Industrial Revolution Rough Draft (Essay)

Industrial Revolution Rough Draft (Essay)

A Chapter by Writing.the.Strings
"

Unfortunately, my teacher never assigned the final draft

"
During the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries in Great Britain, new inventions and technologies were developed in order to decrease the amount of labor done by hand. People originally worked in agricultural areas, but were forced to move into the cities to work in factories. This resulted in a huge impact on society. Because factory conditions were poor, factory acts were created and caused a shift in economic systems. 

Factories were usually in bad conditions. Workers abused and sometimes forced to lie saying they were treated with care. Long, exhausting work hours limited time to be alone. Confined, polluted spaces which caused health issues and illnesses to spread. John Birley, a former worker of a factory stated "But before we were examined, we were washed and cleaned up and ordered to tell them we liked working at the mill and were well treated." Knowing what the owner and his sons would do, he was forced to lie for his life and out of fear. As for health, Dr.  Ward was doctor who tended to children who were injured or ill. He visited a local factory to experience what health conditions were like. He remarked, "We could not remain ten minutes in the factory without gasping for air." Adults along with children were working in confined spaces while machines were producing debris into the air, causing health issues. Working in factories was a pretty bad experience for most. 

Due to the factory's poor demeanor, factory acts were established in order to decrease work hours and provide education while also keeping watch over factory owners to make sure they were following the law. In the 1833 Factory Act, Parliament had made it clear that children under the age of 13 were not allowed to work and were to be provided an education. A later act revised the idea stating that children ages thirteen through eighteen were to work up to twelve hours. Same law was to apply to women as well. This was the best idea because women and children weren't as strong as men in most cases.

Capitalism occurred at the time the factory acts were established.Capitalism was a concept that said the government was not allowed to take part in any business. Business owners had the authority. Although, people had started going against the idea. Thus, resulted in Socialism and Communism to be introduced. Socialism is the idea that the government would be allowed to make the laws and rules regarding a business. Communism, however, allows the government to take full control of a business. Meaning that they control everything. In Capitalism, the rich seemed to get richer while the poor kept suffering. Many had disagreed to this idea and believed that the government should take part. There was a lot more cooperation when the new economic systems were introduced. 

The Industrial Revolution was a time of technological advancement. However, factories started to cause issues towards the economy, the people, and the government. Factory acts had to be established because the conditions regarding safety of the workers were not suitable. This caused a shift in economic systems. Today, we should be grateful that technology was introduced and we have somewhat safer working conditions. The result of the Industrial Revolution had both positive and negative effects. With technology advancing, working is much easier and we have access to many things as well such as email, telephone, and the Internet. Although, with newer technologies still advancing, there could be a possibility that within a matter of years, technology will cause people to lose their jobs. Resulting in many people to succumb to the life of poverty. We should acknowledge technology, but also watc
h out for it.


© 2017 Writing.the.Strings


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You are correct. When big business control the country. The people will be enslaved.
"We should acknowledge technology, but also watch out for it."
The above lines are great wisdom. Thank you for sharing your amazing thoughts on a interesting topic.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


Writing.the.Strings

7 Years Ago

Thank you. I had done this essay for school in which I enjoyed writing.
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

You did very well and you are welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 3, 2017
Last Updated on March 6, 2017


Author

Writing.the.Strings
Writing.the.Strings

DC



About
Love to write and read. Violinist; beginner pianist. more..

Writing