Shadow Takes Shape

Shadow Takes Shape

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

“How long were you a tree?” the boy asked, as Willow inserted the skeleton key.

“Since your Momma was a baby.”

“Wow,” He said emphatically, “that is a long time.”

“Not to a tree,” she said rubbing a hip, “but to my old bones it feels like a very long time. Your days on earth are about to change. Time spent with the mural is deceptive. Our family has always been realm-watchers. We maintain the doors between, and now it is your turn. You will maintain the mural. You may even change its overall persona. It is our connection to each world. The gateways to the seasons and beyond.”

“Beyond what?” he asked.

“Well, we will worry about that later on,” she said and swung open the attic door.

“Uhhh,” Both inhaled sharply. A vast wall of blackness consumed the hallway. Willow slammed the door shut. “Go look out the window?” she commanded.
James ran over to the window, “nothing, I see nothing. Man, that’s got ‘a be bad,” he yelled.

A small bulge of black protruded from the keyhole. Without a second thought she placed the key in the hole pushing out the Darken. With ease it changed its tactic and wafted under the door.

“Quick, use the webbing to block the mist,” she said, and he did.

Willow walked over to the chest and James followed. She removed a rag and the Klen-strip spirits. Then began studying the murals. In the top corner of the Autumn painting was a patch of mold.

“Here is your Darken. This is what happens if the mural is not tended to.” Willow dabbed the cleaner on the rag and removed most of it.

"Why does the chest always has something different in it? "

"Not to sound funny but it is your 'hope chest' giving you what you need. Now, be a dear, and help me reach that spot in the corner."
Not matter how hard she scrubbed the one spot persisted.

They glanced out the window where Bernice could now be seen. The little squirrel peered in observing them. “So, you want a horse, do you?” She asked. “Well grab a charcoal pen and let’s get started.”

James had always been good at sketching, but those sparkles on his hands began to shine, and his hand moved with ease. He completely encased the mold in a sketch of a winged black horse. He added a hackamore hoping this would help him ride the brut. “I dub thee, Brutus King of the Brumbies.”

“King?” she asked.
He nodded.

“I guess this means you will be adding more horses?”

“Absolutely,” the boy said.

“Wings?” She inquired as he smiled.

“Well let’s see if Brutus did the trick,” and as they reopened the door the stairwell awaited, and they quickly went to the room where his parents were sleeping.



© 2022 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm afraid I was a bit lost in the tale coming in at this point but the writing here is exceptional. This has a fantasy feel of childish exhilaration. I like the "King of the Brumbies" line. I wouldn't have known what the word meant if I weren't such an avid fan of the movie, "Australia". Well done.

Posted 10 Months Ago


Dear Cherrie, you are a fine story teller. Have you had practice with children? :) Reminds me of my Dad, though he used to delight in making his stories so sad we all ended up crying as kids:) I enjoyed my visit today.

Chris

Posted 10 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

10 Months Ago

Oh yeah kids and grandkids. Lots of storytelling:)
Nicely done Cherrie. I'm glad the darken didn't win and was put in its place, and he got a horse out of it too! Win win as they say.
I bet hell be paying very close attention to cleaning it from now on 😊

Posted 10 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

10 Months Ago

We use to raise horses 🐎. Seemed like a good way to incase and harness the problem (well if you'.. read more
Smiling! This is just an awesome magical story!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Nice job! The imagery is great. I love your story telling!

Posted 1 Year Ago


It always touches me when I read a story for children when there is a bond between a child and an elderly, the connection between them can be so strong and special, a true meaning of "two worlds join together", the child gives the pure and enthusiastic essence, the old gives the wisdom and safety. it was a delightful and sweet story to read my friend, well written with simplicity and magical imagination. well done dear Poetess Willow :>

Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 29, 2022
Last Updated on May 10, 2022


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Gratitude Gratitude

A Poem by Chris Shaw