Part Two: Chapter Two

Part Two: Chapter Two

A Chapter by Alex Thomas
"

Part Two: The Tiger

"

“What’s a collector? What are you talking about?”

Lauren smiled. “She collects supernatural beings as trophies. Sometimes she sells them, but mostly she just keeps them cooped up in the house to look at them. You are her prized possession, a little Wiccan. You’re worth more on the black market than everyone else here combined,” She informed her matter-of-factly.

Chuck wondered, “Why are witches so expensive on the black market?”

“The possibilities for a witch slave are endless. One, you can cast spells for just about anything. Two, you can make poisons which are illegal in the other world and such a commodity. And you, you are the granddaughter of Fergus f*****g Montgomery. You’re pretty damn powerful.” Lauren nodded along for emphasis.

Chuck sighed. “So I’ve heard. What are you if you don’t mind me asking?”

“I’m part of a spiritual group of beings called Those of the Laurel Tree. Up until last year, I was dead as a doornail. Resurrection and all that,” She stated nonchalantly.

“Oh.” Chuck listened to the angry and impatient call of Eve for supper and the rustling on Lauren’s side of the room. She lay back on her bed with a book of curses.

“You’re not that bad, Monty.” Lauren departed with these slightly kind words.

Chuck sat in silence for a while, reading contentedly and trying to learn.

A dark shadow loomed in the doorway. It was a tall and thick figure in a black hooded sweatshirt. The hood was up, obstructing the face from view. “So, you’re the new girl.” The voice was soft and gentle, not at all gruff, as Chuck had expected.

“I’m Chuck.” She smiled as she tried to peer past the darkness to his face.

He nodded, a ruffle of his hood. “Danny. When Eve said you were a witch, I was kind of expecting a big nose and a wart. I thought you were going to be green too.”

“What are you then? So I can make some stereotypes,” Chuck retorted, grinning.

He leaned against the doorway. “Shifter. A tiger actually.”

“So you have stripes? And your name means king in Swahili?”

With a laugh, a soft unsure sound, he corrected her, “I think that last part is lions and I’m not very fond of lions.” He ducked his hand under his hood to wipe his face off.

“Are you going to show me your face?” Chuck queried, interested.

“Nah, I’m… Let’s put it lightly, grotesque. A cute girl like you would vomit if you saw underneath.” His voice held a deep-rooted anger in it and mystery too.

“I think you’re underestimating just how much I’ve seen. I killed my adopted parents…on Christmas. And- shouldn’t you be at dinner?” She cocked her head.

“I don’t eat with that vile woman. And you’re under the first day no eating rule, huh? Must suck, you already look kind of hungry.” He stepped into the room.

Chuck shrugged. “I can usually brush off hunger. Throat injury about a year ago.”

“No kidding. Look at that scar.” He moved closer and took more care to hide his face. “Eve is gonna break you.” Pity shook his voice; Chuck longed to see his expression.

Chuck peeled off her glasses to clean the lenses. “What do you mean?”

“You’re cute. Eve hates pretty girls. You’re teeny and you have a limp. You’re weak, her ideal target. She’s going to work you and exploit you until you end up crying.”

She stood; Danny backed up in response. “You really underestimate me. I’m not helpless, okay? I’m perfectly capable of fighting off this…jerk,” She spat suddenly animated. “And another thing- I don’t appreciate the limp comment. People at my old school used to call me Gimpy.”

“Ouch. Sorry. You know, Chuck, you’ve got a spine. That’s more than can be said for anyone else in this damn house.” He sat on Lauren’s bed. “How are you adjusting?”

Chuck shrugged. “I’ve only been here an hour. Eve seems…crazy though. What kind of sick-o signs up to be a foster parent to…collect supernatural kids?”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. I wasn’t even in this world for two weeks before she got a hold on me. I’m from ‘the other world’ as you folk like to call it. I accidentally slipped through a portal and wound up in foster care. Been here for a few years now…”

“I’m sorry,” Chuck replied. She scrunched her eyebrows, trying to see his face.

He turned to face the wall. “Look, Chuck, you don’t want to see the scars that I’m sporting. You’d scream. I know you would. It’d be shrill and tormented. You’d want to help me, but you wouldn’t be able to bear the sight of me.” His voice quavered. “Do me a favor. Do something that no one has done in a long while. Just, be my friend without wanting to see underneath the hood. Give me that at the least.”

Relenting, she dropped her gaze. “Do me a favor. Don’t mention the limp.”

Then he laughed, a light yet gruff sound where all the pain in his voice dropped away to be replaced with an unforgettable bliss. “So can I ask about your parents then?”

“They died in a car crash almost a year ago. I miss them so much. They never told me that I was witch. They let me grow up…normal. They knew that I might abuse my powers. I never did even when I found out, but I’m glad they never told me. The temptation would’ve always been there. I mean I wouldn’t have worked as hard as I did for my grades, my track times, everything. I could’ve just written a spell to make it all happen. I was supposed to die. In the car crash, I mean. My mom tricked me into saying a spell to save myself. Apparently, I’m cut out for some great destiny.”

“Geez, that’s uh, quite a tale you’ve got there. I miss my mom a lot. She died when I was about five. My dad, I miss him too, but he’s so much more demanding than she ever was. He always expected me to be perfect. I still hope that I’ll see him again.”

Chuck sighed, “I wish I could see my parents again. I want that more than anything else in the world. I miss them more than I thought was even possible.” Chuck hiccupped trying to hold in her sobs. Thinking it might quell her pain; she unfolded the photograph of her with her family. It had the opposite effect. She broke into hysterical tears, shaking and gasping. Soon she felt her face against a scratchy sweatshirt. A soothing hand rested on her back, but traveled upward to smooth her hair like her parents used to when she was upset as a little kid.

“It’s okay, Chuck. Really. It’s okay.” Danny cooed, so close in her ear. “It’ll get easier. I promise.” He pulled off her glasses so that she could more effectively bury her head in shoulder. When she continued sobbing, he merely stroked back her hair.

They sat this way for a long while until Chuck was so exhausted from her fit that she looked at Danny, vision blurred with tears and astigmatism. “Thank you.” She sniffled. “I’m sorry that you had to see me like that.” With the back of her hand, she wiped her eyes and nose.

“What are friends for?” Danny pressed her head back against his tear-soaked sweatshirt.

“So we’re actually friends? Not because I’m a witch? Or because I’m Fergus Montgomery’s granddaughter? Or because I’m-”

Danny shushed her. “Because we’re friends, Chuck. It seems like you’ve had a long day.” He pushed her onto the pillow set out for her and tucked her in. “Night.”

Chuck lay there, boring into the blurry ceiling. She sighed, “He’s so sweet.” She grinned like an idiot and fell asleep despite the barely set sun.

 



© 2011 Alex Thomas


Author's Note

Alex Thomas
A bit short, I know. Thanks for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I've been away from internet for a while and am about to do some catching up :)

I like Danny. I REALLY hope he's a good guy-Chuck deserves a good friend. I'm curious about the hood that he's wearing though and have a feeling he's not that ugly. Self-esteems can really rip you up sometimes. But, I liked the limp comment. 'Don't mention the limp.' Seems like a fair trade.

The ending to this chapter was nice too. Just a simple ending with no violence or dramatic cliff hanger. It's always nice when that happens. I think Chuck needed that break.

Furthermore, good chapter. I liked it, and Danny :) But I have a question: What does Chuck look like? I like drawing book characters and want to draw her :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
1 Review
Added on July 4, 2011
Last Updated on July 4, 2011


Author

Alex Thomas
Alex Thomas

Boston, MA



About
I don't get on here much anymore. Here you can view my poetry, several short stories, some of my older work, and the beginnings of my second completed novel, Sleepwalker. To read the full novel and i.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Alex Thomas