how I know Adam?” Katie looked as if she was waiting for him to say “yes” so she could explode and give him what he deserved.


“It doesn’t matter anymore. I don’t care how you know him,” he said while making another attempt to reach out to her. She didn’t move, but she remained distant. “Please Katie, just don’t leave me…” Katie moved away from him and picked up her bags.


“Goodbye, Ray.” Katie opened the door and walked away. Ray looked out the door and continued pleading with her for her to come back, but she just ignored him. When he realized that she wasn’t coming back he fell to his knees and started to cry once more.


He couldn’t believe that Katie had walked out, and he couldn’t believe that he let her. He had said all the wrong things and he didn’t see any reason for her to forgive him. He went up to his room and tried to sleep, but his mind was flooded with thoughts of Katie and where she was and if she was safe. He just hoped that it wasn’t too late.



© 2014 Toni-Lynn Benoit


Author's Note

Toni-Lynn Benoit
Next Chapter! Hope you all enjoy and please let me know your thoughts on the chapter and story so far :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am curious about how this will resolve itself.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 14, 2014
Last Updated on May 14, 2014
Tags: teen pregnancy, a future unknown, read, for everyone, review, young author, romance, love


Author

Toni-Lynn Benoit
Toni-Lynn Benoit

Dededo, Guam



About
I am 19 and I live on Guam. I love to dance, sing, act, and write stories! more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Toni-Lynn Benoit