Puerto Rico Research (Essay)

Puerto Rico Research (Essay)

A Chapter by Writing.the.Strings
"

I'm part Puerto Rican, so I chose to do this island for a project, Again. my teacher didn't assign us to finish it.

"
Colonization 

Puerto Rico is an island located in the Caribbean. It lies southeast of Miami, Florida and east of the Dominican Republic, bordering the Caribbean Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean. Before Puerto Rico was colonized, Hunter Gatherers inhabited the island.  Arawakan-speaking Taino Indians arrived 1,000 years later, bringing their culture. They lived in small villages led by a cacique. Otherwise known as a chief. The Taino grew domesticated crops due to the lack of knowledge of agriculture. These crops consisted of tropical fruits such as mangos, pineapples, cassava, Fish and meat were also part of the domesticated lifestyle.  (Britannica) 
In 1492, Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain signed an agreement known as the Capitulations of Santa Fe. This allowed Columbus (who at the time was going on a voyage to the New World) to control any discovered land. The Spanish were in search of gold. Believing that the Spanish were immortal gods, they had shown them the gold pieces in the river offering them to take all they wanted. With an ambitious lieutenant by the name of Juan Ponce De Leon, Puerto Rico became Spain's most important military outpost in the Caribbean.  
Years progressed as the Spanish treated the Taino as if they were slaves, Forcing them to do their work. This mainly consisted of gold mining, until sugar cane was introduced. The Taino Indians were not happy about this which resulted them to try and banish them to no avail. (Welcome to Puerto Rico)
The United States claimed Puerto Rico as its territory after defeating the Spaniards in the Spanish-American War. They had access to everything such as industries, government, and the people. It also was the major export for trading of products. 

Industrialization
Industry became a big thing after gold had been introduced to the Spanish. To work in the gold mines, they employed the system of repartimientos which consisted of the distribution of the Indians to officials and colonists. They were forced to do labor, but in exchange, the Spaniards were required to pay the Indians for their labor and teach them the Christian religion. Then it led into a world of slavery. Rebellions arose in order to stop the harsh treatment the Taino endured. (New Deal)
Sugar Cane then was introduced to the island in the sixteenth century. At that time, the sugar mill was introduced. Then came the sugar plantations which were pieces of land dedicated to growing sugar cane.  As sugar became a major crop, gold was pronounced depleted. Centuries after, the sugar industry had declined, but not after the times of prosperity. High demands of Puerto Rican sugar in the United States caused a higher production rate. Although, multiple hurricanes, droughts, and plagues had lessened the amount of plantations and productions drastically around the nineteenth century. (Encyclopedia of Puerto Rico)
After the United States had conquered Puerto Rico, the amount of African slaves increased. Next to the sugar industry was the tobacco industry. Tobacco also used plantations and was another high demand in the United States. Though, it wasn't as high of a demand as sugar. (New Deal)


© 2017 Writing.the.Strings


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A great history lesson. You did some wonderful research. You told of slavery and a interesting place. When I was in the service. I knew many Puerto Rican. Good soldiers and hard working people. Thank you sharing the amazing essay. I enjoyed the lesson.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


Writing.the.Strings

7 Years Ago

I agree. Some family members are veterans. And also thank you very much! I, glad you enjoyed it.
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I did enjoy and you re welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 3, 2017
Last Updated on March 6, 2017


Author

Writing.the.Strings
Writing.the.Strings

DC



About
Love to write and read. Violinist; beginner pianist. more..

Writing