Willow in the Attic

Willow in the Attic

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

The heavy aroma of cedar filled the space, coupled with the faint smell of painting supplies that was not there before. The overlapping darkness rushed over the boy. With his racing heart, and trembling hands he felt around the encloser. With all his might he pushed the lid open. He exploded up and out of the chest. With a thud he sprawled out on the floor. The impact so abrupt the parchment and woven web of light bounced out from where he had tucked them away.

Stunned to find himself back in the attic, he ran his fingers through his hair. He wondered if the day would get any stranger. Then he nodded, because the answer was obvious. He reached for the two items. Glancing down at the parchment he noticed it no longer bore the fingerprint seal, also the ring was void of its mark. James rose to his feet. He looked around the room. The murals had subtle changes. The ceiling stars faded to a ghostly outline. As a blazing sun filled the center of the space. The Winter portrait had circles of snow prints in it. The woman from the painting had been replaced with James and his blue-eyed dog. As James studied the supplies in the chest he knew what to do. In the bottom of the cedar chest, he found a wax seal kit: a match, a candle with bits of the forest in it. James’s saw, pine needles, twigs, a dragonfly wing, a lily from the water, a fall leaf and a paint brush. The amber colored candle was coated in sparkles. When he touched the shining dust soaked into his hand. Quickly, he lite the candle and the stars above raised their voices. He dripped a splash of wax on the parchment and on the ring. James pressed his thumb to both. Waves of giggles filled his mind, and the gentle breeze swirled at his ear. “That’s the way,” the wind whispered, and the tress in the mural swayed.

"Your wait is over," the wind told the Willow.

The woman vanished from each mural. For a second it seemed
each drawing of her settled over the painting on the tree. The tree steadily faded. Until Willow appeared in the attic holding the key. The woman looked very old, but her grey-green eyes sparkled.

“Hello James,” his Great-Aunt said with a smile, “shall we go and wake your parents?”

She reached for his hand, and he took it. “Once we are done. I will help you understand the mural.”

Yes, I would like that, but-”

“But what?” she asked.

“Do I get to keep Dash?”

“As long as you tend to the painting you will.”

“Well than, can I have a horse as well?”

A warm laugh filled the room, “hold your horses cowboy. First things first. Let’s go check on your folks. Then we can go over the rules.”


© 2022 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

And that should be a lesson to all kids... Keep your room clean and tidy or the daren will come get you! 😊
Ps... Not all kids are messy though, I understand that, just as some aren't that young either. I'll be back to finish the last chapter once I go clean my room. 😊

Posted 11 Months Ago


Cherrie Palmer

11 Months Ago

Well. Okay then. You better get a night light just incase you shoved it under the bed.
Cherrie, I love what keeps happening in the story! Love the magic!

Posted 1 Year Ago


The tale keeps getting better and better!

Posted 1 Year Ago


What's better than a magical Attic for a magical children story? and we are now heading to the magical end... :>

Posted 1 Year Ago


Wow.. Cherrie... you have touched my Heart from the Attic in my Childhood. It is an integral part of my early Life. Now that I am almost elderly... I can appreciate each syncopated couplet of your wonderful Novel that I must confess I will surely have on my reading List. tenderly, Pat p.s. We had a walk-in Closet paneled in Cedar.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

I'll write a few more of these. It's been fun my little bedtime story. I've been writing a chapter .. read more
Patricia Wedel

2 Years Ago

Whoa… I may become an avid reader of “Cherrie’s Classics”. Wish I was as well versed as you.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Just keep asking yourself "then what happens" 🙂

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 26, 2022
Last Updated on April 26, 2022


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mystery Mystery

A Poem by Sami Khalil


Aris Aris

A Poem by Tate Morgan





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114