Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Justine Snyder

Chapter 1


“I can’t control her.” Said a woman to herself, as she looked out of the window. She seem to stare into the distant, thinking deeply as a look of distress crossed her face. The woman stood in a round, open room with only one door at the end. Tall magnificent glass window one after another lining all around the room letting the sun's rays brighten the room in a lucent glow on the polished marble that covered the from ceiling to the floor.

A woman of significant wealth and power, her golden blonde hair like spun gold curled down her back. Soft gray eyes looked like water in the morning faint light. Round child-like face, skin light as a peach. Covered in a long, white silk dress to the floor, spectacular beauty, lying just off her shoulders crossing in the front to a bow in the back and tail down the length of the dress. The sleeves were long and wide covering her hands as she stood. The only jewelry was a golden choker around her neck with a hanging clear round crystal gem attached to it.

“She is mine own daughter and I have no control over her.” Stated the woman as she slowly turned from the window. She raised her hand to push back her hair from the side of her face, there was a red discoloration from a strike to her face. At that moment, her eyes rose to the doorway of the room, she noticed that someone was standing there now. A young girl was there, the woman’s daughter.

The girl’s golden amber eyes were wide in alarm as she stared at her mother. Her golden blonde hair was straight, tied back with a white cloth, reaching the middle of her back. She wore a white dress like her mother, but plain with yellow short sleeves and a yellow belt around her small waist. She blinked hard then rushed over to her mother. Her mother just sat down at the white marble bench in front of the window. “Mother!” exclaimed the young girl. “What happened?!”

“Oh my dear Karina…” stated her mother as she looked up at her with watery eyes. She couldn’t hold back her emotions even if she didn’t want her daughter to see her like this. “It’s nothing to worry about.”

“It was Reyna, wasn’t it?” questioned the young girl, Karina, very direct.

“She is only headstrong. She really means no harm.” Explained her mother.

“You can’t really hide behind that excuse, can you? I’m not a child anymore, nor am I a fool. But I can’t believe that the Great Lady Adiya is doing what she is doing now.” Explained Karina to her mother, Adiya.

Adiya produced a little laugh as she smiled at Karina. “Oh, child, you are acting like an adult already when you haven’t even acted like a young woman yet.” Then she paused for a moment. “Reyna is just rebelling like so many children do.”

“Don’t lie to yourself mother, she is mad.” Stated Karina.

Promptly, Adiya stood up, towering over her daughter by nearly a foot. “Please Karina, don’t speak about your sister like that.”

“I don’t know how you can protect her after what she does to you. She strike you, her own mother. She isn’t right, she has openly stated that she wants to change the world. And not for the better, she has the power and insanity to do it.” Explained Karina.

Adiya turned her head as tears slide down the sides of her face. She couldn’t stand the truth that her daughter spoke. It was true, everyone knew it and she couldn’t hide it anymore. She couldn’t keep denying herself the truth that she had to come and face now. She just really praying for some many nights for her to have her normal Reyna back. The normal child that she would hold in her arms for hours as a baby, as the little girl she would play with in her garden. But because of her decisions, she lost that part of her child so long ago and she know that nothing in this world could change that.

Karina touched her mother’s hand. “I’m sorry, mother. I shouldn’t have said those things. You know the truth more than I. I don’t have to tell you.” Apologized Karina as she let go of her mother’s hand and turned away from her. “I just get so furious that Reyna could have that black of a heart. She enjoys all of this madness she surrounds herself in. I can’t believe that she is truly your child and my sister.”

Adiya placed her hands on Karina’s shoulder. “Yes, I know. But there isn’t much that I can’t do. I dread to say that she is stronger than me, there is no way that I can stop her now.”

“I will help you, mother.”

“No, I don’t want my children fighting against each other. This is my job to take care of.”

“But now are you going to do it?” questioned Karina worried.

“I don’t know, but I will think of something. You know that I will and everything will go back to normal.” Explained Adiya as Karina turned to face her, Adiya smiled convincingly down at her.

Karina returned a bright smile up to her mother. “I know that you will because I believe in you, mother.” Then Karina wrapped her arms around her mother’s waist, hugging her tightly.

“Now go, I have a lot to think about.”

Karina nodded and left the room, quickly to leave her mother to her thoughts. She understood that her mother didn’t want her to help. Karina knew that Reyna wasn’t normal, she wasn’t well in her mind, killing anyone enjoying it, surrounding herself in thick darkness. Her mother worried that Reyna would harm Karina, but Karina worried more that Reyna would kill their mother.

Karina rushed down the hallways of the bright lit castle that was her home from the time of her birth. The light gray bricks were always clean and window after window brought the sunlight from outside in. Candles lit the hallways deeper in the castle. Cloth of symbols and painting of her family and ancient times lined the walls and decorated the castle.

The castle was her home, she was in love with every part of it. She cared for it like it was a living thing. It held so many years of history and stories in each room, each door and every brick. It was big enough to get lost in. Each of Adiya’s three children held a part of the castle to themselves. Karina was to the northern part and Reyna to the southern half of the castle. Caleb stay to the western part of the castle but spend most of his time with Reyna. Their mother stayed to end of the east so she would see every sun rise from the moment the sun’s rays from come over the horizon. Reyna was the oldest daughter of the Great Lady Adiya at 18 years old. Karina was after Reyna, the second daughter at 14 and Caleb the youngest and only son of Adiya at 11 years old.

Karina felt a cold chill of the dark magic that surrounds her sister’s territory as she entered it. She hated what her sister had done to the place. Black and dark colors hung all over the walls and the pictures hiding the brillant beautiful of the castle covering it in disturbing torture and death. It made Karina sick to her stomach as she learned not to look at them. Just kept telling herself, just look straight ahead all of the way.

Then when Karina reached the door to her sister’s room, she stood in front of it. She had a great fear of her sister, but now she couldn’t let it get to her. She had to be strong for mother. “Here is goes…” whispered Karina.

Karina pushed the heavy, dark wooden door open without knocking like she would always do. Quickly storming into the room but she was stopped in her tracks from the sight of her sister and brother with a loyal farmer from the town near the castle. Reyna held a dagger in her hand as she laughed and Caleb stood watching eager by her side, their backs to Karina.

“Here is your chance, begger.” Stated Reyna in a low, cold voice. The farmer fell down onto his knees and started to pray.

“Please don’t harm me, my lady.” Reyna stepped forward and kicked the man in the side, he hit the floor staying down.

“I’m not your lady of this castle! I will never be! I’m your master!” exclaimed Reyna then she stepped back with a smile. “Now are you going to change your mind?”

The farmer got back upon his knees looking up at her. “Never! I’m sorry, but I will not turn my back on the Great Lady Adiya. I’m not going to let you do this. I will not let you control anyone anymore.”

“Well then you will just have to die. Are you prepared to face a death so soon, so cold?” questioned Reyna.

“Kill me if you must, but I’m not the only one that knows of your plans. Your darkness will never win, you will never raise an army and defeat your mother. The Great Lady Adiya will stop you before you can do anything. So you can kill me but it will do nothing to help you. I'm ready to face a death for the Great Lady Adiya, that's why I had the courage to come and face you.” Explained the farmer.

Reyna just laughed at him as she gripped the dagger tighter in her hand then she let her hand fall to her side as she walked over to him. “Stand up and go.” She ordered him.

The farmer quickly got to his feet. “Thank you, Lady Reyna. I knew that you would do the right thing. You are a child of light, after all.”

Suddenly Reyna thrust the dagger into the farmer’s belly and she giggled a little as he cried out in pain. “Light is weak, as weak as my mother, the Great Lady Adiya. But I’m different then her, I’m greater. I will use this power to take everything that I want. Unlike my mother who using you people to hide behind. You people are of no use to me, but to kill for fun.” Stated Reyna as she pulled out the dagger and the farmer fell to the floor aside of her bleeding out onto the stone floor.

“Reyna that was great! You tricked him to think that you were going to let him go, but I know that you weren’t!” shouted Caleb.

She turned to face him with a smile. “That was nothing. Wait until I teach you some great moves.” Karina just from behind the wall, peeping over the corner looking at the body in fear as her fale drained of color. Her eyes moved to Reyna as she saw her handing the bloody dagger to Caleb.

“Stop this!” screamed Karina as she walked out from behind the wall.

 

 



© 2009 Justine Snyder


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on July 8, 2009
Last Updated on August 1, 2009


Author

Justine Snyder
Justine Snyder

Lehighton, PA



About
I have been writing as long as I remember, I have years of journals for events in my life and thinks about everything and anything around me. Most of the time, I'm in my own world, I have been told th.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Justine Snyder