Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 7


All is quiet on the farm, the three deputies sleeping in their tent by the barn. Mr. Rooster climbing on the fence nearby clears his throat for his morning song. “C**K DODDLE DOO.”  Deputy's boy's sprawl out of their cot's onto the ground, the cows join in right behind them. “Mooo, moooooo Robert, Will I'm full, time to empty us get out of that bed.”  As the rooster chimes in c**k doodle do Mooo c**k doodle do. Robert and Will jump into their overalls, run out to the barn grabbing the pails and start milking their cow's Clementine and Rose. EJ and Richard come out to join them keeping them happy with fresh hay and feed with a swish of their tails. Ma yelling to EJ “be careful son”


“I will Ma” as she watched Robert get kicked again for pulling too hard. EJ laughing back to Ma, “their cow's Ma they don't have horns.”  Ma and the girls helping prepare breakfast for them and the three deputies while Pa finds chairs and help's set the table.



* * *

 


Somewhere in the distance, you hear a loud "splash" and someone screaming "OH THAT'S COLD!” Then some words that are not ledge-able for man or beast, coming from Aunty M as she drags herself out of the creek, sopping wet, madder than old cougar on the warpath. Heading for the Villa finding a fire with a pot of hot fresh Joe on the fire waiting for her and some dry clothes next to a tent. She busts out laughing, slapping her knee, pours her cup swallows it downs then another. “Thanks, Doc just what I needed” changes her clothes climbs on to her horse, “looks like their doing just fine. So let’s get the ball rolling, think we can start building that house,” giving him a wink and heads on back towards the farm.


She was happy as a mellow lark, knowing things were shaping up quite well, the boys were coming together. She just needed a larger group of young bucks and she found the leaders, now just need to organize them. Yes, things were working well, “Mike you would be so proud of them. It was like the good old days when we were young business and young farmers when we were helping each other,” as she wipes a tear from her eye.” This time need make sure… someone to carry on the work after she goes beyond. But how? Mike never did tell her how that silly old fool, always said “don't sweat the small stuff,” but now he's dead and gone beyond that old fool.


Margaret dots her eye one more time, following the old dirt road back to the farm. A shadow follows her, she looks back then it’s gone. Then it back on the right then on her left, soon it stops in front of her. Brings her to a complete stop, feeling her with fear and dread. Whispering to her… “Margaret pleases don't be afraid, you have nothing to fear from me, it's not your time yet and I just want to talk. I need a favor from you... and I'm told you are the person to ask. According to a late departed husband of yours and a very close friend of mine named Mike.” The voice of the shadow said.


That got her attention looking around the area from side to side, trying to find this being or the source. “What kind of game is this?” She asked.


“No game I assure you of that Margaret no, no game at all.” The voice said as Margaret looked around, with chills going up and down her spine. “Relax, have a cup Joe by the fire with me,” the voice said calling out by the tree.


Margaret seeing a man drawn in a brown hood by the fire, out of nowhere with a pot of Joe and two cups one for him and one for her. “I told you, you have nothing to fear,” he said as he waved his hand. A small boy appears drawing near then taking the reins of the horse walked them near him. The man pulled back his hood to show his face.


He is a young man fairly handsome something about his eyes cold and dark.. and yet there was something more? He smiles his eyes change to light blue crystal he sighs, “Is that better?”  As he laughed and hands her cup of Joe and offers her a seat on the ground in front of him by the fire. “As I was saying, dear Margaret, you have nothing to fear from me, I haven't come for you. It's not your time yet, so relax, you have a lot of work to do still. Before I can take you, but I'd lay off the moonshine or lest don't drink so much,” as he laughed.


“Now as I was saying,” taking couple more swallows of old Joe.  “I have a favor to ask of you more of a request really or call it if you like an IOU; yes Mike liked those,” the man laughed “IOU that's what we will do. I want you to introduce me to Mary and Lizzy and I'll choose between the two which one will be my wife,” he said.


Aunty M coughs and sputtered, her eyes popping out of her head, “you want me to what?” She replied.


“Come, come dear I promise whoever I chose will live a long and happy life with me by my side. It will be perfectly normal right down to children and grandchildren and so on. They will have no memory of my true identity until it's time or becomes necessary for them to know, there are rules you know. This happens all the time dear. Heck did ya think I was the only one? Silly girl, we too have to live and like to have a little fun...
How's your Joe dear? Not too strong is it?” He asked as he pours her and him another.


“Let's get down to brass tacks,” he said patting her hand waits for her take another swallow and pours another cup. “Margaret I’m watching somebody right now, sort of grooming you might say.  I can't tell you who, rules of the job and a made promise, one of those IOU's, well anyway very special. I can tell you this before I go?”


“I am the beacon and the guide, the warning before the tide you will not see me, you will not need me till its time and then when end cometh, then I'll guide you safely to distant shore. Until then you won't remember me or morn my passing upon the evening tides. "


Then he fades into the background leaving her sitting by the fire, her horse tied to a tree, the wind rustling whispering, “Thanks Margaret saves a dance for me.” Chills going up and down her spine watching the fire go out.



* * *

 


Margaret quickly jumps onto her horse, rides towards the farm, trying not to look back. Her mind racing, has she gone mad? Laughing to herself “it must have been the moonshine.” Seeing the farm she hurries into the farm and ties up the horse to the porch, walks into the house. Chin held high, “good morning ya'll,” seeing everyone at the table. Giving Martha and Wayne wink. “Alright boys line up, sorry I'm late. I just needen to fresh up down at the creek,” she said checking the boy's hands.  Today you look like you all pass,” gives them each a kiss on the head.


“Oh look at these hands,” turning over the three Deputies.  Aunty M shaking her head she gives them a swift kick sends them down the hall to wash their hands again.


Aunty M looking at all the children her eyes stopping at EJ wondering in her mind …pause just for a moment, then hearing faint whispering in the distances. Place a kiss on this child's head, slaps another piece of meat and pours another glass milk then smiles. Aunty M walks over to Danny just in case listens, not a sound or a small whisper. She tries to smile with a tear in her eye pours him a glass a milk place another piece of meat helps him cut it up and kiss his cheek.


Whispers to him, “you are going to be just fine son.” Goes to the window looks down the road, imaging their home where Jim and Linda are. One thought a very old thought goes through her mind remembering something Mike said about Morgan. Could it be? Could he be the one? As she looks at EJ’s reflection in the window; muttering under her breath, “Haven’t you done enough? Can’t you leave them both alone?”


Wayne watching Aunty M over by the window, “Is there something the matter?” He asked as he puts an arm around her.


“No Wayne, just thinking that's all.” Not to worry him besides there's nothing he could do about it anyway. Then returns shake it off with one more glance and then pours a cup of Joe. Instead settled for a nice glass of milk this morning to settle her nerves, she little more on the rattled side today as she looked at shadows in the trees.


It's not every day you have a nice conversation on the side of the trail as you sit by the fire with death sharing a cup of Joe and shooten the breeze. And now he wants to dance, take a wife and have a little fun with me and join our little party. “Ye haw, I think,” as she sighs, drinking her glass of milk, looking out of the window towards the Villa.

“Alright kids,” giving them each a look, “its time to get ready for school, so go get cleaned up and wash your hands and faces the wagon be her in a few minutes.” Aunty M replied.


“But Aunty M I can't go to school, I don't have any clothes I can wear,” replied EJ.


Ma laughs kisses EJ's head, “you’ll be fine, just go as you are son, just go wash up,” she said.


All the kids head down the hall to wash their hands while Ma sets the boys sandals by the door as the wagon pulled up to the farm. It was Richard job today to pick up the kids according to the roster. Plus they had the most students that were attending the school so it made logical sense. The problem was that left the Sheriff short-handed two people. One would be in school and the other be delivering and picking up kids. The rule states he had to have five good men at all times in an approximate area. No matter how hard Wayne and the boys looked for a loophole there was no way around this problem. It took a lot of quick thinking on their part for the first few days.


Pa as the Sheriff and the boys would follow the kids to school set up a parameter around the school area doing paperwork odd job in the area. If they had to go anywhere that required further need. They would load all the children in the wagons with a blackboard and teacher call a field trip so they can get the work done. He soon realized after a couple of days of this wasn't going to work, looking at the pile of wood for the house and fall would be here in couple more months.


Doc said, “Look around, use them boy,” Wayne looking at his boys and his five Deputies. “Alright, boys,” looking at the map, “its time we stop beating our selves up we have job to do so let’s get cracken we need all this done. We need men so go find me some.” Sheriff Downing hands them each a list grabbing their horses. “Boys let’s go gettem.”


“Yes Sir, Pa sir.” The Sheriff and the boy's put on their hats shine their badges run down the aisle of the tents. Yelling too all to meet them all in the Villa Square.  Sheriff riding his horse waiting for his boy's, it was magnificent as the boys run up down the tents throughout the Villa yelling, “All men wanted and lads by the order of Sheriff Downing meeten in the Villa Square.”


After a few minutes, there were 300 hundred men and boys in and under the canopy the Sheriff at the podium with his 5 good deputies around him; Doc, Hatfield and Aunty M smiling in the background with Judge Parker, Aunty M taking a tissue out of her purse dotting her eye. “Yes Mike you old fool you're missing this,” she whispered to herself.


Hearing a soft whisper in her ear, “his not dear, trust me.” At the corner of her eye, she could see a shadow in the corner, a figure of a man as he nods to her. Wayne steps up at the podium, “boys its time we get cracken see my boy's, put your name on the roster, there's work to be done.” Yell's “YE-HAW” throws his hat in the air.


Aunty M gives him approval and a nod with a pat on the back,” now we can start building that house dear.” The boys fan out filled out the rosters and got all the names they needed as they hand them to the Sheriff. The Sheriff handing them to both Doc's to look over.  Doc with a smile and a laugh. “I want you to look at everyone, we can start work first thing in the morning,” he said.


“Yes sir Sheriff Downing,” they smiled.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on February 13, 2019
Last Updated on January 17, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep