Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Justine Snyder

Chapter 8

-Tokala, the Demon Priestess


Tokala sat in front of a life-size statue of a woman in the same position, the statue was of the Water Maiden. Aside of her statue on each side was overside statues of foxes, not normal foxes, demon foxes. These demons served under the goddess of water doing her wishes because she saved their kind in ancient times. But this temple, Tokala swore to guide the people and protect them, as her mother did before her. Before she was killed by thieves that rule this kingdom, this kingdom of chaos. Her fighting makeup was washed off from her face.

Then a young girl entered the room through a siding door, kneeled at the doorway. Tokala’s room was always in order, the main part held the statues with paper lanturns all around it. A side talbe with a tea set on it low to the ground, pillows on the floor as chairs to sit on. Two siding doors at the end of the room one to Tokala’s bedroom with a soft mat on the floor. The other to a dressing room with all her clothes and makeup set. “Time for dinner, Lady Tokala.” Stated the young girl.

Tokala opened her emerald green eyes and narrowed them. “I’m not hungry, Yoko.” She stated coldly. But Yoko, her young serving girl got used to her cold outside, still looking up at her as a great priestess that she was, then if she looked different.

“But your father wants you to join everyone for dinner, he orders it.” Stated Yoko.

Tokala quickly stood and faced Yoko. “Really? When did he start thinking that he could order me around?” Yoko remained silent. “He only looks to me as a daughter because I’m the one that saves this temple time after time.” Stated Tokala angrily then shook off the thought. “Sorry, I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok, Lady Tokala. I understand why you would be upset.” Tokala closed her eyes for a moment then headed out of the room to a covered deck that wrapped around the whole building as Yoko followed behind her. As Tokala entered the dining hall, everyone from the temple was there. Everyone stared and got very quiet as she walked up to the main table where her father sat waiting for her.

Tokala got used to the silent as she entered rooms, with a name like demon priestess that hung around her. With never seen before pale blonde hair and green eyes that no one around here had, not even her own mother and father. Some said it was a sign of a blessing, other the mark of the beast. Her own name Tokala meaning fox. Most thought that one of the Water Maiden’s fox demons was her true father, her hair looked just like their fur. Like stories from ancient times and even now, they knew of the fox demons and other demons. They still roamed this land many on the side of the thieves, many in which Tokala killed, so she had to be a demon to be able to beat them.

Tokala sat down on the empty pillow aside of her father. “Oh my girl. That is my girl, Tokala.” He stated. Tokala just stared at him coldly as he wore gold jewels and gems and the finest robes. He only ruled this temple for the money after her mother was killed. After he sent her to her death, he took it, for the fame and all the money he could get from it. “Your mother must have of been a demon to make you this way. Maybe she was a fox in disguse, and that’s where you get that hair. What a great fighter and a great priestess.”

“Odd, I would think that you were the demon here.” Tokala snapped. Without warning her father slapped her across the face but it didn’t seem to bother her.

“Don’t mock me, demon!” he exclaimed. “Don’t think I’m afraid of you.”

“But I do scare you. That I could kill you without any regret in my heart. Most people would thank me for killing you. Because you don’t have any followers here, you never did. They are here for the Water Maiden and my mother.” Stated Tokala in an eerily low cold voice. Her father rose his hand to strike her, but she grabbed his wrist and twisted his arm until he cried out in pain. “You will never pain another person here. And now it is time for you to pay for you did to my mother and her unborn child. Your mistake was not killing me instead, but then who would save this temple time after time. I’m her inner demon, I will do what she couldn’t do years ago.” Stated Tokala as she let go of his wrist then twisted his neck until it snapped them letting him fall dead on the floor. Everyone there stood up cheering as they approached Tokala.

“Finally, your mother’s and her unborn child killer is put to his death.” Said one priest.

“He sold her to the thieves and now her spirit can truly rest. She gave you the power, the Water Maiden truly blessed you to save this temple and even this kingdom.” Said one of the woman.

Tokala nodded then left the room, not that she wasn’t happy that everyone was safer now. But all she wanted was to be alone for a moment. She took no joy in fight or killing anyone even if they were evil, it was a life. She did it as her duty evil can’t be allow to consume the world if people won’t change to good, she was forced to kill them. It just had to be done, Tokala entered her room heading straight to the back laying down on her bed.

Soon falling into a sleep that made her wish she never had to sleep. Lightning consuming the darkest night, blood soaked into everything, claws and sharp fangs. Fire roaring and the echo of screams from all around. Demons, dreams of demons, of fox demons. The smell of blood so real in her dream, it make Tokala’s heart race like she craved it. Suddenly Tokala sat up awake in a cold sweat breathing heavy. Why can’t I be normal? What type of person dreams like that? No human would, that was the problem. Tokala stood up walking outside as the sky was just beginning to raise on the far mountain sky. She walked over to the temple’s lake looking out at the water, calming her.

Tokala’s eyes snapped open as she sensed someone behind her. She quickly spun around drawing a hidden short knife from inside her sleeve. Putting the knife to the person’s throat, it was a woman fair and beauty in a white silk dress and flowing blonde hair, not a person from this Kingdom. “Will you kill me?” asked the woman.

“Do you wish me too?” asked Tokala.

“No.”

“Then what do you want here?” asked Tokala placing the knife back into her sleeve.

“I’m here to see you.” Stated the woman.

“That I already know that, my question is why?” asked Tokala.

“I’m Lady Adiya, I’m here so that you can come with me. Come with me and save this world from this growing evil.” Stated the woman, Adiya.

“Really? I’m sorry, Lady Adiya. I have enough saving from evil to do here.” Said Tokala as she walked passed Adiya.

Adiya grabbed her shoulder to stop her then Tokala faced her again. “You killed your father, why?”

“That is none of your business.”

“You didn’t want to kill him that’s why you waited so long. But you killed him for what he became after evil entered his heart. And for that evil it caused your mother’s death. Sold her out, he may as well of put a blade through her heart himself.”

“Wouldn’t you do the same for the good of the people you need to protect.”

“Maybe I should but I don’t have the heart to do it. But you do, that’s what matters. You did it not just for your mother but for the people here, putting your needs last. I need you to help me. To defeat an evil so that you can protect this temple from it.” Stated Adiya. “Something that the ‘Demon Priestess’ can help me with.”

“If you are for good, why would you want a demon on your side?” asked Tokala.

“Not all demons are evil just as not all humans are good. It is the person they are decides who they will be. You should know that more than anyone, in this world that you live in. You have seen more than enough demons and humans good or bad.” Explained Adiya.

“What about the temple when I’m gone? I can’t just leave my people.”

“Trust me, they can hold it safe until you return to them, I will tell them. They will look forward to the return of their leader.” Said Adiya.

“Fine, Adiya. I will go along with this until I’m tired of it.” Stated Tokala.

“Thank you, Tokala.” Stated Adiya then with a bright flash of light they were gone.

Then they appeared in the temple of the Elements. Tokala noticed two older girls with one younger girl waiting in the room in silence. “You have to wait here. I have one more girl to go get.” Stated Adiya.

Tokala nodded then with a bright flash of light, Adiya was gone again. Tokala looked around the room studying her surroundings. She walked passed the other girls without a word and stood in front of the statue.

 

 

 



© 2009 Justine Snyder


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on July 21, 2009


Author

Justine Snyder
Justine Snyder

Lehighton, PA



About
I have been writing as long as I remember, I have years of journals for events in my life and thinks about everything and anything around me. Most of the time, I'm in my own world, I have been told th.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Justine Snyder