4 Days til Christmas . . .

4 Days til Christmas . . .

A Chapter by Emily B

Dear Anna,

 

The skies were clear today and so we walked out into the woods to cut holly and pine boughs. Our laughter rang like sleigh bells as we ran and skipped and played. We gathered baskets full of greenery to carry home and decorate mantles and window sills. We looked for the perfect pine, soon it will be time to trim the tree.

 

When we got home, we had barely got in the door and started taking our muddy boots off when Mama appeared hands on her hips. Quickly I tried to think of what I could have done. I haven't hid my sewing for days and weeks. I've made my bed and fed the chickens.

 

She said, "Miss Anna, you had a gentleman caller today." I thought maybe it was a mistake, because I don't know any gentle-men. She said, "he brought you writing paper and a pencil set, he said Merry Christmas to his littlest volunteer. Anna Louise, what on Earth have you gotten into?"

 

Oooh, I thought, it must have been Mr. Whiskers. I had to confess to my adventure to the soldier's hospital. And now I'm sitting in my room until she composes her mood again. She didn't even tell me if I get to be a volunteer.

 

Christmas is every day closer,

Anna



© 2012 Emily B


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have captured the innocence of your character who doesn't really understand the turmoil that is going on....she is focused on Christmas and the 10 year olds preoccupation with the holiday doings.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh, I love this passage! Clear skies, walking out into the woods to cut holly and seek mistletoe... I can just envision the beauty of the greenery...so lovely. Ed Hart is right...a picture painted with words...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


a picture painted with words...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
3 Reviews
Added on December 29, 2009
Last Updated on November 7, 2012


Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B


Memories Memories

A Poem by Emily B