The Show Down

The Show Down

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer
"

the ending

"

Benny slept on a pew at Saint Michael's, with the King James for a pillow, Benny vowed that the drinking stops tonight. Never again would he pass out in some doorway. For the first time since the funeral, Beth's face lingered in his imagination. In his mind, she wept for him, asking him to come home, his sweet, beautiful Beth. Her death pushed him into the bottle; tonight, he would climb out. In another life he towed a line that men followed, if he could, he would tow that line again.
   
  Looking at the church from the cross streets, Pete studied the towering mahogany doors. He knew Benny would be sleeping inside. Father Thomas never turned anyone away, especially Sgt. Benjamin Adams of the 104th. Pete decided this was the best place for the weary veteran. Pete fired up his F100, his next stop the art school, the place of origin. If more trouble started tonight, that seemed the most likely place. Pete wasn't ready to let his uncle eliminate the eyewitness. He would try to reason with Ed, that would be plan "A," plan "B," would break his father's heart. Once there, he parked on a side street with nothing but the darkness of night and time.


____________Ed and T.J. up to no good__________________
 
T.J. puffed a ring of smoke; it billowed and rippled. He puffed a second ring inside of it as he watched out the window. Ed's hat rested low across his face; he played out all the ways this might go down. All of them ended with the girl dead. "No way around it," he muttered.
 
"What was that?"
 
"Nothing. Just keep watch. Maybe another hour, if nothing happens we'll move on," but something did happen. T.J. popped an elbow in Ed's side. Ed pushed his hat back to see the girl step out of the squad car. "Well, I'll be," big Ed whispered.

 
The squad car rolled to a stop, as commands rolled from Jamie's tongue, "Wait here," He said, "while I escort Fern to her apartment. This won't take long, so, stay put."
 

 Fern looked back at the two of them, her gentle smile warmed their hearts, and Marion and Edith returned her smile. "Thank you, for helping me," Fern said, as she closed the car door. Finally, her eyes rested on Jamie's. They held the look just a little too long, at the same time, they gave each other a weak smile. Edith gave her husband a slight squeeze of the hand. She realized they had a front-row seat to something special.

 
 Fern unlocked the outer street door it led to a stairwell and her tiny apartment. At the top of the stairs stood a single door. Jamie shook his head, thought of his father, and smiled at the emerald green door. His smile deepened as the light revealed soft, charming colors. Eagerly he stepped inside. Pale buttery-yellow filled the room. The arrangement of three area rugs formed subtle changes in space according to its purpose; kitchen, living room, with a pop-up Murphy bed its cabinet doors painted like a bay window, complete with a bench that rested against it. This visual gave personality to the sitting. The mural framed a golden sunset that melted into a sea of color. The sandy shore of the painting revealed one set of footprints that lead toward the bay window. An actual studio apartment fit for an artist. Gentle strokes filled each canvas. Jamie broke his gaze, and began checking the room. He then made his way to the two doors on the other side.
 
The closet and bath, secured, he crossed to the only window. First thing Fern attended to was her art-set first, with ease it converted into a traveling case. She tossed several outfits in her suitcase while Jamie's eyes searched the area. Next, to the alley, he spotted an old Ford truck, at first glance, it looked occupied.
 "Hurry it along. We need to get back to the car."
 
"I'm almost ready."
 
Jamie assessed the street again and studied the black ford. He decided it had been empty. She grabbed the art case, and he grabbed the suitcase.
 
"Holy-crap, did you pack bricks?"
 
"No, of course not," Fern said, wrinkling her nose.
 
… and such a cute nose, he thought.
 

________________________________


 T.J. and Ed started to slip out the alley door, on the other side of it stood Pete. Both men stifled their surprise as two revolvers filled the gap in between.
 
"Hell son we could have shot ya."
 
"Well, you didn't, and me and you need to talk."
 
"Now is not a good time. Do us both a favor and disappear."
 
"We'll talk now, and without him."
 
"We'll T.J. you heard the man, go watch the window." Ed stepped into the alley leaving the door a jarred, so T.J. could hear. 


Pete was certain T. J. would be ease dropping, but let it go. "Look, boy, you did me a good turn tonight, but the two of us can't be joined at the hip."
 
"I don't want that. I never have. Back at the park, I got caught up in the moment. I didn't think, but now I've taken a hard look at things. I won't let you hurt Fern."
 

"We aren't going to hurt the girl." Only half his face drew up into a smile. 

 
"Don't play word games with me. I know what you plan to do."
 

Ed stepped further into the alley walking to the ford and leaned against it, forcing his nephew to turn his back to the door of the barbershop. Ed noticed the alleyway door now stood open just a bit more than before. "Look it's too late for remorse. You picked your side. Now deal with it."
 

 Pete turned to face his uncle. "I intended to."
 
The smirk on Ed's face morphed into a snarl. "Do ya now." Ed's eyes traveled up and past Pete. Pete turned in that direction.
 
Light's out, said the lead pipe in T.J.'s hand. The two worked their way around the corner of the building to get a better view of the squad car. Opportunity demanded action they may not get a better chance than this. "Why not end it now two shots and gone, not a bad plan."
 
"Not a great one either, but I'm game if you are, one cop, one girl. A busy night even for us," T.J.'s thin lips pasted into a smile.
 
Fern locked the outer street door of her apartment. The two silently walked in step with each other. Jamie fished out his trunk key. She waited for him to pop the trunk. A wave of fear had her step just a little closer to Jamie.
 
 
"Uncle Edward! Drop it!" shattered the silence, with no one insight a shot rang out from the side street, a rapid response replied as a second shot retorted.
 

"Get my parent's and lock yourselves upstairs," Jamie ordered, pulling his revolver, then pacing off the distance. He kept his eyes straight ahead. Big Ed Matthews busted the corner, arm dangling, blood pouring from his shoulder, next to him stood T.J. smoke still rested on the barrel that swung toward Jamie.

 
T.J. spewed threats and trash, from his mouth. Jamie released one shot, then focused his revolver on Ed, who allowed his weapon to fall to the sidewalk, as he melted to a seated position. Jamie stepped closer and kicked the .38 out of reach.
 
"Who fired the other shot?"

 
Ed motioned his head toward the alley, "My nephew Pete, I don't think he made it, T.J. hit him dead center."
 

Jamie leaned his head around the corner to see a young office fanned out on the sidewalk.
 

A deep painfilled grunt escaped his throat as he saw the uniform. Jamie needed to check on the officer down, but he needed to secure Ed first. He returned his attention on Ed to find the old crook had pulled a derringer .45/.410 from an ankle holster, the snake slayer a 2 shot mini cannon, is both accurate and deadly.
 
 
Ed cocked an eyebrow, extended his arm, both men jerked their heads to the sound of a shotgun racking around. That sound trumps all others, Marion stood five feet from the two men with the shotgun he got from his son's squad car. "Well, lad cuff the b*****d, so, we can check on your man."
 
 
 Bedroom lights popped on up and down the block. The three-way standoff only took seconds. The body count should have been five, but this night death was careless and only claimed the two, well three if you count Tony.

 
Jamie holstered his sidearm and rushed to the uniformed officer. Immediately, Jamie recognized the rookie, he checked for vitals, then keyed his mic, "I have an officer down, give me an ambulance three times. Running hot for one, 10-66 (M.E.) on two. Notify the Watch-Commander, start him my way."
 

Pete's uniform shined under the streetlight. Blood fanned around Pete's head like a crimson halo. The red blood off-set by the snow which faded to pink slush. Pete's lifeless body shook his own mortality. A painful reminder of the weight of the badge and its dangers.

 
Marion walked up to his son and lightly touched his shoulder. "Oh, that's the young man who came to the house earlier tonight... I'm sorry."
 

 "So am I." Jamie looked up to see Fern frozen in place, and he began walking her way.



© 2020 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

strong closing ... moves me on the the next chapter .. one battle won .. a romance in bloom ... the good guys are still OK ... love it! the Colt .410 is a very large hand gun called the Taurus Judge .. it also shoots .45 cal. rounds ... I think most who carry on the ankle would choose a smaller, lighter, more comfortable fit ... of which there are many to choose from ... ;) i agree with others about story line, and character development .. top o' the mahrnin' to ya Cherrie!
E.
E.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

:) Colt also makes a 2 shot 45 /.410 called the Snake Slayer (I was trying to be to brief with the i.. read more
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

yes .. that would be believable .. I have seen the snake slayer ... i believe its made by Bond Arms .. read more
Awesome chapter loves the battle scene of the gunplay. you are one of the best writers here on this site that I like reading. the detail is amazing so is the story from top to bottom. the characters or life driven and well defined. Moving on to the next chapter. Please be kind and return the love.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


WOW! I'm very impressed with the way your entire story fit together, linking two seemingly unrelated worlds seamlessly. Your ability to tell a story thru mostly compelling action is remarkable. Your characters are well-developed & they act in ways that are believable for the characters you present. There was that one part of a chp where this felt a little like a typical cop investigative story, but for the most part, I love that you do NOT follow the common patterns for this genre which can be so predictable. The reason it does not feel like a cop story is becuz you show your characters with more depth & in a more layered way. Typical cop stories tend to present each character in sort of a flat way. That's why I love the richness of the way you build a story with depth & tapping into all the senses (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

You know I didn't think of this as a cop story.
I seldom do see the story that way (weird). .. read more
dear Cherrie... I am thinking that you could be a Playwright... perhaps
a Script for a movie... I would imagine... it need not be a Novel first...
since there is so much action and background to include in the movie.
You could submit it, but mail a Copy to yourself in a sealed large brown envelope (unopened)
and mail it to yourself first... to have as a Copyright with the date posted on the Envelope
when it is mailed to your address. Do not open the sealed envelope until such time as you need Proof that you wrote the Story on the "date posted" on the envelope mailed to you. Cherrie, you are very talented. My Mother's name was Edith and I named my daughter "Edie". She loves her name. My daughter Edie named her daughter Madeline after my Mother's younger sister Madeline. By the way, I "googled
"Playwright submission" and there are a lot of possibilities... perhaps there may be one that you could trust,
or you may have a better "Source" to find out whom to submit your Story. Bless you. hugs, Pat


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I never thought of that. I've never written a piece long enough to be considered a noel. I don't kno.. read more
Patricia Wedel

4 Years Ago

someone could recognize your talent... Send it as an Excerpt. That way, no one could plagerize you.. read more
Patricia Wedel

4 Years Ago

By the way, Cherrie... someone could steal your Novel. Hold out for being a Playwright. By sending.. read more
Much more. detail between Pete and Ed hard to figure out how tj slipped behind him this version easier to see how everyone drew their line in the Sand Also made Pete more respectable also Bennie given a reset a new lease on life this climax broader not as sharp edges more tinge of redemption

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I'll work on smoothing out the alley scene.
I want to set it up where Ed crosses to the truc.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I sorta liked the simplicity of the first ending, but wanted a little more.
My favorite story by far absolutely loved the 1st 2 chapters Marion quite the guy just loved the descriptiveness and mystery to me it rang like a nostalgic past of the 40s a real black and white thriller so many elements of suspense woven in So deeply with the plot and characters not nice to twist a good cop into a bad 1 who saw that coming and the ending not your typical double cross. but a twisted lovers cross excellent work from beginning to end I could go on but let them read it for themselves

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Kent Rawski

4 Years Ago

You couldn't make this any better
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I have to some out some verbiage here and there. I ve reworked a few sentences that just feel bulky .. read more
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

if you get a chance tell me if this version is better.
Enjoyed reading this very well written. Well done.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 4 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

Thank you, I still need to fill it in a bit but it's close.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 14, 2019
Last Updated on August 30, 2020


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Couplet~ Couplet~

A Poem by lightsong