Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Shep

Prologue


Death is only the beginning of something else for someone like Jeff Mandon. It is a rarity of a life unfulfilled as he suffers and is bound by his own rage, bound without a body as his dreams seem to be endless nightmares. The world cries out too him, but he is unable to grasp it as it sifts like sand between his fingers. His screams echoed as he tries to search for the boy EJ, he left behind as he watched him become a man. A man now burdens with suffering because he was not there to help him or guided him through his life to relieve his suffering or perhaps change his destiny. He cries out. “EJ, forgive me.” The words seemed hollow as they leave his trembling cold lips. “EJ where are you? What have I done?” His mouth tasted of iron as the blood fell upon his dead lips.


Jeff could still smell the discharged of gun powered as he watched the light dim from his eyes, as he lay dead on the rich blue carpet of his room. Jeff at the time was seventeen, his face still held the innocent of a young boy with blond hair, that seemed white when the sun fell upon him. He barely cast a shadow in the world at the time, only being close to seven feet tall.


A High School basketball star when he graduated that following year and had just received his LDS mission call; his parents were so proud as they held a high position in their church with the help of Morgan clearing a straight path to glory and power at their fingertips. What more could they have wanted having Jeff following in his father footsteps? In two years time, Jeff to will be standing by their side basking in the glory and the power, while others kneel before them like dogs begging for scraps at the table.


They couldn’t wait for him to join their crusade helping Morgan rule the world and many like it here and beyond the realm of time. Instead of men, old men that dare to lead in Congress and following a puppet president deep entrenched in Washington, thinking he can lead. No. they need a better man that could rule them all. Setting aside petty arguments and sweep them all aside. Jeff was a blue-eyed beauty, her baby boy, his mother would say as she wept for him holding his dead cold hand as he lays dead his blue silver casket. She mumbled. “He looks so much like his father with that strong chin… Oh why Jeff, Why? You could have had it all.”


He tries to comfort her, but the living can not hear the dead. “Mother it was Morgan. Your colleague, your friend,” but it was no use. The darkness now cold against his skin as he tried to move, but is bound by some unseen force. He heard laughter all around him, it was the sound of Morgan’s voice. “At last it is over and you have lost. How dare you go against our plans? The boy will be mine! And White Solon will never rise.” The words still echoed as the darkness receded and he could move freely. Jeff sits up shaking the last thoughts as he glanced around seeing his body fade like a bad dream. Yet it was not a dream, for he remembers it clearly too the smallest detail. He remembers Morgan walking into his bedroom uninvited as he placed the rifle into his hands. He could still feel the cold harden steel pressed against his head and his finger tightening around the trigger. He turned to ask why. But it was too late as he watched the knob on the door turn and the door open, seeing EJ’s surprised young face for the last time.


Jeff tried to shake the images from his mind for the hundredth time. But it always left him cold as the graveyard where his bones have laid all these years. He looked up from his book he was reading finding Bowden staring at him. His cool blue eyes and raven black hair hung loosely over his broad shoulders.


He was not a big man, an average height of 6 foot even, high cheekbones and smooth lips that smiled from time to time. He was known as a prankster in his younger years, but now a simple librarian of ancient languages and runes. He has been his mentor and teacher going on thirty years and still looked like a man not a day over three hundred in wizard years. It has become his duty to find the missing link that links the boy to the Dark Prince. And the White Solon and the whereabouts of the missing boy EJ as he searches the hidden libraries beyond the looking glass.


Jeff’s anger and rage seemed to linger on beyond the veil of time as he looks for his charge EJ Stuart. For some reason he has lost him in the world he lives in. And it does not help to know that his charge is in danger of losing his life if he can not find him or the connection. According to his good friend Derrick aka member of Death in charge of the human world the boy lives in and that he used to live in before he became EJ’s guardian. Jeff growled impatiently. “EJ where are you? Morgan, what have you done?” Slamming another book of old history closed loud enough to anger his mentor and close friend Bowden as he watched his notes slip to the floor in a messy heap.


In the distance, Morgan stood against a tree near untended graveyard that only the ghost haunts these days. It has been centuries since it has seen an actual person and even longer since Morgan visited this particular graveyard. For in it the buried bones of both his parents Glen and Melee Tremens. The thoughts of his father still anger him. Hess his master was right, he needed to die. But his own brother’s Orayon, Daygan vacant tomb still lay vacant and still elude him after all these years. Yet this was not the reason he was here. Morgan was not here to pay his respects to the dead as they whispered among the graves.


No, he was here to obtain a contract of a young man by the name of Jim Stuart. The boys soon to be a father, according to geological recorders of this time period. Morgan carefully sifted through the pages and notes regarding the place and time Jim would be most vulnerable and willing to give anything to spare his own life. So he meditates in a large circle that he had drawn moments ago with black magic. Using the bones of the dead taken from this graveyard and grounded them into a fine powder. The bones he used had to come from his father and his mother. He licked his lips remembering the very night he sacrificed his mothers very soul upon the black alter centuries ago. The screams still echo in those halls, her warm blood upon his lips as he hungered for power and the glory all those many years ago. Leading to this very moment of time.


Morgan dipped his fingers into the chalices as he drew the remaining runes that will transport him to the place and time indicated by his notes. The air shimmered as he spoke the words. “Ner’na fortune’a say’na  sin’ grayden.” The world around him seemed to dissolve and remake itself. Morgan now stood on a high mountain where things that looked like moving metal is known as cars seemed to move on harden ground.  With a quick glance at his watch that indicates the location is the right place. With his heightened vision, he waits for the moment when Jim Stuart will be his to control.


The time is 3 pm as a truck and its passengers make its way down the mountain road. Jim sitting back against the back of the truck on his way home tired after a long day digging trenches for a new sewer pipe in Spanish Fork Canyon. He just closed his eyes to rest when he felt the truck swerve off the road as the strong cold wind seemed to pick the truck up and push it over the edge. He thought he heard laughter in the wind, but who would be laughing. The truck hit a large boulder on the right side sending him and the two men with him out of the truck. He and the truck rolled down the steep embankment before it burst into flames. Again the laughter grew around him. Jim screamed in pain as the back axle of the truck slammed on top of him pinning his legs. He screamed for help, but there was nobody around him except the man that seemed dead not more than a few feet from him.


The thoughts were of his life, his young life still unfilled now detained because of the Korea War which he will be leaving for in few short months and of his wife Linda flashed in his mind. They had only been married a year ago next Tuesday. At least he thinks was Tuesday it could have been Friday. “Hell. How is man supposed to keep dates in his head? I haven’t even bought her a gift yet. The pain is agonizing.” Jim knew the pain would soon end. He could feel his body growing cold and eyes wanting to close. Yet he kept them open not letting the world leave him behind. Time seemed to pass slowly before he heard voices above him, a man screaming his name as he gripped his arm. It was no use he was so tired he just wanted to rest as the voice kept screaming his name.


“Jim, stay with me, can you hear me?” The voice seemed hollow, as he tried to answer. But his lips would not move. Another voice seemed to reach into his mind. A strange foreboding came over him, it seemed cold yet distant. “I think he’s dead sir,” the man said.  Jim wanted to yell. “No. I am still here,” but he could not seem to get his mouth to move. He thought he heard strange words that sounded more like gibberish more than anything, there was a ringing in his ear so he could not be sure.


Jim was the father of the boy Eric who everyone called EJ the boy destined to be the Dark Prince according to the prophecies, and why Morgan was here in the first place now that Jeff was dead, and the White Solon was no more, the very person who could ruin everything he has spent a lifetime in the making. He was shorter than most men, being no more than 5 feet or a little under, He didn’t have a body of a bodybuilder, and he wasn’t really considered handsome to a woman just an average bald man and who was filled with hate, who had lost his hair long before he was nearly 20.  His mother Doris EJ’s grandmother had said he wasn’t all ways this way, in fact, he was the kindest boy she knew, but something happened soon after his father died and got worst when he when he came home after the Vietnam war.


Morgan waved the man away pretending to take his pulse. “Sir I think your friends dead. Check the rest of them, they might still be alive and need your assistance.” Not that he really cared. He had what he came for as he tries to smile too reassure the man standing over him.

 

Morgan bends down placed his hand on Jim's shoulder and let a little of his power heal him just enough to awaken him as he dulled the pain. He staggered for a moment of its loss as he watched Jim's eyes flutter open. “Oh good, I see you are among the living Jim, try not to move,” he said playing the “Good Samaritan” is really taxing he growled under his breath, but he needs this mans soul. It seemed like hours before the ambulance and rescue workers arrived.


Morgan took his place among the EMT’s and helped them carry Jim up the hill and slid in next to him as they closed the door. He knew Jim would have survived the crush according to the records in the future archives. Despite his help, he would have lived with slight limp in his right leg not bad enough to release him from the draft of another petty war, but he needed Jim to realize the opposite if he was going to take his soul and he needed his firstborn son to stand by him before he could rule the world and the worlds beyond time.


He hated to dispose of Jeff, but he could not stand the interference of his plans taking shape and making sure that Jeff could not become the White Solon with the help of the Council of Light for in the book it stated that White Solon was the only person that could stop him from becoming Lord and King of all the worlds here and beyond the stars. Jeff needed to be removed, before he became into power, and with his constant interference stopped for good for his plan of total domination things could go as planned all he needed was the boy, Jim's firstborn to take his place by his side as the Dark Prince the one could lead him to the prize and the only that could gather the 5 keys to open the door of prophecy that would give him the power of the gods to rule. “Yes, the prize and the power will be mine as it should be and promised all those centuries ago, by my master Hess.”


As they rode Morgan pretends to monitor the equipment and Jim as he reached inside his mind, and moved his lips as if he was talking to him. Before long he had what he came for as he placed Jim bloody thumb on the document as they entered the Payson Hospital and placing Jim into a deep sleep and vanished back to his realm to wait until the boy prince was born, so he could guide him.


He hated the fact he couldn’t interfere with time, and free agency. Not even the gods above had that kind of power, but he could move people and influence them to a certain point, but even that... there were consequences, providing if he was caught, and he had no intention of being caught. He smiled as he remembers how each person that has tried to stop him has died by his own hands. More so the idiots that belong to the Council of Light, which he intends to destroy once and for all; checking them off his list one at a time, until there would be no one left to resist him, just like his father Glen and his mother Melee and soon his two brothers Orayon, Daygan.


Jim's head hurt from all the small details the EMT that rode with him to the hospital. Something about his son being chosen to be a Dark Prince… “Please. That can’t be right. I don’t even have a son.” There were no Queens are Kings in his family tree that he knew of,” but it still left him cold just thinking about it. “What a strange man, I really must be out of it to believe this nonsense,” he mumbled as he turned to the nurse. “Is my wife here yet? If so… tell her … I am sorry.” Jim slipped back into a deep cold sleep, something seemed to be wrong and broken inside as if he was missing a part of something important.


Linda held his hand asking him. “Sorry for what Jim? Jim,” with no response she watched his eyes close.  She thought she heard laughter in the room, but no one but her was there. “Strange?” The nurse came in handing Jim's personal items. Car keys, his wallet, and scuffed up shoes with a letter stuffed inside. Her eyes widen as she noticed it was a government letter. Linda’s hands shook as she reopens the letter. Inside was a draft notice for her husband to be transferred to American Air Force base in Salt Lake City Utah. Dated February 21, 1966, and. Tears stung her eyes as she looked at Jim sleeping in the hospital bed. She could not bear the thought of losing him in North Korea. She hasn’t even told him she was pregnant and had planned to on their first Wedding Anniversary next Wednesday. “Please Jim, please don’t leave me.” She cried holding his hand.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

There's a lot going on here, and I have to admit it's hard to know what's going on at times. I'm personally not very good at reading or writing prose. Whose POV is this? Jeff, Morgan, or Jim? Is this story going to be told from the POVs of these three people by a narrator? (If so, it's better to separate them somehow) Is this fantasy? Is this about something supernatural? Ghosts and all that? Those are the questions I find myself asking while reading this.

With all that being said, Morgan sounds like a sneaky person who would become the antagonist of the story. Bloody thumbprints and signatures are very different, and I would personally not accept documents "signed" by thumbprints.

There are also missing commas and apostrophes, which can easily be fixed by a copy editor.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

Thanks for the review . to answer your question this a fantasy series and yes Morgan is a really ba.. read more
Intriguing beginning, quite a lot going on. It seems sort of unfair to get a contract signed while a guy is fading in and out of consciousness. But I suppose Morgan isn't a very nice guy and doesn't care about fairness. In all honesty, I always read everything I sign very thoroughly, just in case the deceiver tries to slip something in.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

Thanks You... Morgan isn't a very nice guy at all he worse.
All the same, this prologue had me on from the first sentence. My brother-in-law was raised Mormon, so i know a thing or two about this.
Let's read on shall we?

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

Yes pleases do for the journey awaits my dear friend.
I can say I am not sure which way this story will turn at this point. As i stare beyond the looking glass I must turn the page to see.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Shep

5 Years Ago

thats what i am hoping

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 10, 2019
Last Updated on January 16, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep