Chapter 5-1

Chapter 5-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 5-1


Aunty M with a quick nod she gave a quick flick of the wrist, the miniature horses came to life with a hard start and a jump. Leaving the Downing Villa behind, and then they started to gallop. Everyone hung on tight as they went past the little tent houses and down the road a few paces.  Martha hung onto Wayne, laughing like a schoolgirl in his arms as they headed down towards their farm. The children right behind them in their own buggy laughing, having the time of their life, waving at the people as they went by.


As they pulled up to their farmhouse in the yard, the drivers put the horses in the field with Wayne's horses and buggies in front of the barn for later.  “Martha dear, I wouldn't plan on dinner here, we're eating out tonight.  Wayne keep those shoes polished dear, you are going to need them.” Then gives them both a swift kick, “well let’s get a move on it,” she laughed, “we have work to do,” Aunty M said, “and times a wasting.”


Everyone headed back into the house to change back into their work clothes, Ma and the girls start preparing lunch for the boys. While boys start to go back to work on the house, so they thought. Aunty M came out of the house. “Boys, no sir'ery, we are not ready yet.” She said as they turned to look at her all dressed up in her riding clothes.


She was all decked out from head to toe wearing a tarnish brown old 5-gallon cowgirl’s hat with a drawstring around the neck with some kind of bone that looked like a steer horn wrapped around it. Calf leather jeans, chaps tied to the sides and kicked down cowgirl boots with a loop of rope by her side. Her big old belt buckle flashed in the sun.


She slings over her riders pack over her shoulder. “Well boys, don't just stand there gawking at me, we have work to do. I assume ya you’d rode horse or two,” she said pointing to the field? “Well, we got fences to build and cattle to pin boys,” she replied.


“Yes ma’am, we know how to ride a horse Aunty M… just we never…?” Will and Robert replied.


“Son you haven't done a lot of things. Now 'git' inside change those clothes ya silly boys,” she said giving them each a swift kick, pointed them back towards the back door. “You to Wayne, the duds are in your rooms, yours to son,” Aunty M said looking down at EJ.


“I can't ride Aunty M; I've never been on a horse,” EJ replied holding his 1 crutch.


“Heck son, you'll be riding with me, now hop to it,” she said as she helped him down from the saw bench.


“Yes ma’am,” he said hobbled back into the house after his brothers.


Each of the boys found a new hat and a pair of boots, a pair of western Jeans for each of them. EJ, of course, could only wear his hat and pair boots for now. They looked like cowboys ranchers all spiffy like, as they each looked in the mirror laughing, “Howdy partner,” at each other as they tipped their hats. They walked down the hall into the kitchen to their sisters as they giggled at the sight of them as they all say. “Howdy ma’am,” to their Ma and sisters and winked.


Julie, Anna, and Ma cracked up laughing when Pa came out of the room, flashing his big old belt buckle, “even darlen, watcha got cooken,” picking her up for a quick kiss. Then sets Ma back down on the floor, walking bull leg over to his daughters, giving them each twirl sitting them on his knee asking each one, “plan on doin some sparken by the fire,” he asked in his best cowboy accent.


“Oh Pa,” they laughed...

 

Ma hands each of them a sack lunch and waved goodbye, tells EJ to be careful watching as Pa helps him onto the horse with Aunty M... “Martha he'll be just fine, stop your fussin, this old horse here is as gentle as they come. Besides Doc won't be far if we need him, and we won't will we boy?” She said as she tightened down his hat. “Now the steer's on the other hand, they're not so gentle, they have a mind of their own.” She said as she waved goodbye with a, “giddy up” and quick turn of the hand, yelling, “ye haw boys, let’s head out.”


Martha faces nearly hits a wall when she said that, watching her boys leave the farm with trot with her in the lead. Yelling, “Aunty M you come back here with him,” but all she got was the wind and dust in her face. Coming up the road a farmer with two cows turned into the farm; “Mrs. Downing, here's these cows you needed, I'll just put them in the pasture over yonder. This one here’s with black spots her name is Clementine and the other is Rose. You’ds takes real good care of them tha'll take’s real good cares of you’s and your family. Thanks for giving them good home ma’am,” he said with a tear in his eye. “We we're’s afraid gonna have’ ta leave them ta strangers.”


Martha watched this sad farmer puts his cows in the pasture and says goodbye to them as they moo back to him and pats them on the side. All she can do is thank him, even though she did not know him or why. He nods, “it's my pleasures ma’am.” He walked on out of the farm back down the road.


The girls, Sam and Danny hearing them mooing and seeing the cows in the field. “Ma where did those come from?” They asked.


“I have to no idea,” she replied looking where the farmer had come from and looking at the cows as the children raced over to get a better look at them. 


Danny with his eyes wide fixed on the cows, “I've never seen one this close before except on TV. Do you think it bites?” He asked watching them chew on the grass below, Julie shrugged her shoulders as Sam and Danny look underneath the cow and points, whispering in each other's ear, “it strange looking cow, never seen one of those before.”


Anna, Julie giggled watching the boys with new wonders in their eyes. Tells them, that's where the milk comes from.


The boy’s looked at them like their nuts. “No way!” Watching them taking another second look.  “I thought it came from a store?” Danny said as Julie and Anna start cracking up. Watching these two boys trying to figure out how the cow works, to make milk as it moos back at them swishing its tail as it chewed the grass. After a while, the two boys got bored watching the cows and went back to playing around the house while girls and Ma worked around the house on other things, why the boys were away.



* * *

 


Aunty M was keeping the boys busy as they rode through the pastures and fields down the sides of the roads and tents that have sprung up around them. She would wave and call out “howdy boys,” along the way. Stopping along the way to meet and greet a few she hasn't seen in a while and catches up on the news, introduces to them to Wayne and the boys. Picking up some stragglers along the way or should I say more hands for the road. “Yes, sir our little party had a way of growing as we started out from the farm that afternoon with Pa and Aunty M. Plus his four boys that include Richard since he was one his boys now.  Aunty M figured until Betty said differently and she doubted relation or not, she didn't care, no sir.


Looking at the group riding along, EJ counted as he bounced up down in the saddle next to his Aunty M. They had about 25 rugged men and boys with horses heading up the road across the fields. They were a rugged group laughing as we rode and EJ bouncing along, his legs flared at the sides of the horse with his Aunty M. She kept him tucked under her arms so he wouldn’t fall off the horse as he bounced in the saddle along the trail. Everyone once while she stops to make sure he was alright, Pa would check his stitches making sure they were still all in tacked and lets them stretch their legs a bit.


Pa had to remove his boots, put them back in the pack as Aunty M laughed, but that was alright she understood as she looked at his poor blistered feet, wasn't quite ready for them yet. The sandals kept falling off when he bounced in the saddle. So he just went without as he just smiled with that an old twinkle in his eye, he hated shoes anyway."


Coming to the spot where she designated on the map she shouted, “woo boys,” this looks like the spot,” pulling out her map looking at some trees and turned left and then a right. “Yes sir this is the place,” she said as she climbed down from the horse. “Over there boys you should find some fence polls, shovels, some barbwire and everything else we need. We have cattle comen boys, let’s give them a place to put them. Well, boys don't just stand there, let’s get cracken,” she replied.


Wayne and the boys climb down from the horses headed over toward the trees. “Pa isn't this Mr. Wilson Farm?” Robert asked as he looked towards the farm clear down the road.


“Yes Robert, it is,” Pa said as he picked up a shovel a finds a marker starts digging post holes.  Richard and the boy's setup EJ up a place to work measuring, sawing polls for the holes. The men and boys worked all afternoon building fences while a wagon from the nearby farm brought them all cool refreshments.


Aunty M was no slouch either. She could wrap barbwire tighter than spring coil mattress. Yes, sir, they had that fence up in no time a’tal all. One and a half miles that day one way and down the other side; with a loud whistle from Aunty M and wave of her hand. “Alright boys, bringer on in boy's, it's quiten time,” she said.


“Yes ma’am,” they all replied.


“Let's call it a day, well all meet back here in the morning boy's,” she said and sends them on their way. Aunty M climbed back on her horse and Pa hoisted EJ back up to her. The boy's and Pa climb back on theirs and headed on back to the farm.


Ma seeing the boy's riding back into the farm came dashing out of the house. Seeing EJ bouncing up and down in the saddle with a big dirty grin on his face, she sighed with relief. “See Ma, I was just fine.” He said as Pa helped him down from the horse as he hobbles back into her arms.


Ma checked him out from head to toe then kissed his cheek giving him hug. “Ma I can't breathe,” he said as she presses him against her so tight giving Pa and Aunty M a hard cold stare.


“He's alright Martha,” Aunty M laughed. “I told ya, there was no need to fuss and worry, he was safe as mother’s milk. Oh good, the cows have arrived,” Aunty M said looking into the pasture. “Martha we're going to have fresh milk of the freshest kind,” she replied, dusting off her duds. “Robert, Will I bet you've never milked a cow before either,” she asked


“No ma’am,” they said seeing the cows in the pasture.


“Well theirs a lot of things you haven't done before,” Aunty M said as she laughed and climbs down from the horse. “You boys mind 'putin' the horse away, thanks.” Handing them the reins walked into the house down the hall to change. The boys put the horses away talking about the day when Rena and the boys showed up at the farm. “Hi Frank, hi Mark,” seeing them all still dressed up in their western cattle gear. “We just got back a few minutes ago,” Robert said telling them all about what they did and saw. Frank and Mark looked at them laughing as they removed their sandals before going into the house.


Rena smiles looking at the four boys, two as western cowboys and two boys in kitenge gowns, what odd fours these were. “Hi, Mrs. Whitmore.” The boys replied.


“Hello boys, your mothers said you just got back and had a busy day I hear,” she replied.


“Yes ma’am,” they said.


“Robert, Will go head change and you boys can go play, Julie is just cleaning up EJ, changing his bandages and then he can join you,” Ma said seeing the boys.


“Thanks, Ma,” Robert said going down to changed their clothes putting on their kitenge, what they been had wanting to do all day; slipping on their sandals doing a quick spin. The boys laughed watching them go around and around. “Lots more fun I must say, easier on the feet too, thanks a lot,” Will replied.


“Your welcome, Ma doesn't like us to wear them in the house anymore, leaves too many black marks on the floor,” Frank said. As Robert sees where he just made one,” oops” slips his back off.


Will laughed, “I see what ya mean,” slaps Robert on the back then taking a piece of sandpaper from EJ's box and takes out little wax shaving. “Shush we won't tell her,” the boys.” laughed putting the sandpaper back carrying the sandals in their hands down the hall. The boys set the sandals outside the front door why they waited for EJ.


EJ hobbling down the hall with Julie right behind him, “alright Ma he’s as good as new, not one stitch is out of place, couple extra bruises, but other than just fine,” she said.


“Thanks, Julie.” giving EJ quick kiss on the cheek.


“Thanks, sis,” EJ replied with a smile hobbles over to Will, Robert and the boys.


“Alright boys, go on now. Dinner will be ready in while,” Ma replied.


Aunty M walked in, “Martha I told ya dear we're eating out tonight dear,” seeing things going on the stove. Lifting lids on the kettles, “looks like well be taking it with us,” she said shaking her head opening the oven door.


Aunty M looked at the boys still in the living room, “you heard your Ma go on,” she laughed “git, I've worked ya enough for one day,” she said.


“Yes, ma’am.”


“You to girls, I bet you been in this house all day? Well, there are lads out there just dying to meet ya, now 'git' down that hall change those clothes girls,” giving them each a shove. Aunty M yells, "Wayne? Where's that husband of yours? Oh there you are,” turning around “fine looking man, I must say Martha. Wayne, these ladies of yours need a ride. Mind pulling up a buggy take them down to the square. I'll be long in a while,” she said looking around the kitchen. “And bring the boys down later after they burned off some that steam and finished their chores,” she replied. She was just about to shove him towards the door; he was already on the move. “Yes sir Martha he's a keeper,” gives him a wink and swift kick.


“I'm moven, I'm moven Aunty M,” he said.


“I know you are son, I just like see ya hop that's all,” laughing. Martha, Rena laughed watching Wayne go out the door towards the barn.


“Are sure you'll be alright?” Martha asked.


“Martha stop fusing all ready, the boy's and I will be just fine. Now you and the girls have a good time,” she said opening the buggy door for the Ladies, Wayne helping them all in. Aunty M waved them down the road as Wayne took them back to Downing Villa Squire


Aunty M watching Sam and Danny playing in the yard with rest of the boys, “now that's more like it,” taking in a deep breath of country farm air. “Yes sir,” pulled out a tissue dots her eye, “Mike you would like this you old fool.” Aunty M went back inside the house kicked off her shoes puts on a pot of Joe.

Aunty M pulled out a list of things that need to be done. She puts a check mark by the ones that are done, and put it back in her purse and pours herself another cup, “Ahhh, that's better. It’s just not natural,” she said shaking her head “the English can keep that old week stuff. Yes, sir.” Taking another sip Aunty M picked up the phone, “Hello Marty, we are right on schedule, yes sir. Just sends them this way. Will be ready for them the last count was 300 hundred best guess. I would say we need at least 70 to hundred head should do it. Tell the boys down there start the next one thanks… Now let's see what Martha has done,” tasting the sauce, “needs salt.” Opening the cabinet adding pinch tasting it, “that's better.”


 

* * *

 


Wayne and girls headed to Downing Villa Squire, Martha says. “Wayne I just can't believe that this used to be our hay field just days ago now lined with tents,” Martha said as people waved as they go by “Oh look there's your husband Rena,” who could miss him in a bright green Kitenge?


“Hi dear,” Rena said as she passed by him “almost through for the night?” Rena asked.


“Hello Wayne, Martha, yes dear just finishing up where are the boy's?” He asked.


“There back at the Downing farm, they are with Margaret she said she will bring them back with her later,” she replied.


“Oh that's fine dear,” he said. 


“We are just heading over to the squire for some fun,” she replied.


“Well then that sound like a wonderful idea, you fine ladies have a good time, I'll wrap things up here and join you. I understand it's going be another humdinger tonight, lots young lads for these young misses to dance with.”  In the distance a gun is fired high in the air, Martha nearly comes flying right out of her seat of the buggy. “Yep,” Doc laughed seeing the look on Martha's face, “ it's going be humdinger alright there's going to be a wedding.” 


Rena pulled a tissue from the purse, “I always cry at weddings,” she said.



“See ya later dear,” he said gives her a quick peck on the cheek with a quick spin of his gown walked down the lane.


Martha looks at Wayne with a worried look on her face. Wayne whispered, “dear, don't sweat the small stuff,” with a small flick of the wrist they were off down to the Downing Villa Square.


When they arrived at where there once was an open field, three large canopy tents we're in the middle with picnic tables set up with tablecloths set for the vittles, a large cook tent on the side. Women and girls were setting the tables, mounds of food where being placed along the sides in the corner. Everyone was busy helping each other going on about their work. In another corner a band was setting up, music starting up for the night. Children played in the field having the time of their lives. Some of them wearing Rena’s kitenge, some still as simple farmers, heck there were even Indian boys, Martha laughed thinking she had the only ones. Little girls and boys playing while the older ones prepared for the night festivities… Yes, sir, it was going to be another humdinger just like Doc said and there was going to be a wedding tonight.


Wayne ties off the horses and puts up the buggy, joins his wife and daughters when he comes back all he finds his wife and Rena. Julie and Anna already run off with a couple of nice lads. Pa watching Julie walking with a lad in the corner, “that was quick,” he said.


Martha grinned, “Oh him? Yes, dear, she danced with him last night, his name is Bill or was it Ted I can't remember, nice boy. Anna is over there as well, she can't make up her mind so she went with both them, a silly girl playing hard to get I guess. Not to worry dear I have my eyes on them, they won't go too far, you can trust your daughters,” she said.


“Not my daughters I'm worried about dear, it’s if they can handle them,” he replied.


“Now dear, what are you implying dear?” As she bats, her eyes at him fall into his arms.


“Exactly dear,” he said


Rena laughed at his foolishness. Seeing her husband and waved, “there you are dear,” wrapping his arms around her waist. “Wayne where are your daughters?” Wayne points Doc smiles, “young love nothing like it; in fact, that's how I meet Rena. Remember that first week we meet, we just knew,” he said.


“Yes dear I remember, it was so romantic,” as she giggles. “I was Julie age I think, now look at us. Where has the time gone?” As she watched the children play in the field?”




© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on February 12, 2019
Last Updated on January 17, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep