20 Days til Christmas . . .

20 Days til Christmas . . .

A Chapter by Emily B

Dear Anna,

I am stuck indoors watching it rain. Pulling stitches and hemming handkerchiefs again. I wonder sometimes if I will ever learn to make a neat hem. I wonder other times if I will ever last all the way until Christmas.

Sometime this afternoon, when Granny isn't looking, I'm going to sneak my handwork out of here. Maybe if I hide it well enough she will forget to task me with it. Where wouldn't she look? I could maybe cover it over where the chickens roost in the hen house. Or slip it behind the jars of pickles in the cellar.

There are letters waiting in the hall. Sneaking looks at the postmark, I know they are from family far away accepting our invitations to Christmas dinner. I can’t wait to see the family that I’ve not seen for months. And Pap will be here, maybe with a shiny coin for each of us.

Until tomorrow,

Anna


 



© 2012 Emily B


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like how you have taken me into the story. As if it is a letter to me.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Simple pleasures are the very best, as in the shiny coin. Again, I must commend you for your imagery... Truly, you took me there, and I want to come to dinner, so please set an extra place setting... Oh, and the rain....fresh and exilarating!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 29, 2009
Last Updated on November 7, 2012


Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B


Memories Memories

A Poem by Emily B