The Hard Knock Life

The Hard Knock Life

A Chapter by Toni-Lynn Benoit
"

Katie and Ray have told his parents. Now Katie must tell her parents. How will she break the news?

"

Katie sat at the dinner table with her parents and little sister named Beth. Beth was talking about her day at preschool and her parents were eagerly listening. Katie just sat there, barely touching her food. Ray was supposed to come over tonight so they could tell her parents together. But his parents dragged him to this church outing at the last minute. So that meant that Katie was all alone on this one. Her head was pounding and she was nervous. Maybe she could just tell Ray that she told them without really telling them. No, that wouldn't have been fair. Ray told his parents and now it was her turn. She just wished Ray was here to support her.

 

"Katie, you've barely touched your food. Are you feeling sick again?" Katie's mom looked at her from the end of the table. Her mom was always there for her and she knew she truly cared about her.

 

"Katie, you need to be careful. You don't want to get sick too often. If you miss enough school you'll miss your chance at getting into your dream school. I know how much you want to go to Stanford," said Katie's dad. Katie's dad always brought up school at the dinner table. He felt he constantly needed to remind her of her dream of going to Stanford. She felt like no matter how good she was doing in school, it was never good enough for her dad. She had a 3.9 grade point average and all he could focus on was what she hadn't accomplished. But now she had other dreams. Dreams that didn't…that couldn't include Stanford.

 

"Yes, mom I'm fine. And don't worry dad, I know." Then Katie went right back to moving her food around her plate. She never really conversed with her parents. Maybe that was why she was having such a difficult time figuring out how she was going to tell them.

 

Katie's mom stood up and picked up Beth's plate and placed it in the kitchen. When she returned she brought out a bowl of ice cream for Beth. "So, I thought Ray was supposed to come over for dinner. Is everything alright with you two?" Katie's dad rolled his eyes just hearing Ray's name.

 

"If you two were to break-up, that would be the happiest day of my life," said Katie's dad.

 

"Harold! Don't say that!" Katie wasn't oblivious to the fact that her dad didn't like Ray. Then again he never really tried to hide it. She didn't really care though because his reason was a figment of his imagination. 

 

"It's fine mom, I already know you guys don't like Ray. And just so you know everything between Ray and I is great. So there is no chance of us breaking up." Katie had a hint of irritation in her voice. Then her dad gave her "the look" and she just stopped talking.

 

"Katie, it isn't that we don't like Ray. We just don't really like his parent's style of parenting. They are too permissive. He doesn't have a curfew and he can basically do what he pleases." Mary tried to make it sound like that was the real issue, but Katie knew better.

 

"No, Mary. I don't like Ray. I think he is playing with Katie and he is just using her. Once he goes off to college he will find some other girl and break her heart. I just wish she would see that." Her dad got up from the table and started walking into the living room. Once he went there, that meant the discussion was over. But Katie wasn't going to let him speak about Ray like that.

 

"No, dad! He isn't playing with me. In fact, you guys should know that he wants to get married and have a family with me." Katie was upset and it showed in her face, body language, and tone.

 

"Katie, don't talk to your father like that. I don’t care if you are upset. You will respect him," said Mary.

 

"Mom, I'm sorry. I just can't let you guys talk about him like that anymore. I love him and he loves me." Katie started to walk to her room when her dad stopped her.

 

"Katie, I don’t care if you love him. You will not be marrying anyone without my permission. And I certainly will not be giving you permission to marry Ray. I know his type and it will only lead you to a road of heartbreak." Her dad looked at her and waited for her to say something.

 

"Well, like it or not, I will always be connected to Ray. I'm pregnant! We are going to be a family. Ray, our baby, and I…" Katie looked at her parents and waited for their response. Her mom had a look of disappointment. Her dad looked furious.

 

"How on earth could you make such a terrible decision!? You realize that you just threw away all four years of high school and your future all for what? A boy? A boy that probably doesn't even love you! You are not the daughter I raised you to be!" Her dad just screamed and screamed.

 

"Mom, are you going to let him talk like this…?" Katie was pleading with her mom to make him stop. She was the only one who could.

 

"I'm sorry Katie…your father is right…" Her mom just picked Beth up and walked outside.

 

Katie walked up the stairs fast so she could get away from her parents. "Where do you think you are going young lady? We aren't done here!" Her dad yelled up the stairs after her.

 

"I am! I am done!" Katie ran into her room and slammed the door. She made sure to lock it behind her so her dad couldn't come in.

 

Katie fell on the bed and started sobbing. Her whole body ached and she just couldn't stand to be in that house one more second. She got up and went to her closet. She grabbed some of her belongings and threw them in a duffel bag. She grabbed her phone, laptop, school bag and headed for her window. Her room was on the other side of the house so there was no chance that her parents would see her leaving. She sat on her window sill and looked back into her room one last time. Katie decided that it was time for her to make this choice for her and her baby. So, she said goodbye to her home and threw her duffel bag out the window. Katie didn't know where she was going to go. But she knew that she couldn't stay at home with her parents. And with that final thought, she made her way down the tree next to her window, grabbed her duffel, and was on her way.



© 2013 Toni-Lynn Benoit


Author's Note

Toni-Lynn Benoit
Here is the next chapter. Thank you all again for reviewing my work and helping me with the process of writing this story. Please continue with the great feedback. If you have any suggestions for the next chapter please let me know! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i'm always gonna say ''i loved it'' believe me. this is the kinda book i would buy without a second thought. it's great how you can mix all emotions in just a few lines. "If you two were to break-up, that would be the happiest day of my life," and honestly, that made me laugh so i find it cool you're putting a little humor in it. :D i'm excited to see what she does next.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Well, we expected her parents to over react... But now what? Of course, she will go to Ray...his parents have already let him take her to his room...will they let her stay with them? And what will her parents do about it? Can they force her to come home? Will they try?
Will she truly give up on her dreams of Stanford? It's not impossible these days for a girl to go to college and have a baby...I have a grand daughter who is doing it...of course, she has a husband and that helps...
I do hope that Kate's parents calm down. A girl who is going to have a baby kind of needs her Mom...I'm sure her Mom remembers what it was like...

I think the story is coming along very well. Keep up the good work!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 28, 2013
Last Updated on August 29, 2013
Tags: youth, teen pregancy, fiction, please read, please review, for everyone


Author

Toni-Lynn Benoit
Toni-Lynn Benoit

Dededo, Guam



About
I am 19 and I live on Guam. I love to dance, sing, act, and write stories! more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Toni-Lynn Benoit