Part Two: Chapter Thirteen

Part Two: Chapter Thirteen

A Chapter by Alex Thomas
"

Part Two: The Tiger

"

“Chuck…” Danny started, wrapping his arms around her waist. “When it comes down to it, you know…”

Chuck looked up at him. “What?”

“That you’re going to have to be the one…to, you know.”

Chuck furrowed her brow. “Clearly, I don’t.” She leaned back against him.

“You’re going to have to kill Eve.” His voice was hollow and solemn.

Her face fell. She hadn’t thought of this. “Something more would have to be done. I can’t just let her keep collecting, but she’s human. I don’t think I could just kill her in cold-blood.”

“Well, maybe if we sit down and have a nice chat with her, she’ll feel bad and she won’t do it any longer,” Danny snapped sarcastically. “You killed your adoptive parents, didn’t you?”

“They weren’t human. They were hybrids. And I wasn’t exactly trying to make a hobby of killing anyone who took me in.”

His voice filled with anger. “Took you in? Yeah, Eve took you in. Took you in her basement to torture you, took you in her car to remind you of the death of your family, took you in her bedroom to touch you. Yeah, she took you in, alright.”

“When it comes down to it, I don’t think I could do it, Danny. And as awful as she is, she has never tried to kill me before.”

“Chuck, are you actually defending her? Even you said you hated her.”

Charlotte curled her lip angrily. “Of course, I hate her, Danny! That doesn’t mean that I should kill her! I just think that there’s a way to stop this from happening again that doesn’t involve violence.”

“You’re being stupid. You need what’s necessary for the good of everyone else!”

“I am doing that! And I’m doing it without hurting anyone!” She yelled back.

Danny stomped to the door. He turned. “When you figure out how, let me know. Until then, I guess we’re stuck here. Thanks a lot, Chuck.”

Huffily, she exhaled. After pulling out her backpack, she reread Ellen’s last letter. “Why haven’t you been writing? Did I give you the wrong address?” An awful doubt trickled into her. “Maybe you just forgot.” Once she reread all of her well-wishing and casual conversation, she dropped the letter.

It fluttered to the floor, useless and meaningless. It was a thing of courtesy.

“How forgettable am I? Not important enough to write to? Just a stone that you can skip out of your memory? Forget…forget,” She repeated the word. “That’s it!”

Lauren walked into the room. “Everyone heard your little couples’ spat. Eve knows. Nice going, Charlotte. She’s coming right-”

Eve burst in and immediately dove at Chuck’s throat. “You vile, disgusting, little Witch! How dare you think you could leave!” She squeezed. Her grip was iron.

Chuck could barely gasp. Remembering how this was how her day had gone, she tried to think of another route out. Between the pain and the lack of oxygen, she wasn’t getting far. Using her good leg, she swung at Eve.

Eve clattered to the ground along with Charlotte’s glasses.

Swiftly, Chuck pounced on her before she could even move. “Not sick, nor ill, this is a sleeping pill?” She rhymed off the top of her head. She moaned when the spell proved itself to be useless. “Damn it.” She cursed.

“Nice try, b***h.” Eve yanked Charlotte off and pinned her against the wall. A slight cloud formed in her eyes. “Evan…” She whispered softly.

Grimacing, Chuck noticed Eve’s pale features, the dark streaks under eyes, the stringy quality of her hair.

Eve was losing it. She had been all summer. Slowly decaying into little more than someone who should be tucked away, hidden from society. Tears leaked from her eyes. “Oh, Evan. You’re okay. I never thought I’d see you again.” She gripped Chuck into a tight hug. “I love you, Evan. Never leave me.”

Charlotte understood finally, just how weak Eve was. Deranged with vulnerability and a thirst for power, she was barely as human as the DiRagnos.

Danny watched horrified from the end of the hall. “Ch-”

Quietly, Charlotte shushed him. “Evie, do you want to go lie down? I want you to help me sleep. I always sleep better in your bed,” Chuck cooed.

Eve smiled. “You haven’t called me Evie in so long. And you know, I am a bit tired.” She laid her arm across Chuck’s shoulders and led her into her bedroom.

Swallowing her fear, Charlotte tucked into the covers next to Eve. Once they were both settled, Chuck felt Ms. Lane’s body heat. She trembled.

“What’s wrong, Evan? That boy isn’t going to come between us again, is he?”

Charlotte stuttered, “N-no, I forgot all about him. I’m tired. I don’t really want to talk. I’d much rather sleep.” She closed her eyes. One of them peeked open to see if Eve had taken the bait.

Eve grinned at her. “I see you. What are you trying to do, silly?

“Rest a while, sleep now, it won’t make sense later or now.”

Before Eve could protest, her eyelids drooped and she began to snore softly. She seemed so still and tranquil.

Chuck assembled everyone in the kitchen. “We don’t have much time to get rid of everything magically significant. I’m not sure how long she’ll be asleep, but when she wakes up, she won’t be happy.” Charlotte pointed to Nat and Horton. “You guys take every magic book out of the kitchen. Lauren, you and Elise search the rest of the house for anything else. Hey, Greg, buddy,” Charlotte leaned down to his level. “I like those illusions you do.” Her voice was gentle. “There’s a room in the basement. Do you think you could make it disappear?”

His large brown eyes watered slightly. “No one has ever been so nice before. Do you want it to last forever?”

Chuck nodded, grinning. “Think you’re up to it?”

He beamed and scurried downstairs.

After standing, Charlotte turned to Danny. “You might want to go watch him.”

Danny’s eyebrows were raised. “You’re good at this.”

“Good at what?”

“Rallying the troops. Preparing for a no-battle. I’m surprised that you got everyone to listen to you.” He kissed her cheek. “And you’re going to?”

“Take care of Eve.” She replied darkly. Chuck pressed her lips on his gently. “Just in case. I love you.”

“I love you too.” He murmured into her ear. “Good luck. You’ll be fine.”

Chuck absorbed his words hopefully and headed up the stairs. She stood over Eve’s bed. She saw her peaceful and snoozing. Scrunching her face, it was so scary to see her so serene. Appalled, she shuddered at the scene. “Ready, Ms. Lane?”

Her bronze eyes popped open. She snarled, “Good morning, Charlotte.”



© 2011 Alex Thomas


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
Added on August 12, 2011
Last Updated on August 12, 2011


Author

Alex Thomas
Alex Thomas

Boston, MA



About
I don't get on here much anymore. Here you can view my poetry, several short stories, some of my older work, and the beginnings of my second completed novel, Sleepwalker. To read the full novel and i.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Alex Thomas