Chapter 2-1

Chapter 2-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 2-1



Mary rang the bell for lunch for everyone to come back into the house. The girls just finished putting the food on the table, also putting some food away in the fridge for Wayne when he wakes up from his long morning nap. “Alright everyone,” Mary said as she stands as they are seated. "The four of us Julie, Anna, Lizzy and I are going to go to the store to get some supplies from town. While the rest of you stay here and keep an eye on the farm while we're gone.”


Mary turned to the boys putting her hand on her hips. “Richard your mother as left us in larch again,” she said as she rolled her eyes. “That means that we are leaving Sam and Danny with you, Richard.”


Richard smiles and rubbed the two boy’s heads. “Well have lots fun won’t we boys?” As he picked each one up and they squeal with laughter.


“That means,” shaking her fingers at Dona and Peggy. “You girls are with Loraine; she will be watching the both of you closely. And oh yes, I’m leaving a list of things for you two to do to keep you out of trouble and out of Martha’s hair while we are gone,” she replied. “Robert, Will your mother has things for you two to do after lunch.”


“Yes ma’am,” they replied.


Steve eyes the door. “Not so fast Steve,” both sisters taping their foot on the ground. “We need you and the boys after they get done with whatever their mother needs them to do. Go up and get these things from the drugs store and stop at Stringum’s, since we can’t get these where we are going.”  Handing Steve a list, Steve trying very hard not to smile nods his head trying not to look disappointed because that’s where he needed to go in the first place… they just didn’t know it, at least he didn’t think so anyway.


“Yes ma’am,” he replied putting the list in his pocket.


“Now then everyone has their assignments for the day.” She said trying very hard not to sound cross with Betty missing... again. “W
hat is she up to now?” As she grinds her teeth. “Good now let’s finish up we have lots to do and time is running short,”  Mary said still steaming. “When I get my hands on my sister… ooh,” clinching her fist tight. Steve, Richard grinning ear to ear thinking what was in store and what their mother has done. Lizzy gives Steve and Richard a hard glance watching their smile disappear. If she only knew part of the plan she problem kill them both.


Martha down the hall with EJ taking the trays back into the kitchen seeing everyone around the table Mary walked over to her. “Martha just leave it there dear, as you can see everything’s fine.” Martha sighed and walked back down the hall mumbling. “There’s nothing like feeling useless like a tired old sock,” Martha said as she sits back in the chair watching EJ resting comfortable, feeling the note that Grandma left her. She reads:


“I know just how you feel dear; now take a deep breath; that’s better.  I want you to follow these instructions…. In two days and then chop down those trees dear,"


Martha reads the rest of the note then smiles and laughed looking towards the door, “yes Grandma." She whispered. "Timber” folds the note back into her pocket. Martha leaned over whispers in EJ’s ear. “Grandma got a few tricks of her own dear and so do I” and kissed his cheek while he slept...


“Ma you wanted to see us?” Robert asked.


“Yes, boys,” watching EJ sleeping getting up from the chair. “Let’s walk outside for a minute. I need some fresh air.” She said closing the door behind them so they don’t disturb him. “I have a problem,” putting her arm around her two boys as they walked outside breathing in the fresh air that always seemed to relax her. “I have a problem that only you can solve." She said, "EJ's got to get out that bed tomorrow or the next no later according to the Doctor.”


“Yes, Ma we know that,” Robert said.


“But the thing is boys… I do say this. We can’t play Indian’s this time. Sure he can wear a sheet around the house I don’t care, but it’s not practical is it?” She asked.


“No Ma,” Will said.


“He can’t leave the house wearing a sheet either,” she said.


“It’s that dress Ma isn’t?” Robert asked.


Ma nods. “Yes, boys.”


“None of us care about that, he can wear it all he wants, who cares about that?” They asked.


“He does is the problem, he won’t wear it and he needs to so he can get better,” she said.


“Ma you want us to wear one don’t you? And you think he might.” Will said and Robert swallowed hard.


Robert said. “Well it can’t be any worse than being an Indians and going through all that again,” and Will laughed.


“Thanks, boys, I’ll get the material and start making them so you boys can wear them for the annual picnic,” she said.


Will and Robert nearly turned white right then and there. “Ma I thought you meant just on the farm?” Robert asked.


“Boys, what difference does it make where you wore them?”

Robert and Will swallowed and nearly fainted and stumbled, thinking about all the people that would see them in a dress from school.  “Ma, a simple framer or Indian is one thing, but a dress is completely something totally different,” Will said.


Ma could see the worry look in their faces. “Tell you what. I’ll make them and let you get used to them first, will take one step at a time,” she said.


The boys relieved they agreed. “Ma, just on the farm for now,” Robert said Ma sighed and nods her head.


“Now then why don’t you go in there show EJ you are willing to put that Kitenge gown on.  I’ll come in take some measurements before they leave for town,” she said.


“Yes Ma,” they replied.


Ma watched her two boys go back into the house as she smiled. “What wonderful silly boys I have.” Walking into the kitchen Mary and Lizzy were just finishing the list, Martha picked up the list going over it making couple changes and adding couple more things to it. “Mary while you are in town I need some fabric, do think you can find the same material that the gown EJ has?” She asked.


“I guess so why?” She replied.


“Oh just need to make more gowns for the boys and an extra one for EJ to wear that’s all,” she said.  Marry eyes popped right out of her head. “Just send Julie down to the room before you leave, so I can tell you how much I need,”  Martha said poured herself a glass of milk a walked down the hall back to the room.


“EJ what do think?” Robert said as he spins around in the Kitenge gown. EJ laughed holding his chest. The gown not even covering Roberts' knees, showing off his boxer shorts as he spins. Martha smiles as she enters the room laughing to herself at the sight. 
“Ma, EJ doesn’t believe us,” Robert replied.


“It true EJ they said if you had to wear one they would. It was their idea right boys?” Ma said as she winked back. “Now let’s get you measured Robert hold still,” she said.


“Hey Ma that tickles,” Ma wrote down the measurements for him. Then helped him off with the gown and helped Will put it on and watch him spin for a couple of minutes. EJ and Robert were busting a gut when he nearly fell on the ground.


Julie walked in the room seeing Will in the gown just grins spins him around a couple more times; EJ holding his sides because they hurt so much from laughing so hard. “Ma three brothers in nice gowns, I’m not sure I like that they are prettier than mine. It makes them look too handsome and all the girls would snatch my brothers from me. I’d have to fight them off with a stick,” she said as she winked back at Ma.


Ma chuckled. “They do look handsome in them, don’t they? I must say.”  Ma said finishing measuring and helps Will off with the gown and Julie hangs it back up.


“Alright, boys that’s should do it.” Julie and Ma gave each one a kiss on the cheek and whispered. “Thank you,” in their ear. The boy’s finished dressing and visiting with EJ. Ma walked down the hall to send everyone off.


EJ still laughed at Robert and Will still cracking up over the dress. “See EJ that wasn’t so bad now was it?” Robert asked.


“Ya, that easy out here on the farm, but out there where everyone will see ya, I don’t know Robert,” he said.


“Hey, that’s what brothers are for.” Will putting an arm around Robert and EJ. “ We will just show them we just don’t care, that’s all.” Trying not to show fear in their faces on how they really felt themselves.  “Wish you were coming with us, but I don’t think you can only wearing a sheet in town and it wouldn’t be such a good idea,” Will laughed. “And Ma would kill us if you left that bed right now anyway,” Will said.


Ma walked in the room overhearing the boys. “You got that right boy's,” shaking her fingers at them. “Steve’s waiting for you outside,” she replied.


EJ sighed. “I know, two days or least one more anyway,” as Ma tucked the sheet back around his waist. “Just wish I had something to do that’s all,” he replied.


Robert chuckled. “Is that all?” Pulling out the box from underneath the bed lays a tray across him. Will props him up in bed. Gives him his pocketknife and sets up his blocks and his new wooden toy horses and his soap and waxes.


EJ smiles and Ma laughed. “thanks boy’s, I think I got it from here,” and waves them on down the hall.



* * *

 


Everyone was gone except for a few on the farm it seemed kinda of empty and quiet with Wayne asleep with do not disturber until 2 pm to let him sleep with a note tacked on the door. Loraine was busy with girls with some housework and chores sweeping, scrubbing floors of the house while she herself did some baking of cookies and pies in the kitchen while keeping an eye inside the house. Richard played with Sam and Danny all afternoon outside around the farm.


It gave Ma plenty of time sit and stew about that dress and the boy’s while watching EJ whittle away with a horse and his blocks. “Oh, this silly sitting here looking at this dress,” putting down the needle and thread. “I’ll just call her. EJ you stay in that bed, “shaking her finger at him.


EJ smiles looked up for his whittling. “Ma, and go where Ma?” He asked.


She smiled. “Nowhere, just making sure son,” kissed his cheek tucking the sheet around him. Ma walked down the hall to the kitchen to the phone. “Now where did I put her number?”


“Hello, Mrs. Whitmore. This is Mrs. Downing we meet the other day at the hospital.”


“Yes….. I remember the boy with the fever.” Mrs., Whitmore replies.

“That’s one,” Martha replied


“Oh please call me Rena.”


“Alright, you call me…. Martha… anyway, I have problem…  Oh, you do… I see… Yes, boys do seem to have that problem silly really… Me too at first… You do this all the time… I see; got any suggestions on how we should … sure … Come on over that would mean so much … Yes here’s the address… Yes, alright thanks a lot … Bye now…”


Martha hung up the phone smiling. “That’s better,” looking towards the bedroom. Maybe if they see for themselves their not in it alone they can do it.  Martha gazed over at Loraine in the kitchen as she went by. “Better plan on extra for dinner tonight dear, we have more guests coming and most of them are wearing that dress just like EJ’s,” and smiles and breaks into a chuckle back down the hall.


Loraine watched her go. “There are more of them? Oh my,” and rolled her eyes makes the tea stronger for herself.



* * *

 


The boys pulled up to Stringum Hardware on main and walked into the store. “Hello Mr. Stringum, Dave,” Robert said. 


Where’s your Pa?” Mr. Stringum asked as he looks outside not seeing the pickup? Closes the door behind them and walks around the counter taking a pad and a pencil from the front of his apron pocket.


Mr. Dave Stringum a man that always stood what was right and one of the few men in today’s world that understood farmers in how to judge a man by his deeds and how he treats his family. Even thou he prides himself of being the one to put Santaquin on the map, selling the best-traded goods he can find homegrown and bought. He loved to gossip according to his wife who been dead two years gone from lung cancer. He was a man everyone counted on when they needed something done or built.


He had just turned sixty-five this past spring, his dark brown hair starting to gray and he still seemed nimble with an average height of six feet. Brown eyes and a handsome square jaw that still made a woman quiver when he whispers in their ears. Despite most of his teeth were man-made as his white teeth glistened as gave each person a wink when he did something on the sly.


“Oh he’s back at farm sleeping; he had a late night last night with EJ and need some rest,” Robert said.


“I see” Mr. Stringum replied.


This is his Uncle Steve; we just need some supplies,” and handing him a list.


“Dave, can you fill this for these boys?” Mr. Stringum asked.


“Yes sir,” Dave said. Dave was a young kid fresh out of college in his early twenties. With a solid build from carrying heavy items and used to hard work hauling supplies all over town. He stood at the average height of five feet nine inches, Blue eyes, and yellow curly hair. Dressed in a nice pair of workman overalls and a white tee shirt that showed of his strong muscular arms; the girls that noticed him would all lick their lips moaning with deep satisfying pleasure as he carried out their order. With apron that said Stringum Hardware and Goods painted on the front.


Steve steps up to the counter. “Mr. Stringum, do you know a woman named Margaret Cotwellar?” Steve asked.


That got his attention. “Why yes I do a matter of fact, come to think of it where did I put that letter? Here it is. This letter came by just yesterday said I was supposed… yes, now I remember,” Mr. Stringum said looking over at Will and Robert scratching his chin whispered in his ear. “Do they know?” Steve shakes his head no.


“Humm I see, Will, Robert I have some errands that need to be run. Do you think your boys can do them for me? You see I can’t seem to tear myself away from the store. Dave here is kinda busy with everything else. I’ll pay you boy’s five-dollars each and a suck full penny candy,” Stringum said.


Robert and Wills eyes go wide. “Five-dollars and penny candy? Sure Mr. Stringum.”


“Alright when Dave comes in he’ll fill the orders and I want you boys to deliver the items to these address, I have bikes in the back. Steve and I will be awhile ok boys, alright then.”  Steve laughed seeing their excitement as Stringum gives them each a hat and apron to wear. “That should keep them busy for a while,” he said as they both laughed. Mr. Stringum walked over to Dave leaves him in charge of the store as two them go into the back of the store into his small office.


“So, Margaret wants to build them a house to thank them for all their help in a nutshell.” Mr. Stringum replies taking a seat behind the desk as the chair squeaked.


“Yes the lumber was just setting there and Mike died left most of to Betty, she thought what the heck why not?” Steve said taking a chair and scooting forward.


“I like it, its tall order; have any idea how you are going get it built by next spring?” He asked.


“Not a clue. Margaret said you would have an idea.”


Mr. Stringum sits leaned back on his chair nearly falls out of it then lets out a whistle. “Son look around the room do know where you are?” He asked.


“No, sir.”


Mr. Stringum chuckled. “Look around, what do you see,” he asked. pointing to all the pictures of farms and farmers.


“Farms sir.”


“That’s right; you just leave that up to me and let’s draw up those plans.” They drew and re-figured and drew some more. Until they come up with something that resembles something that both Wayne, Martha and their children would fall in love with. “That’s should do it I think,” Stringum said seeing the boys out front and patted him on the back. “Now keep it under your hat son,” Mr. Stringum chuckled. “Oh, and think simple farmers because that’s we all are really,” winked back at him. “l'll call the order in and start spreading the word.”


Steve was taken back a little. “What word? What word? Mr. Stringum,” but he already closed the door and was already on the phone. Dave hands the boys each a five dollar bill from the till and filled a bag each of penny candy tells them to keep the aprons and the hat for next time they needed help.


Steve with a smile on his face puts his arm around the boys. “Did you have fun?” He asked.


“Yes sir,” they replied.


“Well let’s go to the drugs store head back to the farm.”



* * *

 


Mr. Stringum was on the phone spreading the word alright; it spread like wildfire. “Holding the biggest framers picnic in the county for details see Stringum and Doc Hatfield for details.


Posters were plastered all over the county. “That’s right we’re holding biggest picnic ever seen in the entire county in these parts.”


“Of course, yes bring them all. It’s going to be a humdinger I hear; going to last for weeks.”


“I’m going. I’m bringing my whole family and my sisters and her cousins, and her cousins.”


“Yes, their going be a preacher there why wouldn’t there be?”


“Yes bring them too and all the kids, all your son and your daughter’s; heck bring them all even if you are not sure who’s kids they are, load them in the wagons,” and the news went on.





© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have to be honest. I'm not sure what is happening and why. There are so many people and names. I don't know how these people are related to the characters in the prologue either, and I am kind of wishing the pacing is sped up a little bit.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

Thank you for your review

Stick with it and it will all make sense. and yes there are.. read more
Oooh, if this were a barn, it would be a barn raising! Are there house raisings? I guess so, they are about to have one. I'm still having trouble with how everyone is related. Maybe a chapter with a family tree or index with names and relationships would help? This really is a lot of people to keep track of. I love the name Stringum. That's the fun part of writing, finding good names for everyone.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

Thank you... Yes a lot names i need a que card some times but i do manage.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 10, 2019
Last Updated on January 16, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep