Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 4


Early morning rises, Martha back in the kitchen making breakfast; pancakes and with fried eggs and bacon, whipping hot butter biscuits from the oven. “Mmm, mmm” she was cooking up a storm this morning, it was a happy storm. “Morning girls, mind setting the table?” As Anna walked in with the two girls into the kitchen.


“Where’s the aunts?” Anna asked.


“Oh they're still asleep,” Ma replied as she smiles.


“Morning boys,” Ma replied as they walked in soon after.


“Good morning Ma, ma’am.”


“You boys can bring EJ in here for breakfast if you like just set him on the couch for now,” she said,


“Yes, Ma.”


“Just be careful I want him to take it slow.” The boys helped EJ with his one crutch under his arm and helped with the other on the sides so he doesn’t fall. EJ smiles as he passes Ma she bends down kisses his head, “now take slow,” she said.


“I will Ma, I promise,” trying not to make any painful faces as he hobbles by to the couch.


Sam and Danny laughing raced through kitchen nearly knocking Ma over with Julie right behind them. “Come on you silly boys time for your bath.”  Ma chuckled catching both their little hands then handing them both to Julie. “Thanks, Ma,” Julie said taking them back down the hall pass Pa and Steve as they rubbed their heads.


“Yep you got love bath time Wayne,” Steve laughed.


“Morning dear, Steve breakfast will be ready soon. How that milk work for your wife last night Steve?” She asked.


“Like a charm, she went out like light,” he said standing in the doorway of the kitchen happy to have shoes again.


“I’m glad.”


“I see you been busy yourself,” Steve said seeing her busy in the kitchen and looking at EJ on the couch. “Yes sir looks like its going to be a fine day,” he said.


“Everything all set Steve?” She asked.


“Yep, just tying up some loose ends,” Glancing at Peggy and Donna then winked at Martha.


“Good.”


“How about you?” He asked.


“Chopping as you speak.” She said carrying the platter of hotcakes to the table.


Wayne noticed and wondered what they were up to. “Did I miss something in translation somewhere?" He asked. “Martha, you are up to something aren’t you?” He said looking her straight in the eye.


Wayne dear, how could that be possible? I have been watched every day, when would I had a chance to be up to something?”


“Oh just a feeling that’s all,” he said.  Martha leaned over and reaches up kisses his cheek.


“Mind waking up the aunts and tell them breakfast almost ready, dear? I want to get those gowns made for the boys sometime today,” she said.


Steve had to see the fireworks on this one and followed Wayne down the hall. “Wayne let me,” Steve said opening the door to his wife room, giving her quick nudge. “The kitchen is on fire,” stands back watching her eyes pop open, running down the hall towards the kitchen.


“That was quick,”
Wayne said watching and breaks out laughing.


“Yea it was, Oh now I’m dead,” as he grinned.” Seeing her head take a second look at Martha than turning around,


“Yep Steve, you are dead.”


“Your turn,” Steve said.


Wayne knocks on the door then opens and yelled: “Their escaping, running down the road quickly.”  Wayne stands back watching them jumping out of bed then run out of the room towards the door after the girls by passing the kitchen, stopping in mid-air seeing the girls and Martha in the kitchen safe and sound.


“Yep you are dead too,” Steve said and laughed.


“If I were us, I would run before they make it back down the hall,” Steve replied.


The three women seeing them in their sights; “Wayne, Steve?” They yelled.   All they could do was watch the two go out the backdoor laughing for now anyway. Martha seeing Steve and Wayne coming around through the front door gave them a hard look, trying to be mad placed her hands on her hips then cracks a smile shaking her fingers at them.


Things were returning back to normal on the farm, at last, just cramped that’s all. Fun was returning to the farm of everyday life was kicking back into swing or was it.  Looking down the road Wayne watched the lights and wires being strung a half mile and new, water lines being put in.  Something just didn’t feel right.  Ma on the pouch with the aunt’s helping sewing the new Kitenge gowns for the boys to wear. Sam and Danny played in the yard, the boys or out doing the chores. While EJ whittled in the corner of the house; things were running smoothly.


Steve put his arm around 
Wayne. “Wayne walk with me for few minutes,” as they headed out to the car. Steve opened the trunk to his car and pulled out a blueprint of the new house that he and Stringum drew up the other day. “While you were sleeping, just fooling around a bit,” he said showing the plan for the new house. “Tell me what you think about this?” Rolling it out for him to see it on the back of the trunk...


“Man Steve,”
Wayne said looking at the house on the plans, scratching his head. “It’s a big one that’s for sure.”


“Well, what if I told you that it was your new house. What kinda changes would you make?” Steve asked.


“You’re joking right?” 
Wayne asked looking at plans Steve waited for a response.  “Your not, are you?” He asked again.


“Nope,” Steve said Steve whistling in the air.  Walking away leaving him standing there smiling with a pat on the back.


Wayne looked at the plans and looked back at his house. “Steve there’s no way it can be done by spring, no way,” he said.


Wayne you keep telling me that, but somebody said it could. Guess what? The lumber is on its way.” Steve said hands him the receipt and the bill of sale to prove it.  Wayne fell to his knees. “That’s right, you have work to do, so if you want to make any changes, now’s the time to do it,” he said.


Wayne rolled up the plans speechless went over to Martha gives her kiss and whispered in her ear and shows her the plans for the house. With tears in her eyes, she went over gave Steve the biggest hug she could give him.  And tells Mary and Lizzy and his wife Loraine and gave them each big hug too. “It’s our way of saying thank you, dear,” they said with tears all in their eyes.


Martha stood back trying to be mad, shaking her finger at them. “How dare you keep a secret like that?” She said.  They all laughed as she wiped the tears from her eyes.


Wayne, Martha we are heading home today, I need to get back.” Steve said Wayne nods, “that’s why I wanted to give you those plans. I wish I could stay and help, but right now we need to get for home. Maybe later I could stop by and give you a hand.”


“Martha gives them each big hug. “You are always welcome you know that. You don’t have to say another word, thank you so much for all the help, it's more than we deserve.” She said wiping the tears from the back of her hand.


“Thanks, we will be back for the picnic; we wouldn’t miss it for the world,” he said.


“When do you plan on leaving?” Martha asked.


“Oh this afternoon,” Steve replied.


Wayne puts his arm around Steve.” Well then let’s go have a look see about these plans of yours Steve,” he said.


Martha could hardly believe it as she watched the two men head off towards the barn. Wiping the tears from her eyes, she was already missing them and they haven’t even left yet. She turned to watch Anna help the two girls with the chores in the house. She wonders. “Am I going to miss them when they leave? They sure have been struggling that’s for sure. They do seem to be getting long better not bickering; well not as much anyway.” She wonders how their grandmother making out with their parents and worries about Danny going home. “I’m not ready yet let him go,” watching him play happily with Sam in the yard.


Martha turned to look up the road as a car pulled into the farm; its man and a woman and she recognize them. She quickly stands and ran over by EJ yelling for Richard and the boys.  Richard, Steve, and the boys come dashing out of the barn picking up Danny in one swoop and running over to EJ’s side with Pa right behind them. Mary and Lizzy saw who it is stood ready for anything.


Jim and Linda got out of the car seeing everyone outside in corner surrounding EJ as if hiding him and shielding him from them, Richard was holding Danny. Dona and Peggy came racing towards the house recognizing their parent’s car as it pulled into the farm, and rushed towards their mother and father Dona said. “I told you, mama they are holding us, prisoner,” Dona said and Peggy running towards them.


Linda gives Martha a cold hard stare. “We come to take them home,” she said.


Martha burst out laughing. “Linda, Jim if they want to go home we won’t stop them. They were never prisoners, they just didn't want to have any fun. We tried, and we tried, all they wanted to do was fight and bicker all day long. If they want to go home, fine by us, will just have more fun without them, right boys and girl's?” Ma said.


“Right Ma…Yes, ma’am… ”Linda started to head over towards Danny and EJ. That's where his brothers, uncles, and Pa drew the line. “Sorry Linda, that's far as you come, EJ's fine as you can see…Wave son that's all you have to do.” EJ waved while keeping both his eyes on his father making sure he doesn't move an inch from where he is standing.


“What about Danny? Does he get to come home?” Linda asked.


Richard stepped forward. “Sorry Linda, mother left him in my care for a now… Danny, you are welcome to give your mother a hug,” and walked over to her lets him. He does and he even kisses her cheek.


“I fine mama really; I'm having lots of fun,” Danny replied.


Richard picked him back up in his arms. “He'll see you in a few days.  Linda, Jim I'll take good care of him,” Swings Danny in the air as little Danny squealed with laughter.


Steve walks them both to the car. “I’ll bring their suitcases by the house later,” helping the girls into the car. “Take care now.” He said as he waited for Linda and Jim to get back into their car.


They take one last look around at the gathering around their son who they can barely see his face, Linda hangs her head. “Let’s go, Jim!” Linda mutters under her breath,” this not over! I am going to sue you for everything you have done to us and make sure you spend the rest of your life behind bars. You hear me, Mr. Downing, I am coming for you.”

Pa said. "We will see about that, last time I checked you were the ones that caused this mess in the first place, and we have pictures to prove it, now 'git' the hell off my farm.”


Girls glared back with their twisted, gleaming, smiles thinking they have won this day. Peggy was plotting looked towards EJ and Danny. “Oh, mother it's not over, their both going to pay.” Everyone on the farm waved them on down the road with smiles on their faces laughing, having a good time as if nothing was wrong.


Ma watched them go. “For once I believe the girls were actually happy because they were going home,” she said smiling as she waved to them. Of course, they didn't wave back they sat and stared, eyes glaring back at them through the window as they left down the road.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Goodness, such malice. Peggy and Dona are definitely up to something. I'm glad their parents took them away, though. Folks will have a lot more fun with out those two around.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

Yes they didn't belong there that's for sure. Thanks for reading

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
1 Review
Added on February 11, 2019
Last Updated on January 16, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep