Part One: Chapter Six

Part One: Chapter Six

A Chapter by Alex Thomas
"

Part One: The Spider

"

Autumn came and went with the leaves slowly darkening into brown crumbles and eventually falling from the trees only to float along with the wind. The winter had begun to chill the area, even threatening snow with cold grey skies.

Charlotte’s time with the DiRagno’s grew into a very rhythmic pattern, but became dull, as she had foreseen. Most often she was alone in their stately home, joining them only to eat at meals and to socialize with their Friday evening guests. With all of her solitude, she wondered what busied the DiRagno’s so late into the eve.  

School became tedious and Chuck found that she had trouble concentrating amongst her new classmates. While some girls took a liking to her, most enjoyed poking fun at her, especially about her leg. She was called Gimpy more than she was called by her own name; her Spanish teacher had accidently let it slip once or twice.

Lizzie stuck by and on occasion, defended Charlotte. Though Chuck was grateful, she grew wary of Lizzie’s intentions.

Charlotte’s mood dimmed quickly. Lonely and distrusting, she found herself pining to be home or running. Without any other outlet, she delved into her studies to the point of nearly perfect scores. The more schoolwork she did, the less consciousness she had. At several points during the fall, she even longed to be dead with the rest of her family.

The day before the start of holiday vacation passed particularly slowly. Chuck had no inklings what to do once she had a break.

The hallways were cluttered with girls swooning over vacation plans or gifts that a boyfriend had given them.

Charlotte was in no holiday mood. She wasn’t sure if the DiRagno’s were religious or not. Her eyebrows remained furrowed.

“Chuck…” Lizzie started.

She peered over at Lizzie.

“Do you like to write poetry?”

Chuck raised an eyebrow. “Poetry?” She questioned dully.

“Yeah, like rhythm and rhyme…”

She pondered it. “I guess. My Poppy was a poet. I don’t like saying it though. Usually it sounds like junk out loud.”

“I want you to come hang out at my house after school.”

Chuck shrugged. “I’ll ask.”

“I’m sure your parents would be fine with it.”

Her eyes rolled, “Parents…right.” Even though they were headed to the same classroom, Chuck remained silent. She plopped down in her Algebra class.

“Gim- Charlotte, what do you have for problem four?”

The girls in the room giggled.

“Two y squared parentheses one plus six y plus three x cubed.” Chuck looked up at her quizzically.

The teacher stared into her eyes for a moment. “Charlotte, stay after class.”

Lizzie peered over at Chuck. Concern was written across her face.

Chuck remained in her seat as the bell rang. “Did I do something wrong, Ms. Aldren?”

“No, child, of course not.” She was facing the opposite direction of Charlotte. “I just wanted to apologize for that rude name I called you.”

She shrugged. “I’m used to it.”

“You see, there was a girl not unlike yourself once. She had big glasses and headgear, but you should’ve seen what she could do…oh, yes. She had power. She just needed a cause to put it into like you seem to need.” She turned. Her eyes glowed red. “What do you say, Charlotte?”

“Away, bad spirit, gone ye now, make the girl forget just how!” A voice rang out as the teacher shied away from Chuck.

“Chuck…Chuck!” Lizzie shook her.

Her head was on her desk, not to mention it was throbbing. “Ow.”

“You can’t fall asleep in class! Do you want a detention? Ms. Aldren was fuming. Luckily, she said it was okay because of vacation.”

Chuck looked around. “Where is she?”

Lizzie helped Chuck shove her textbook into her backpack. “She needs to be in the halls during passing time. Geez, you’re out of it.”

Chuck tried to shake off her grogginess but it didn’t seem to fade. Her classes flew by as she was in a daze for the rest of the day.

“Here.” Lizzie outstretched a pink flip phone to her. “To call your parents to see about coming over?”

“Right…” Chuck dialed the DiRagno’s home phone, which she was instructed to memorize.

“Hello?” Mrs. DiRagno answered.

Chuck stated, “Um…it’s Charlotte. A friend from school asked me to go over her house. Is that okay?”

“That’s fine, Charlotte! Just be home for dinner.”

Chuck grimaced. She had secretly been hoping Mr. DiRagno would’ve picked up and harshly shot down the idea. “Thanks. I’ll see you then.” Chuck handed the girly thing back to Lizzie.

“So you like poetry, you don’t talk about your family or your interests, and your eyes have this weird swirling quality to them, not to mention your last name is Montgomery.” Lizzie stated.

Chuck cocked an eyebrow. “What are you getting at?”

“Stop hiding it, Chuck! It’s obvious.” Lizzie rolled her eyes. “I mean I get it. I’m one too.”

“An orphan?”

Lizzie was taken aback. “What? No! Come on don’t play dumb. You’re related to Fergus Montgomery for Pete’s sake. How long were you going to keep it to yourself?”

“How do you know my Poppy’s name? Are you stalking me?”

Lizzie grabbed Chuck by the shoulders. “Everyone in the community knows him, Chuck!”

“I think I’m going to go home. You’re scaring me.” Chuck tried to struggle out of her grasp.

“No one is going to hear you! Just admit it!”

“Admit what?” Charlotte replied, starting in the other direction.

Lizzie whispered frustrated, “That you’re a witch!”

“A what? You’re crazy!”

Lizzie grabbed her shoulder again. “Oh, really, so your brother wasn’t killed by witch hunters?”

“He died in a car crash, you lunatic! The same one that killed my parents and messed up my leg!”

Lizzie stated, “Oh, well, that’s a coincidence. But your grandfather was the greatest witch of his time!”

“My grandfather was a poet!”

“Yeah, and don’t spells have to rhyme?”

Charlotte backed up. “You’re insane! Witches aren’t real!”

“Explain your eyes then. Who else in your family had eyes that people were afraid to look into?”

“My Poppy, but that’s just genetics! Get- get away from me!” Chuck shuffled home as fast as her feet would carry her, away from that weirdo.



© 2011 Alex Thomas


Author's Note

Alex Thomas
Don't get too excited by all these uploads...Thanks for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, I am glad it's finally coming out :) Wonder why two girls the same age wouldn't BOTH know who they were though. Maybe Chucks parents were protective..good chapter :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

267 Views
1 Review
Added on January 18, 2011
Last Updated on February 9, 2011


Author

Alex Thomas
Alex Thomas

Boston, MA



About
I don't get on here much anymore. Here you can view my poetry, several short stories, some of my older work, and the beginnings of my second completed novel, Sleepwalker. To read the full novel and i.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Alex Thomas