Joel Ch.3

Joel Ch.3

A Chapter by JoseG

Chapter 3.      Joel

                I wake up from my nap, well I say nap but it was a total night’s rest. I look at the time and realize it is, 12:37am. I walk to the restroom, with the intention to brush my teeth, suddenly I realize I don’t have a toothbrush or toothpaste for that matter. I walk to my nightstand, a dark wooded chest. It has a few scratches on the sides, I suppose it’s from years of pulling back and forth by housekeeping, to clean behind it. On top of the resilient night stand, sits a brown shaded lamp, as well as a very old school phone, the kind where you dial the number by rotating the wheel with your finger and stopping at the number you want to dial. I am not even sure I know how to properly use one but I know I won’t be able to call front desk unless I do something with the numbered wheel. In very small letters at the bottom right corner of the phone it says, dial 0 before dialing outgoing calls or 0 to call front desk. I grab the phone and dial 0. On the other end of the phone is a familiar voice, that says

“Front desk, how can I help you?

“Hey. Jacob this is Joel, room 512”

“Of course, how can I help you” says Jacob is a monologue voice. Almost as if he didn’t remember who I was.

“I was just wondering if you guys had any toothbrushes and toothpaste” I ask embarrassed as I can be.

“I am sorry, we actually do not carry any of those” Jacob sounds annoyed with his answers.

“Alright, well thank you anyway” I say as I hang up the phone.

I get up and realize my shirt is wrinkled as well as my pants. I then think how I have no clothes or deodorant which I need.

I walk to the restroom throw some water on my face, rinse my mouth and dry off with the soft face towel provided by the hotel.

I look up the closest gas station that is open now. I find there is one at about a mile away. I start my elevator ride to the bottom floor. I look in the direction of the front desk to see if I catch a glimpse of Jacob. I however come to find a skinny, raggedy haired white boy, standing where Jacob was earlier today. I conclude he is the night shift worker.

Seeing Jacob is not there I continue to walk. The street lights are dim kind of scary movie like. I am not in the mood to be frightened so I wave the thought out of my head, continue walking.

I turn right on to Second street, as soon as I make the turn, I head on hit someone’s pectoral muscles. I am pretty sure it still hurt me more than him.

“Oh, f**k I am sorry” says the man in front of me.

I look up at him, immediately recognizing him.

“Jacob!!!! Hey”

He looks down at me and it takes him a minute to realize who I am.

“Hey, Joel? Right? He asks

“Yes, Sorry for bumping into you again, apparently this is going to be our greeting method from now on” I say laughing

“I suppose it is, where are you going so late? He says

“I have to buy some toothpaste, and tooth brush among other things” I reply in a mocking way, because he should know I just talked to him.

“Oh, that’s right, you just called and asked. I didn’t realize it was you, sorry I was very annoyed, I can’t think straight when I am mad, the person who was supposed to relieve me almost 2 hours ago decided to show up late” he says rapidly

“I was wondering the same thing, when you answered the phone. I guess that explains a lot” I say

“Why are you going this way though? The Super Store is down Main St.”  says Jacob confused.

“Well this is the one my phone suggested” I reply stupidly

“No, no, no this is not a good side of town for newcomers to be wondering about late at night, here let me go back to the office for my phone charger, and I will take you down Main St. to Super Store, unless you have a policy of not getting in cars with strangers you met at the hotel” Jacob looks expectantly at me, with a smirk on his face I can’t help but laugh at.

“Hahaha, Jacob we basically know each other intimately so regardless of my strict, don’t get into a random cute guy’s car policy. You no longer qualify as random seeing as this is our third encounter” I say jokingly

We head back to the hotel strolling casually down Main St. He looks down at me with a look I have seen many times, the look of lust. He smoothly says “So, you think I am cute?

Holy f**k, did he just say that, I look right, onto the road to avoid his gaze, feeling almost compelled to scream “Of course” but I don’t. Simply because in the book of 21st century era on how to date one does not simply say what one wants instead we torture and play a chasing game of you want me, while I pretend I don’t want you. Until one gives in, more than likely on a drunken night where we can blame alcohol for the bad decision we made which was the right decision we have been wanting to make.

“Jacob, yes I do think you are cute. It would be a shame to not compliment god’s creation” I say in a biblical manner that will hopefully disintegrate the sexual tension I can feel in the air.

“Hmph” the sound Jacob makes when exhaling oxygen through his nose and a constriction of his throat. As in saying “I knew it”

He continuous on to say, “I think god did something great with you too”

He walks into the hotel, as I am left there gawking at him. His forwardness is unprecedented. I just think of how much sex this guy has had, thanks to his smooth-talking skills.

He returns a smile on his face that lights up the entire city, I just look at him and smile back.

We start walking back to the same direction we just came from, so I ask

“Why are we going back to the not so good part?

“Oh, I was lying this place is safe I just wanted an excuse to talk to you” says Jacob as he looks at me with a mischievous smile on his face.

“I’m just kidding the hotel’s parking lot is back here, so we have to come this way to get to my car” Jacob flows his words in a manner that I recognize from a friend back home, however I dissipate the thought before it goes any further.

“Did I scare you? Asks Jacob concerned.

“No” I say, “Just got lost in thought, so what is this Super Store? I ask

“Well it’s basically a one stop shop, they have everything you need, food, clothes, jewelry, electronics, pharmacy, literally everything” he replies

“Sounds very convenient” I say

We arrive at his car, I am stupefied because he is driving a 2017 Nissan Altima. How can somebody afford a brand-new car on a front desk receptionist salary. Either cars are cheap here or I am missing something big.

“I know that look, that’s the How can he afford this car look” says Jacob while he reaches for his keys.

“No, I mean maybe” I say not trying to insult him.

“It’s fine” he says

“It does not add up to many people, how I work a regular job and afford this car, but in reality is I cannot afford it. My parents gave it to me” Jacob says his last words in a manner that says this is the end of the conversation.

He unlocks his car, and says “get in”

I think of something quick and light to change subjects

“Of course, I am getting in the car of the first guy I met in New Orleans”

Jacob looks at me as he gets in the car and says

“For all you know this is the day you die” he lowers his voice into a husky whisper the closer he gets to the end of the sentence.

I think about how comical it is, that even if it were true. If I was really about to die I would mind it not one bit, well I would have some regrets, like leaving the plane without getting Kohl’s number. Maybe also not getting a chance to know Jacob more but other than those two things I had nothing to loose then and there. I however decide my depressing and suicidal thoughts are not a good conversation topic so instead I say

“You seem to be really sure of yourself, what makes you think I am not the killer after all, I am the one who is new to town, and nobody knows anything about me”

Jacob looks dumbfounded

“Okay, well I guess we will just have to find out then” he says as he starts the car.

We drive down Main St. for maybe four minutes. I see the neon sign that reads “Super-Store”

We drive in, park and get off.

I wait for Jacob to lead the way, after all this is new to me. We walk in, he asks

“So, what do you want to get first”

I pull out my phone, open the Note’s app where I have made a list of things I need. I show him my list so he can decide how to find our way around the store

-Toothpaste

-Toothbrush

-Soap

-Pants

-Shirts

-Boxers

-T-Shirts

-Chips

-Margarita Mix

-Socks

-etc.

-Condoms and Lube

I feel this is how Jacob looked at my list only reading the first few items before his eyes jumped to the line where I typed Condoms.

Jacob looks at me surprised, then looks back at the phone, then me again and lastly back at the phone as if trying to make sure he wasn’t day dreaming.

“Joel, you are something else. How is it that this even made your list?” he asks amused

“It didn’t, I just wanted to see your reaction to it” I say as I grab my phone back.            

Jacob smiles, and says “Sure”

He starts to walk into the clothes section so I follow.

It takes us about 35 minutes before we have everything I came for. However Jacob is still walking away from the register so pushing my now halfway full cart, I follow him again I see pills, cough drops, tampons. I see Jacob has stopped walking, he is pensively staring at small boxes, the closer I get the more realization sinks in, Jacob is looking at condoms.

“Are you serious? I ask

“Why not, we are already here” he replies

“Which is your favorite? He asks me

“Don’t know, Jacob the question has never came up before” I say in my most serious voice

“Fine then, Trojan it is” he picks up a box that has probably three or four condoms and a bottle of lube.

The audacity he has is extraordinary. We walk back to the register and the lady at the register is scanning my items, Jacob had placed the lube and condoms there so the cashier asks

“Is this also yours?

I look back at Jacob and he says

“Oh, come on, why not it’s not like I am going to use it with anybody else”

I can feel myself starting to blush, but luckily the cashier steps in and says

“You guys make a cute couple” as she scans the two remaining items.

I feel this weird sense of relief, back home I could have never had this conversation in public much less get an acceptance comment from anybody.

I proceed to pay, and we leave the store.

The drive back was mostly me singing to Taylor Swift and Jacob pretending to sing along, while frantically laughing at me.

We arrive back at the hotel but this time Jacob parks upfront, he gets down as his helping me to get the things off he says, “How is it possible you know every Taylor Swift song”

“I know every mainstream song not just Taylor” I say

“Why am I not surprised” He says as we start walking into the hotel.

When we are passing the front desk I realize he is purposely starring at the reception guy and giving him a nasty look, while the receptionist tries to avoid contact with him. We make it back to my room, we unpack everything I just bought, that needs to be refrigerated. It is now 2:25 so I get up and walk him to the door

“Seriously? I thought we were getting somewhere here” says Jacob

“No, Sir. I might break a few rules for you, but sleeping on the first day, is a rule I won’t break not even for you”

Jacob is starting to walk away when he turns back and says

“I need my condoms and lube, since you won’t be needing them” he says in a judgmental way

I hand him his things, and as he leaves you hear him say

“Goodnight, Joe”

I don’t get a chance to say it back because he is in the elevator by then. So I just close the door and go back to unpacking.

Somebody knocks on the door and I run to open it saying

“No, Jacob. You cannot take my skittles also I don’t care how much you…”

My voice drops, to a cold dead silence, because Jacob is not the person at the door.



© 2017 JoseG


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on September 3, 2017
Last Updated on September 3, 2017


Author

JoseG
JoseG

Tyler, TX



About
I like writing, reading and watching movies and shows. more..

Writing
Being Me Being Me

A Book by JoseG


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by JoseG


1. New Joel 1. New Joel

A Chapter by JoseG