Part One: Chapter Five

Part One: Chapter Five

A Chapter by Alex Thomas
"

Part One: The Spider

"

On her walk home, Chuck wiped her eyes from her first day. Not even Lizzie’s exuberant presence helped Charlotte. Her backpack was heavy on her shoulders and the thought of recovering from her months’ absence sickened Charlotte with grief. Digging her key from the uncomfortable skirt, Chuck opened the door, hung her coat, and slipped off the ugly black shoes like the good girl she was expected to be.

Ellen flitted by, cleaning everything except the cobwebs to Charlotte’s irritation. “Good afternoon, Charlotte.”

“Hey,” Chuck greeted, passing her to go to her room. She changed into jeans and a tee shirt. When a chill ran through her body, she put the maroon sweater back on. She focused her homework, but she cried even harder. Chuck dropped her head on the desk. “I just need someone to tell me what to do…Mom, I wish you could help me through.”

“Chuck!” A familiar voice called out.

Charlotte knew it couldn’t be true; it couldn’t be real.

“Look up, sweetheart.”

Her eyes popped open and a perfectly accurate, translucent image of her mother stood before her. “Mom! I’m sorry. I-I miss you. I-” Her voice quavered.

“It’s okay, Chuck. It’s okay.” Her voice soothed Charlotte.

“I don’t understand.” Charlotte sprang up to touch her mother’s figure. Her brain attempted to make sense of the moment.

“It’s what you said, my chicken. You asked for my help.”

“B-but you’re dead!” Chuck screamed. “You left me!”

“I didn’t want to.” The thin pale hand stroked her cheek.

Chuck shuddered. “W-what are you?”

The silhouette flickered. “I don’t have long. Chuck, your father and I never told you that-”

Darkness coated Chuck’s vision.

“CHARLOTTE!”

Her eyes popped open and her head flew off the desk. “What? Never told me what?” She asked. “It was a dream? No!”

“Charlotte, it’s time for dinner.” Ellen announced dully.

Still upset, Chuck dropped her head onto her open textbook. “I’m not hungry.”

Placing a hand on the girl’s shoulder, Ellen coaxed, “At least come down and sit at the table.”

“I don’t want to.”

Ellen pulled her up. “Come on, Charlotte.” She dragged her down to the table.

Annoyed, Mr. and Mrs. DiRagno were already eating.

“How was your first day at school?” Mrs. DiRagno asked cheerily.

Chuck shrugged. “Fine.”

“Did you make any friends?” She further inquired.

“I don’t think so,” she replied glumly. Chuck poked at her dinner; though, the more she looked at it, the less appetizing it seemed.  “May I be excused?”

“No, tell me about your classes.”

“They’re pretty boring. I’m pretty far behind too, so I’m going to catch up…” Chuck disposed of her leftovers and scurried upstairs.

“Charlotte, if there is one thing I dislike, it’s disobedience,” Mr. DiRagno stated. “So I suggest you come back here.”

The tone of his voice usually intimidated Charlotte, but when he spoke in threats, it was enough to terrify her. She traipsed back into the dining room. “I’m sorry. I just didn’t have a good first day.”

“That’s no excuse for disobeying your mother,” Mrs. DiRagno sniped.

The image of her mother’s pallid silhouette burned in Chuck’s mind and something inside her wanted to snap about how Annette DiRagno would never be her mother. She remained levelheaded. “I’m sorry. It won’t happen again.”

“Very well then, you’re excused, but do not leave your bedroom for the rest of the evening.”

Chuck nodded. “Yes, sir.” They had turned her original plan into a punishment and they even managed to make her feel guilty about it. Once in her bedroom, Charlotte stared at the homework that she was expected to do. Eventually, she completed it, uneager to make a good impression on her new teachers. As she drifted to sleep, she desperately wished to dream of her mother’s ghost again.

 

An abrupt knocking woke Charlotte along with Ellen’s sharp tone, “Charlotte, I know you don’t want to wake up late on your second day!”

“I don’t want to wake up at all,” she moaned groggily.

Irritated yet again, Ellen exhaled, “It’s Friday! You’ll be able to sleep tomorrow.”

Chuck flopped out of bed and prepared for the day. Her tired clumsy fingers fumbled with the buttons on her blouse. Due to her leg, she nearly tripped down the stairs on her way to breakfast.

“Good morning, Charlotte. Maroon is a very lovely color on you. Giovanni, remind me to buy her more maroon.” She turned back to Charlotte. “Then you can properly support the Leman boys’ teams.”

“There’s a Leman’s for boys?”

“What other football team would those girls cheer for? Are you going to go to a football game, Charlotte?”

Within an instant, Charlotte shook her head. She never wanted to go to another football game again.

“What are you wearing for dinner tonight? We’re having guests,” Mr. DiRagno asked bluntly.

“What should I wear?”

He grunted, “Something elegant, but not too revealing. I know young girls these days like to act promiscuous and dress like wenches.”

“I’ll do my best to dress respectfully.” Chuck munched a piece of toast before trekking to school. Since she left far too early, the school was still dark when Chuck arrived.

At the front of the school, she watched as Lizzie walked side by side with a boy wearing a maroon sweater and black slacks. The two were in extremely deep conversation. The boy looked over, catching Charlotte’s stare. He then whispered something to Lizzie.

Lizzie then motioned for Charlotte to join them.

Burning with embarrassment, Charlotte shuffled over.

“P.J., this is my friend, Chuck. She just moved here. Chuck, this is my brother, P.J.” Lizzie introduced them.

“How you doing, Chuck?” He flashed a grin. His eyes were the same striking shade as Lizzie’s, but his hair was a harsh white blonde color against his tanned skin.

“I’m well, thanks. How are you?”

“I’d be better, knowing that Lizzie and I aren’t the only two who aren’t going to the football game.”

Chuck nodded, “I’m not going.”

“Great! How about a movie night at our place?” P.J. suggested.

Charlotte lowered her eyebrows confused. “No thank you. My…I’m not allowed to go out tonight.” Two bells went off in separate directions. “I’ll catch you later, Lizzie. It was nice meeting you, P.J.” Overwhelmed, she scurried off as quickly as her leg would allow, but she was able to hear behind her.

“Nice going, P.J.! You freaked her out! How am I going to get her to trust me now?”



© 2011 Alex Thomas


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmmm...Very intriguing. I like the ending to this. I don't know if I've said this yet, but I REALLY wish she and her new parents would be happier together. But, that's just coming from me and don't change plans because a fan wants you to. ;)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
1 Review
Added on January 13, 2011
Last Updated on February 9, 2011


Author

Alex Thomas
Alex Thomas

Boston, MA



About
I don't get on here much anymore. Here you can view my poetry, several short stories, some of my older work, and the beginnings of my second completed novel, Sleepwalker. To read the full novel and i.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Alex Thomas