Part Two: Chapter Five

Part Two: Chapter Five

A Chapter by Alex Thomas
"

Part Two: The Tiger

"

Chuck stared in the bathroom mirror. Her green eyes were extremely bright, a sign of the strength of her powers that day. Rubbing her forehead, she sighed. She let down her hair. Chopped unevenly and greasy, the curl had nearly disappeared. Thin shallow cuts wrapped up her arms.

Eve had trapped her there for three days. The first day, she had taken it upon herself to give Chuck a haircut and a curling slice up her arms. The next two days were arguably worse. As Charlotte hung with her shoulders ready to dislocate, Eve chatted to her. Sometimes, hostilely she screamed as if everything was Chuck’s fault. Other times, it was gentle, almost a coo of adoration, but also of damnation. 

Either way, Charlotte decided that Eve Lane was the most terrifyingly unpredictable person that she had ever met and for whatever reason, Chuck Montgomery was her favorite target. Chuck folded her eyeglasses, setting them on the counter. She turned on the shower.

It was freezing as Eve often came into the bathroom to check her showers for an agreeable temperature, but it was also refreshing in the muggy heat of July.

It seemed this practice might be over as Chuck finished conditioning her hair without so much as the door opening.

However, the door creaked and slammed. The shower door opened. Eve snatched Chuck’s arm, yanking her out of the shower, sopping wet. “Here you go, boys. Nothing appealing about this, is there?” Eve pulled the girl forward before Charlotte truly realized what exactly was going on.

There were laughs and wolf-whistles from three of the boys that lived in the house. Only Danny turned away from Charlotte, seeing the confusion and embarrassment in her sweet face. He had returned to his ‘cover-everything’ garb.

“Look up, Danny. This is all you’re after anyway. Not anything more.”

Chuck struggled to cover her body, close to humiliated tears until Eve shoved her back into the shower.

“Hurry up! Stop wasting my water! If you’re late to dinner, then you don’t eat!” Eve stomped out of the bathroom. “Show’s over, boys! The hussy isn’t showing anything else tonight!” With her words, the boys stepped out disappointed except Danny.

“Chuck,” he called over the roar of the shower. “Don’t let her win.”

Eve popped back in. “Move it along, Scarface! That was a pity kiss, you know!” She dragged Danny out of the bathroom with minor strains from him.

Chuck finished quickly. She was already famished from not eating for the past few days and didn’t wish to miss another meal. After dressing, she sat at the table next to Danny who had taken up eating with Eve if it meant more time with Chuck.

Gently, Danny held and kissed Charlotte’s hand in an attempt to soothe her without words.

Eve tossed a sweatshirt at Charlotte. “Put it on.”

“But it’s blazing hot-” Chuck argued fruitlessly.

She stood. “Put it on, damn it!”

With a groan, Chuck slipped on the grey hooded sweatshirt. While she pulled her head through, the doorbell rang.

“Go get it,” Eve commanded to her. To hurry her along, she shoved down the pullover exposing Chuck’s head.

Down the hall, Charlotte answered the door too see the social worker walk in. Why had she put on the damn sweatshirt? She could just push up the sleeves to expose the cuts up her arms. Then she could take her out of this hellhole, Charlotte thought.

“How’s it going, Charlotte?” She grinned broadly so unaware of everything.

Chuck’s face turned grim. “I need to talk to you. It’s not working. Eve- Ms. Lane, she hates me and I don’t know why. Please, if you could find another foster home.”

“Charlotte, I’m sure that Ms. Lane doesn’t hate you.” The woman ruffled Chuck’s uneven hair. “I like what you’ve done with it.”

She hacked it off with a knife three days ago. She locked me in the basement! She chained me to a wall. Just look at my arms.” Chuck went to pull up her sleeves, but Eve pranced in at the perfect moment.

Her guise of loving foster mom was back. “Hello, again! Might I talk to you for a moment…alone? Chuckie, why don’t you go finish eating?” She kissed atop the girl’s head and pushed her gently off.

Chuck listened to their murmuring from the living room.

“She’s a dear, really. She just says things to get attention and it gets to me sometimes. And she’s so resistant to everyone except, oh, it’s just the cutest thing, she’s really smitten with one of the older boys here, but since he just turned seventeen, he’s really not all that interested. Still, sweetest little crush I’ve ever seen! She’s just a doll though. This was an excellent pick, Vanessa. I think I can help her a bunch.”

At this, Chuck fumed with anger. “How could she even believe all of that?”

“Chuckie, Mrs. Aaron wants to speak with you again.” Eve called, going back.

She scuffled out from her hiding place to greet the social worker. “She’s lying!”

“You don’t even know what she said, Charlotte. Look, this attention seeking that you’re doing is common, but you’re so much better than that, Chuckie. Oh, that is the cutest nickname! Eve thinks you’re great. She really wants you to open up to her.”

Charlotte whispered, “She just wants you to keep me here! Please, please, listen to me. Eve Lane is a mental case! She’s two-faced, bipolar, abusive-”

“I’ll check up on you again soon to see if you still feel that way. Just give her a chance, okay?” She ruffled Chuck’s hair again. “Love the haircut again, Chuckie. I’ll see you soon!” She left. That was her idea of a visit? She only dropped by for five minutes.

Disbelieving, Chuck stood in the doorway. She was stuck here because Eve Lane had a good reputation. Well, Eve Lane wasn’t going to break Charlotte Montgomery that easily not without the fight of her life. She returned to her meal, and ate quickly for fear that her words to the social worker would have major repercussions.

Once everyone started to scatter, Eve called to Chuck. She pinned her to the wall. “That wasn’t the deal.” She seethed each word like a breath of flames. “The next time that a social worker comes over, you are on your best behavior. Got it?”

Chuck spat, “Make me. Incita Colixa.” With her words, the plant on the kitchen counter caught fire until it was only a small pile of ashes. “That could’ve been you. Got it?” She retorted, looking up to meet Eve’s gaze.

“You stupid little witch! Your little tricks aren’t omnipotent, you know! I’d like to see you burned at the stake or better yet, left in a cage to rot.” She slapped Chuck.

The calendar behind Eve caught Chuck’s eye. The date. The twenty-third. Then tomorrow was the twenty-fourth. “I’m going to bed. Goodnight.” Her voice was somber as she climbed the stairs to go to bed.

Eve looked behind her. Just the calendar. She peered to the next day’s date. The twenty-fourth. Quickly, she whipped out her laptop, and typed in that date with the words, ‘Massachusetts car crash.’ There, it was. Montgomery family killed. Eve grinned to herself. “This is how I’ll break her.”

 



© 2011 Alex Thomas


Author's Note

Alex Thomas
Thanks for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am appalled. Did she seriously rip her out of the shower? My God I hope one of them doesn't try to rape her or something. Not that Eve would help her. Or that Chuck would need help since she's a beast with spells and all. And good LORD! That social worker needs to be fired. Stat.

I don't think I want to know what Eve will do to her. >:(

This is a short review but I think I summed it up pretty well. Good chapter.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
1 Review
Added on July 5, 2011
Last Updated on July 9, 2011


Author

Alex Thomas
Alex Thomas

Boston, MA



About
I don't get on here much anymore. Here you can view my poetry, several short stories, some of my older work, and the beginnings of my second completed novel, Sleepwalker. To read the full novel and i.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Alex Thomas