A Tide of Pages (Short Story)

A Tide of Pages (Short Story)

A Chapter by Writing.the.Strings

There they sat. The triplets: Joseph, Glenn, and Constance. On top of their kingdom of books. Oh, how they adored reading. Books piled against walls, off of shelves, and scattered across the floor of the study. Any source of reading could be found there.
  As children of parents who worked as researchers of different types of literature, the three found themselves with a new book almost every day. Peers would often tease them about their favorite hobby. Claiming that "reading were for old people," or  "reading should be illegal." However, this did not stop them for it only encouraged them to beg for more reading material.
  Now they sat on top of their book kingdom, where they had formed a small book club. A group of kids joined around, with Joseph shouting a claim.
  "I am the king of all books! All who oppose shall be banished from this study!" Everyone laughed at his ridiculous remark. He stood up high on top of a stack of novels, doing a stance showing his pride. 
  "All hail King Joseph!" The children exclaimed with bursts of laughter. Although Glenn and Constance had a look of worry plastered onto their faces watching as their brother started dancing on the books. 
  "Please do come down from there Joseph," Glenn said, cupping her hands over her mouth to get his attention. Constance nodded in agreement. 
  "Everything is fine," he replied. He continued his dances as the other children clapped. A call from downstairs immediately made each one of them stop and listen.
  "Everyone, dinner is ready!" The call came from the triplets' mother. 
  With excitement, kids rushed out the door of the study. Joseph, however, slipped with a wrong step and fell with a cry.
  Both Glenn and Constance turned around at the doorway at the sound of their brother's small scream and found him lying on the ground with books toppled over him. Constance immediately rushed to his aid. She checked for any scrapes and bruises and broken bones. Joseph winced as Constance's hand had touched his leg and around his shoulder. 
  "Glenn, go fetch father!" She yelled as she attempted to comfort her brother. Glenn immediately rushed down the stairs to tell everyone the news.
  "Don't worry Joseph, everything will be alright."


© 2017 Writing.the.Strings


Author's Note

Writing.the.Strings
Should I make this short story into one full story? As in, make it a separate story?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very good story. With books and kids. Always a opportunity for a story. I like the situation and the surprise ending. Thank you for sharing the entertaining story.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 3, 2017
Last Updated on March 6, 2017


Author

Writing.the.Strings
Writing.the.Strings

DC



About
Love to write and read. Violinist; beginner pianist. more..

Writing