American Dream (Essay)

American Dream (Essay)

A Chapter by Writing.the.Strings

The American Dream is hopes to receive a better life in America. Better opportunities for freedom, jobs, and equality. "The Writer in the Family by E.L. Doctorow and American History by Judith Ortiz Cofer both include perspectives on the American Dream. One by Jonathan from The Writer in the Family and Elena from American History. They both have American Dreams that involve happiness. 
    First, The Writer in the Family, Jonathan was asked by his aunt Frances to create fake letters posing as his late father so she can send them to his grandmother because she had not been told that her son had died. Aunt Frances was afraid the news would leave her in shock and she would die as well. On page seven, she convinces him. "You're the writer in the family," my aunt said. "Your father had so much faith in you. Would you mind making up something? Send it to me and I'll read it to her. She won't know the difference." For a while he did write the letters. That is until his mom discovered their plan. "He can't even die when he wants to!" She cried. "Even death comes second to Mama! What are they afraid of, the shock will kill her? Nothing can kill her she's indestructible." At that point Jonathan realized that making his family is not as important as making his immediate family happy. He ended the trend by telling the truth. 
    However, in American History, Elena wanted to make herself happy. Elena is a Puerto Rican girl living in Philadelphia. At school she is usually bullied and mistreated. After a boy by the name of Eugene moves into the house across from the building she lived, she took interest in him. Eventually, they became friends and started hanging around school. Then came the day of John F. Kennedy's assassination. It brought devastation to her community. This was the day Elena discovered her true feelings towards Eugene. She was preparing a study session with him. Although his mom didn't seem fond of it. "Listen, Honey, Eugene doesn't want to study with you. He is a smart boy. Doesn't need help. You understand me? I am truly sorry if he told you you could come over. He cannot study with you. It's nothing personal." Not only was she being rude, she was also being racist. She rejected Elena because of who she was while also knowing their family wasn't going to stay in Philadelphia much longer. Elena then starts questioning if she would ever be happy. "But the tears that came up from a deep source inside me were strictly for me." Devastated by rejection and disapproval, she doubts love will come her way.
    The American Dream is accessible to anyone who is willing to achieve it. To most, it is a right. To others, a privilege. Jonathan did achieve his American Dream by writing the truth in his final letter. Though, Elena did not achieve it. Happiness plays a role in both American Dreams but one has to do with themselves while the other has to do with immediate family. Different American Dreams lingers in the minds willing to risk anything or everyt
hing to reach it. 


© 2017 Writing.the.Strings


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I believe. American dream still be reached. Education, hard work and great drive.
"The American Dream is accessible to anyone who is willing to achieve it. To most, it is a right. To others, a privilege. Jonathan did achieve his American Dream by writing the truth in his final letter. Though, Elena did not achieve it. Happiness plays a role in both American Dreams but one has to do with themselves while the other has to do with immediate family. Different American Dreams lingers in the minds willing to risk anything or everything to reach it. "
The above lines are needed to know success. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and wisdom. I did liked.
Coyote


Posted 7 Years Ago


Writing.the.Strings

7 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I did enjoy and you are welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 3, 2017
Last Updated on March 6, 2017


Author

Writing.the.Strings
Writing.the.Strings

DC



About
Love to write and read. Violinist; beginner pianist. more..

Writing