The Release

The Release

A Chapter by Brandon Lee Cochran

    Our blades held together, the molten rock of his blade pressed against the black and red of mine. I slid my blades down his in another shower of sparks. Aaron went for a lower slash trying to make contact with my gut. My blade blocked the blow in an awkward clang that left a vibration travel up my arm. He kicked out with his leg meeting my chest sending me back a good distance.
    I regained my balance and charged, both blades ready to block his next strike. Aaron lifted his hand, his palm facing out towards me and a pulse of hot coals hit my face making stumble back. I felt a sharp pain in my guy, searing hot causing more agony. I looked up to see Aaron's molten lava and rock face looking down at me.
    He backed away. Leaving his blade sticking through my gut. I stood, slowly and gripped the hilt of the blade. I pulled out the blade and threw it to the floor. Where the blade had impaled me began to heel. Flesh stitching together and armor molding back into one piece.
    I looked back at Aaron with a grin. ''How do you intend to kill something that has no life?'' I gripped my blades again, each one firm in my palms.
    Aaron met my gaze with one of his own, cold, hard, and full of sorrow. ''I may not be able to kill you. But that doesn't mean I can't take away something you love dearly.''
    He turned to a nearby be reaper taking it's scythe from it's armored hands. He stuck it down with a quick and powerful swing of the long blade. He ran over to the entry way of the exiting corridor. It took me a while to realize that he wasn't running away, but that he was going kill Angel. She may be immortal but a reapers scythe can drain any life force except that of Death it's self.
    I charged after him, my armored feet making little sound as I rushed toward Angel hoping to block him from her.
    I was too late. He got to her and mumbled ''Forgive me.'' and struck her down. The blade of the scythe when right into her heart and her eyes started to go dark.
    I pushed Aaron back and fell to my knees. "No. No!'' I cried out. I looked over to Aaron ''What have you done?'' my eyes were watering. I turned back to Angel. I leaned her against my lap. ''Don't go,'' I could feel the tears streaming down my cheek ''Please... don't leave me.'' I put my forehead to hers.
    I could feel her breath against my neck. It was fading slowly like her heart beat. Her mouth was opening trying to form words. ''What is it, my love.'' my words were hard to push out but I managed between sobs.
    I put my ear near her mouth in hopes I might understand what she was trying to say. Finally I understood. ''I love you....''
    I started to shake. ''I will not lose you again. You need to stay alive for our children.'' I could feel my face harden, though the tears still came.
    I dug the sharp fingertips of my gauntlets into my chest about where my heart would be. I could feel the spark of dark energy and shadow. Then my the flow of energy into my hand. Slowly I pulled away, a ball of sparking dark and crimson sparks and shadows was shifting in my palm. A trail of white was leading to the dark ball of energy from my heart. My life force was draining into it. I felt it flow from me as I began to turn weaker. I moved the ball over Angel's heart. Gently I guided it down into her chest into her heart and soul. Color was returning to her face and the fading light in her eyes was now growing back to normal.
    Once all of my life force was drained into her she gasped. Coming back to the world of the living. I fell back shaking from the coldness that overtook me. Angel got to her knees and looked at me. Now her eyes were the ones with tears in them. I put my hand to her cheek brushing away a descending tear.
    ''Why... why did you do this to yourself....'' she said already looking mournful.
    ''Because, I've already failed my duties,'' I said hoarsely. ''Take our people and our children and go to the Underworld.'' I took a needed breath and waited for the rest of my words to finally flow from my lips. ''This is no place for them. I tried to make them feel equal to the humans but instead I made things worse.... Raise our children... teach them the way of rightness and love.''
    The edges of my vision blurred as darkness started to condemn me. ''I love you....'' was the only last words I could voice.
    I felt Angels lips against mine and then it was all gone.


© 2012 Brandon Lee Cochran


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

295 Views
Added on September 7, 2012
Last Updated on September 7, 2012


Author

Brandon Lee Cochran
Brandon Lee Cochran

Terre Haute, IN



About
My name is Brandon Cochran, I'm a fictional writer. A lot of my writing contains vampires, demons, werewolves/lycans, or zombies. The characters in my book are based off of my friends and myself, with.. more..

Writing