Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 5


Pa and the boys finishing their morning chores, the woman in the house cleaning up the morning prep for the day. The boys headed back to work on the house in the back, but not before Aunty M comes out. “Wayne, boys not so fast,” she said giving them a stern look and then putting her foot down. “We need to go to town boys; we have business to be done there.” Aunty M said taking the hammer out Wayne's hand and setting it on a workbench with the boy’s belts, “you are not ready yet.” She said pushing them towards the front of the house, “march boys, single file, 'git' hopping,” she replied with her right behind them.

Aunty M pulled out her white handkerchief from her purse and waves it in the air. Yells for the girls, “Martha, girls let’s go, we're burning daylight, now get out here.” Then mutters to herself, “Where are those boys?” Then putting her two fingers two her mouth, a loud shriller whistle is heard. The boys cover their ears and stare at her, watching her wave again her handkerchief in the air wildly. A cloud of dust in the distance can be seen up the road, carriages of a small horse and little tiny buggies pulling into the farm. “Now that's more like it,” she said giving them each a stern look.

“Sorry Aunty M,” the men replied.

“That's alright boys,” she said waiting for Martha and the girls to come out of the house, 

“We all are little slow this morning, must have been all that celebration last night I guess,” she said as smiles back at them as they all laughed.

“Yes Ma’am,” Martha, Wayne, Richard, and the children could not believe their eyes seeing the miniature horses and buggies right in front of the house. “Aunty M I thought ya said we were going to town?” Martha replied.

“We are Wayne, Martha, children... we are.” 

The boys helped them into the buggies with Aunty M in the lead. Everyone had a driver of course except Aunty M; she'd preferred driving hers herself. “Come on Wayne, Martha you ride up here with me… the children will be fine,” she said looking back at them smiling laughing. “Shall we?” She said putting on her riding gloves and tightening down her hat.  She smiles at Wayne, “hold on tight dear,” she said laughing with a flick of the wrist the miniature horses come to life with a hard start and jumping, leaving the front the house, then they started to gallop, everyone hanging on tight as they go past the house and down the road few paces.

Martha hanging on to Wayne laughing like a schoolgirl in his arms as they headed down towards the field. The children right behind them in their own buggy laughing having the time of their lives, waving at the people as they go by them. 

Things have changed since last night. Tents have sprung up everywhere all around them like a little village square. Robert and Will laughed pointing to a sign nailed to a post. Pointing this way to Downing Villa Squire, This way to Downing Villa Market, this way to Downing Villa Business, this way to Downing Sheriff's office and Post office, this way to Downing Chapel Drive.....

The children could not believe their eyes nor could their parents as they turn around the bend following Aunty M down the little street, that use to be their hay field just days ago. Just yesterday they held a picnic here and danced the night away.

Turning left then a right following the signs the Downings and children eyes filled with adventure as they gazed along the little shops in a row selling their wears. There were rug wavers with looms making rugs hard at work. And smithy making metal works and tools, horseshoes and wagon wheels; Carpenters and painters and dressmakers and such, candy makers, toy makers, pots and pans of all sorts and size and different kettles, gizmos and gadgets of this that, spinners of cotton for cloth, guns and new rifles for hunting pelts hanging furs of all kinds. Other little stores would soon be added. Coffee beans of fresh or ground as Aunty M took a long pause, someone tossed her a bag. She waved, “thanks” with a nod of her head. Wayne laughed Martha jabs him with her elbow as he smiled.

Aunty M makes another right turning down Downing Market Street. Find more little shops of fresh vegetable stands and fruit stands of different types. Some Martha has seen, some she never heard of. Aunty M pointed. “Dear, give it try.” Martha made a face at yellow spinaches or a strange looking piece of fruit as Aunty M smiles. 

Meat markets and dry meats, fish shops, spices shops of all kinds, the arums were heavenly going by that one; soaps and waxes, fresh honey and jams, jelly preserves. You name it you could mostly find it down there on Downing Market. Because more stores would change or be added. Aunty M made another left around the next block, a sign pointing Downing Villa Business, Doc's office across the way with a Dentist office beside it.

On the other side of the street; Stringum Hardware and Goods and the Mayor and Judges Office next to it, further down the lane the Post office and Downing Sheriffs office soon to be open. On the corner, a bakery and little café were still in the process of being set up. 

Aunty M pulled up to Stringum Hardware and Goods, "woo.” The men helped her, Martha and Wayne out of the buggy. “Thanks, boys, Martha…. me and Wayne have some business to attend to here. Why don't you the children here go and explore a bit,” she said grabbing Wayne's arm, “will see all ya'll about an hour,” she replied and left them standing there.

The driver helped Martha into the buggy with the children begging her, “please Ma there's lots to see,” they all said looking all around them, excited at all the possibility that could await them. Ma looked back towards her husband he looks back puzzled, as Aunty M drags him along inside the large tent of Stringum Hardware and Goods. Martha shrugged her shoulders “alright kids why not, let’s go have some fun,” she said.


* * *


Aunty M walked into the tent, “hello boys” as she waves...

“Hello,” they replied; Aunty M pulled up a stool around the table 

“Scott you know how I like it neat and black,” she said.

“Yes, Ma’am.” Pouring her a hot cup fresh Joe. 

Aunty M taking a sip; “ahhhhh that's better.”  Aunty M said looked over at Wayne still standing “sit boy,” she said pulling his arm down grabbed a stool for him next to her, “I believe ya know everyone here,” she said as Wayne nods. Scott “(Mr. Stringum),” Brad “(Judge Parker)” Gus “(the Payson Mayor)” and of course Doc Hatfield.

“Now then boys let’s get down to brass tacks shall we?” Aunty M said unfolding a map across the table Wayne could see his farm and his property and the area around it.  He looked at them with bewilderment; Aunty M pays him no mind.

“The lumber arrived last night Margaret,” Brad said as he points at the location where it is placed and stored.

“Good how we doing on finding this poor boy some help, I want strong young lads now,” Aunty M replied squeezing Wayne's arms.

“That's being posted as we speak and Doc's Hatfield and Whitmore or checking them out before they send them over to you,” Brad said.

“Good and everything else?” Margaret asked looking at the map.

“Just like you requested, trade routes are being established and looks like we're going have t’a clear this here field as well,” Stringum replied.

Margaret points her finger, to a spot on the map, “and builds another barn to over here.” She said taking another sip of Joe and wiping her mouth with her sleeve.

“Yes Ma’am, our thoughts exactly,” the men replied.

Aunty M asks Wayne. “What do you think Wayne?” She asked as she slaps him on the back knocking the wind right out of him. “Speak up boy,” she said “Cat got you are tongue man,” Wayne nods as she laughed. “Gus, what was the last count at?” She asked.

“300 hundred best guess and more are still coming,” he said.

“Good, need lot's young bucks I think, there's plenty work to be done around here. Don't ya think Wayne?” slapping him on the back not as hard this time so he can get his second wind. Aunty M pulled a tissue out of her purse dots her eye, “Mike would have loved to seen this, that old fool. Yes, sir make sure you have look Doc, every last one of them he would have wanted that,” she said dotting her eye.

“Yes Ma’am,” he replied.

“Wayne I noticed there is not a single cow on your farm, not a one shame on you. Scott, I want two of them, those boys need fresh milk, they have a baby on the way,” she said giving Wayne a stern face. “Strong bones and meat for those muscles is what those boys need and more. Martha just not giving them enough… we need something stick to those ribs,” she said as she jabs Wayne in the ribs with her finger.  “One those boys a scrawny little fella got our work cut out for that one. Can't get him out of the starting gate,” she said shaking her head.

Doc Hatfield said. “I think I might know where to get couple cows for ya. I'll have them to ya by the end of the day,” Doc replied. 

“Thanks, Doc,” she said.

Aunty M finished her cup of Joe, wiping her mouth with the back of her sleeve, “ahha just what I needed. Nice job boys, a little slow this morning all and all, but all considering good work,” She said to them with a smile and just a nod of her head.

“Oh Scott, I need this filled.” Aunty M said before going pulling the list out of her pocket, 

“Just drop it by the house, thanks boys,” she said…” Well?” Pulling Wayne off the stool, “let's get cracking finds those children of yours,” she replied and shoves him towards the door. Wayne looked back at the boys in the tent they just smile and wave as Aunty M grabs his arm. “Come on boy were burning daylight,” she replied looking at the sky as the man opens the door to the buggy for them.


* * *


Ma and the children headed back down Downing Villa Market to look at all the different shops, the driver hands them each a small basket to carry. They see vendors selling their goods passing them with eyes wide of homemade trinkets, quilts, rugs for the floor, pots and pans and different size kettles they never have seen before. They stopped and looked at the arts and crafts and paintings to hang on a tent wall. Woodworking that catches Roberts and Wills eye and then the little toy store for Sam and Danny. 

This place was a magical wonderland of sorts. Around the corner a flower shop with all types of roses, daisy, and daffodils. The girls stop to smell the flowers and feel the soft petals of the flowers. A woman and young lass give each girl a flower to wear in their hair. The girls give him a peck on the cheek thanks him batting their eyes at him. Their brothers just rolled their eyes and laughed at their sister's foolishness. Ma smiles thanking the woman and the boy for there kindness as they give her a red rose.

They find the candy shop picking up some penny candy and some homemade salt taffy and string on the line of long red and black lickerish whips. “Look Ma?” the boys looked down the street four tents, down Rena and her boys are just setting up a shop. They wave and run and greet them “Hello, Frank, Mark watcha doing?” Robert and Will asked.

“Helping our Ma set up shop to sell kitenge gowns and sandals,” Frank replied.

“Neat, we love ours, their really cool,” Will replied. Rena gives each of the boys a pair of sandals. Within seconds the boys were sitting on the ground undoing their laces and pulling off their shoes, tossing their socks and shoes into the buggy, slipping the sandals on their feet. Ma and Rena laughed, Richard, cracking up as he placed his sandals in his baskets for later.

“We make little extra money, it comes in handy now then,” Rena whispering in Martha's ear, watching her silly boy's try to walking in sandals and spin just like Frank and Mark. “Can't wait to try it with the kitenge?” Will said trying to spin around, almost falling, tripping over his own two feet, the kids smiling laughing when Aunty M pulled up. 

“Look Pa?” Showing them their new sandals and things they found so far.

“Looks like you've been having fun,” Pa replied.

“Yes Pa tons,” the children said.

“Hello boys, Rena things going well for ya?” Wayne asked

“Yes, Wayne.”

“I'm glad, say why don't you and your boy's come by the house, we love to see ya fact will set a place for you for super,” The boys jumped up and down with excitement.

“That's wonderful idea Rena my husband and I would love it if you and boys come. Your husband can tell us some more about you and your country and the boys can play get to know each other better,” Martha said.

“Well see,” she replied.

“Oh, Ma can we?” Frank asked.

“Alright, but let’s get set up first.”

“Thanks, Ma,” Frank said.

“Alright, children we have one more stop to make before we head back to the farm.” Aunty M replied.

“Yes Aunty M,” with a sigh.” Children getting back into the buggies waved goodbye to Rena and the boys. Aunty M in the lead making a left then a right for a sign that says Downing Chapel Drive, pulled in front of a tent, "woo.” In front of an empty lot. Mary and Lizzy come out of the tent. “Alright children front and center,” Aunty M said lining them up, “now then I want you to meet your new school teacher Lizzy children.” Aunty M said as she looked at the empty lot, “they tell me that your school should be up in a couple of days and your books and supplies have been ordered and are on their way Lizzy.” She replied taking it all in. 

“These are your students, some of them anyway. The Doc's are still putting together a list of children. Mary here will give it to you soon since she will be making the rounds with the Doc's.” Aunty M walks behind Julie, “and this Lizzy is your assistant.” She said Julie looks at her dumbfounded “Oh,” Aunty M slapping her head, “It must have slipped my mind. Sorry dear age dear, oh well, anyway you'll do just fine. Besides your mother can't do everything, of course, she'll be helping, but there’s no way she can be full-time school teacher and mother and have a baby with everything else going on, no sir,” she said.

“I know school doesn't start for couple more weeks but doesn't hurt to get a leg up I always say, especially for these little ones,” patting Sam and Danny on the head. “Now then children we really need to get back and stop all this lolly gagan, we have work to do ya know.” She said pointing the children back to the buggies heads bowed. Ma and Wayne almost feeling sorry for them watching summer coming to end give a little sigh, helps them back in. Aunty M watching, whispered to Wayne and Martha, “they'll be alright,” she said smiling pokes them in the ribs and gives the driver a nod and whisper. “Yes, Ma’am.” As they headed back to the farm, they wait until they reached the open road.


© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on February 12, 2019
Last Updated on January 17, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep