Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Justine Snyder

Chapter 2


Adiya sat back down on her marble bench after her daughter, Karina, left her alone in her room again. Adiya was in deep thought about what could be done with her daughter, Reyna. She wouldn’t deny that Karina was right, Reyna was power hungry for Adiya’s rule even the whole world. She had even gotten more powerful then herself, she couldn’t stop her. Then Adiya noticed her mirror on the bench beside her. An eleglant oval mirror with a spiral lining.

“Now how did my mirror get here?” Adiya questioned her as she picked up the mirror, laying it on her lap. Adiya stared down at her reflection as she thought, then she reached wit her hand to touch the surface of the mirror lightly with her fingertips, as it rippled as if it was water, showing her something different.

This was her magic mirror, her eye to the world, that could see anywhere, anyone that she wished. So Adiya could watch over the balance of magic and help where she could, that was her job.

 

The mirror showed her a young tribal woman in a village in the deep forest. The woman squatted on a branch high above the ground. Wearing tan jerkins legging with tall brown leather boots. A matching tan jerkin tank top. Her skin natural a darkened tan with hair that was thick, dark brown tied back in a tight braid. Eyes were brown but so dark that they looked pure black. A bow in her hands with an arrow ready to fly.

The young woman watched the forest below her with quick glances then slowly closed her eyes. There was a light sound in the forest she could feel the energy around her move, the young woman let the arrow go. It hit a deer deep right in the side chest and it fell to the ground. The young woman put her bow over her shoulder and then jumped down from the tree, walking over to the dead deer. Other people of her village joined her, all were men, shocked to see that she killed the deer so easily.

She kneeled in front of the dead deer as she placed a hand on the deer and closed her eyes, as she whispered to herself. A pray of a whisper that Adiya heard on the wind through the mirror.

‘Mother of the Earth, thanks to you for this life and this honor that you give to me through this animal.’

Then the young woman pulled out her arrow slowly standing to face the crowd of men warriors. She had showed them all that she is, her strengths, her abilities, her pride and her honor to be a warrior in their eyes. She held the arrow above her head in honor as they cheered for her.

 

“Oh, a woman warrior, not too common. And one of the Earth, with a great heart and pure soul.”  Stated Adiya to herself then she touched the mirror again to find someone else.

 

There was another young woman from a different kingdom far away from the first one. This young woman rode quickly on a horse down a worn dirt roadway in a hurry. Dressed highly but like a man, in brown cloth pants with black boots up to her knees. A silkly tunic top tucked into the pants, long sleeved and tied up in the front. A black leather belt held her one handed sword. Bands of her fair, light brown hair swept across her face as she rode, the rest tied back in a bun. Narrow eyes against the wind, but were a beautiful shade of hazel against her natural light tan colored skin.

The young woman rode toward a burning village that lay in front of her. She pushed her horse as much as she could as she got closer and closer. As she rode into the village she slowed the horse but didn’t wait for the horse to stop as she jumped off the horse. Her shoulder hit the ground but she rolled on the ground up to her feet, like she had trained and did hundreds of times before.

Villagers ran up to her, crying and yelling that a child was trapped in a house as they pointed to it. The young woman could hear the screams of the child in the burning house. The young woman ran toward the house and into the flaming house without a moment of heistation. She pushed herself forward letting the screams to lead her. Flames reached out at her and flaming wood fell all around her. Then she stopped the child hiding in a corner she quickly picked him up into her arms and ran back toward the front foor, the flames had engulfed it. The young woman grabbed a blanket nearby untouched by the fire. She wrapped the child up and held him tightly in her arms and paused in fear from a moment. As Adiya heard a whisper on the wind through the mirror again.

‘Dear flames of the spirits, the flames of my soul are brighter than the ones in front of me. Please let me through.’

Then the young woman ran through the fire, unnatural the flames seemed to move away from her as she got safetly out of the house. The child’s mother ran up to her and grabbed her child, thanking the young woman. All of the villagers gathered around to thank her, then she didn’t waste anytime ordering for them to start put out the fires with water from the river next to the village. They all went to work to help, even the young woman stayed to help.

 

“Another woman warrior, interesting. How did the fire move around her so? What is this mirror trying to tell me now?” Adiya asked herself as she touched the mirror again.

 

Yet again the mirror showed her another woman from a far east kingdom. The young woman stood behind closed gate as people on the other side tried to break through the wooden gate doors. But the young woman wasn’t alone, other stood behind her. All men in armor and one sided swords, ready to fight. The young woman stood in front of them all, with no armor, in her hands one sides short swords, one in each hand. In a royal blue long sleeve dress to the ground with two slits up the front side. Showing a dark purple skirt under the dress, a matching dark purple cloth belt around her waist and soft black leather shoes. But her hair was unlike anyone of Asian decent, it was lighter then Adiya’s own hair, a pale light blonde like the white moon and straight down reaching around her thighs. Her eyes stared at the gate as it started to break, her eyes another unseen feature for her kind, a bizarre emerald green with skin as pale as snow. Her face was painted with dark blue eye make up and lines from the corner of her eyes. From the inside corner short curved in and the outside corner longer curved down her cheek. And her lips painted a matching dark blue.

As the gate broke open under the pressure, men poured in attacking them. The woman closed her eyes for a moment taking a deep breath then started her attack on them. She was unlike an other fighter, she was fast striking like lightning. Slaughtering most of the men, as the attack faded, the surviving men retreated. The young woman look back upon what she was protecting, it was a huge beautiful temple.

The woman from the temple helped the injuried as the men moved the dead of their enemies. The young woman just walked right passed them to a lake that was on the temple’s grounds. She kneeled in front of the water as she dipped her swords into the water and closed her eyes. Adiya heard another whisper on the wind.

‘Water Maiden wash this blood off. For you game me this gift inorder to protect your temple and your people. Please protect them.’

Then the young woman stood, placing her swords back in their sheaths in her cloth belt. Walking back over to start helping the injuried.

 

“A priestess and a warrior, all in one. That must be hard on anyone. I know that it was hard on me a long time ago.” Stated Adiya then she touched the mirror again.

 

There was another young woman, she was in a bed chamber and held a child in her arms. A child she just delievered from a high woman of the court in her land. A land not far from Adiya’s own kingdom. The young woman handed the baby to the mother as she sat aside of them both. The mother praised the young woman for her help. The young woman rubbed the child’s forehead then the mother’s, blessing them both. She wore a light blue dress with long bell sleeves, the dress reached to the ground. A gray vest over that, buttoned at the top and reached to the ground. Her hair was a shining spun gold waves down her back. Bright blue eyes shining like the sky and pale pink skin color.

Suddenly another woman ran in saying  that something was wrong with the master, the King. The young woman took her leave quickly, following the other woman back to the King’s bedchamber.

As they entered, many other woman and men hung around the room. The young woman pushed her way gently to the front as the King ordered to see her and only her. The others were staying not having faith in just a child. The young woman ordered them to leave, but no one listened to her. The King in his weakened state ordered that she was the leader in his health. Then they all left but the young woman and her helper with a wooden box in her arms.

The young woman opened the box, pulling out the herbs and a feather. Mixing herbs and then making him eat them quickly, with the feather drew invisible symbols on his bare chest. Then the King suddenly threw up and she made him eat more herbs. Soon he was better, he asked her what was it that made him ill. She stood up to leave the room, the young woman turned to fae him when she was at the door, saying it was poison then quickly left the bedchamber. The young woman climbed to the top of the tower and stood outside at the top looking out at the sea, as the wind swept around her, embracing her. Adiya heard a whispered on the wind.

‘Mightly Winds, please bring peace to this kingdom and stop the growing evil. Bring back my love safetly to help us here, he is needed.’

Then she turned to go back inside of th castle.

 

“A young woman of great healing arts. Praying to the wind for help.” Stated Adiya as she touched the mirror again. It didn’t show someone else, it went black. The mirror had never done that before, it was trying to show her something to help her.

“Earth, Fire, Water, Air. The elements.” Explained Adiya asshe put down her mirror aside of her on the bench. Then she gasped, as she realized just what the mirror was trying to tell her.

 

 

 



© 2009 Justine Snyder


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on July 8, 2009
Last Updated on July 13, 2009


Author

Justine Snyder
Justine Snyder

Lehighton, PA



About
I have been writing as long as I remember, I have years of journals for events in my life and thinks about everything and anything around me. Most of the time, I'm in my own world, I have been told th.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Justine Snyder