Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A Chapter by Dreamer

Chapter 14: Epidemic Operandum

 

 

"Remind me again why we have to tag along?" Don shifted in the saddle trying to get feeling back in his buttocks.

Skiff rolled his eyes, "Because, Maltoris ordered it."

"Yeah," Don whined, "I know that, but why?"

"Doesn't matter." Skiff replied in annoyance.

Cam grinned, "What, is our company not good enough for you?"

Don twisted around in the saddle to glare at him, "In a word, no. I'd rather be in my nice comfy bed instead of this downpour."

Cameron smirked as he looked up into the rain. He couldn't fault Don for his disposition, they were all sick of the rain.

Glancing sidelong at Kailah Cameron had to stifle a chuckle. She was hunkered down as far as she could into the saddle, her cloak wrapped around her so only her eyes peered out. Cam's horse skittered sideways as a bolt of lightning cut the black sky above them.

 

“Again?!” Cameron groaned as the same rain soaked messenger saluted him, “Please tell me it’s an invitation to a party.”

Ungraciously accepting the small paper Cameron stepped out of the way of the messenger to warm himself by the fire. He sighed as he read the summons to Maltoris’s office. Kailah handed the young man standing in front of the fire a cup of coffee with a soft smile.

The man thanked her as he accepted the coffee, “How’re you today, Miss Malavander?”

“Well, Korman, considering its raining and we’ve just been summoned,” Kailah narrowed her eyes, “I’m doing just peachy.”

The man took an involuntary step back as the fire glinted off Kailah’s red irises, causing her demeanor to darken. As her attention shifted to the glowering Cameron, Korman let out an audible sigh. He slowly sipped his coffee while Kailah walked to get her coat her black boots betraying her annoyance as they struck the wooden floor.

“Thanks, Korman.” Cameron muttered without raising his eyes as he passed the messenger.

Korman drained the last of his cup and set it gently on the little corner table as he walked to the door, “Any time.”

Smiling softly to himself Korman shut the door as he walked out. Once the messenger was gone Cameron handed the paper to Kailah when she walked back into the room. Kailah glanced over it quickly as she flipped her hair out of her collar.

“Wonder what it is this time.” She muttered as Cameron walked back into the room with his long over coat and wide brim hat on.

Kailah muffled a chuckle as he flipped up the collar of his coat, “You ready?"

She nodded as she followed him out into the hallway. Cameron glared at the cat sleeping peacefully on the couch as he closed and locked the door.

Cameron bristled all the way down the hall, out into the courtyard, up the hill, and through the massive oak doors that led to the main halls of the compound. As the two of them stopped in the entrance two similarly shaped silhouettes approached up the steps.

Kailah grinned when the two of them flipped down their hoods revealing Don and Skiff.

"Morning." Cameron growled in greeting.

Skiff nodded his head, "That it is."

"What brings you two out on such a lovely morning?" Don grinned at the two of them as he and Skiff stepped over the threshold. A recruit rushed over from a side room to collect their coats.

As Cameron relinquished his coat and hat he answered, "Summon from Maltoris, you?"

"Same." Skiff replied narrowing his eyes, "Now ain't that a coincidence."

"Sure is." Kailah mused as the four of them made their way to Maltoris's office.

Don and Cameron flanked Skiff on either side with Kailah behind the three of them. To her they seemed like a captain flanked by his men, she wondered to herself why. When they reached Maltoris's office Skiff politely knocked. After a slight pause they were beckoned through.

Kailah had to veer sharply to the side to keep from running into Cameron's back as he, Don and Skiff stopped just inside to salute Maltoris.

Maltoris returned the salute and motioned them further into his office, "Good, you're all here. I'll get right to the point. You all are to head to the Southlands ASAP."

"Trouble, sir?" Skiff's face remained impassive but for a slight furrowing of his brow.

Maltoris shook his head sighing, "Of that I have no doubt, but the extent is a mystery."

Cameron stole a glance at Kailah before returning his attention to Maltoris, "What do you mean?"

"You'd think the cryptic b*****d would be a little more specific than 'need assistance, send the best'." Maltoris grumbled as he pulled out his pipe, "That's all the blasted letter said."

"If I'm not mistaken, the Southlands is where Chelry and Esma are currently, correct?" Kailah folded her arms feeling a slight draft.

Maltoris nodded, "That is correct, Councilman Gin had requested their expertise to help with the last few cases of the epidemic. Their report is three days late."

He held up a hand deterring interruptions as he continued calmly, "Given the seasonal storms, it’s not uncommon for that much of a delay. The letter from Gin only arrived an hour ago."

"Even still, I've never known Gin to be overdramatic, pack fast and ride well." Maltoris dismissed them.

The three men saluted their leader and filed out the door. Kailah nodded her head to Maltoris as she closed the door behind them.

 

That had been two days ago, the small group had been traveling at as brisk a pace as nature would allow. A small light appeared in the heavy rain about half a mile away as they broke through the forest that created part of the border between Kalm and The Plain districts. With no trees to deter the rain it fell in thick sheets across the once tall grass that had been beaten down by the constant rain. They followed the road as best they could, skirting around larger puddles of water not daring any that looked too deep. Arriving at the source of light the four of them all gratefully ushered their horses into the small lean-to. Cameron took the reins from Kailah, "I'll see to him, you go get us a table."

Kailah nodded then turned on her heel, ducking out into the downpour. Cameron wished they could stay till the rain stopped, but they could only spare a couple hours at the most. As he tied off the reins and unsaddled the two horses he felt anxious.

Once done, he followed Skiff and Don into the small tavern. Taking off his cloak he placed it on a peg by Kailah's. He scanned the dimly lit room for her. Skiff taped his chest with the back of his hand to get Cameron's attention then headed toward the back of the room. Catching sight of Kailah, Cameron relaxed. She smiled as they joined her, visibly relaxing in their presence. Despite the covering of their cloaks all of them were still thoroughly soaked. Thankfully whoever owned the tavern had a nice fire going in the small fireplace to their left.

A long wooden bar spanned the length of the room to their right, a lone barkeep smearing the dirt along the top occasionally topped off the drinks of the patrons sitting before him. A portly woman made her way to them deftly dodging the chairs and tables despite her size.

"Morning to you folks," The lady smiled kindly, "what can I get for you?"

"Coffee and something warm to eat." Kailah answered quickly.

Cameron smirked, "Same for me."

"Just food for me." Don piped in, "I dent see how ya'll can drink that stuff, gotta add in forty pounds of sugar and milk."

Skiff rolled his eyes, "Coffee and food for me as well, please."

The lady smiled, "Coming right up."

As the lady wove her way back to the kitchen Cameron leaned forward resting his forearms on the table, "I wish we could wait out the storms."

"Yeah, it'd be nice," Skiff crossed his arms over his chest, "we'd be able to travel faster."

As thunder cracked the relative silence of the small tavern the barmaid came over with three mugs of steaming coffee. She set down a small bowl of sugar and a cup of milk, "Your soup will be out in just a minute."

She flipped a strand of mouse brown hair, greying at the roots, before giving them a smile and heading back the way she'd come. Very carefully so as not to waste any of the milk or sugar, Kailah and Cameron fixed their coffee. Skiff drank his black while Don made disgusted faces at him. Cameron noticed Kailah's mood lighten a little with the coffee. He wondered to himself why that lightened his.

"Alright," Don turned to Cam, "what's our course from here, west or straight south?"

Taking a sip of coffee Cameron shrugged his shoulders, "That's an excellent question. Opinions?"

Skiff pulled a small map from a pouch at his waist, "If we're going for speed, we should go straight south."

"True, it is the shortest distance," Cameron mused, "but the storm will slow us down."

"That's assuming the storm is headed south as well, or if there will be anymore after this one passes." Don suggested picking at some dirt on the table.

Cameron smirked, "There will be, its spring. There's always a storm in the Plains."

"That's true." Don leaned over to look at the map, "Ok, then west? We head toward The Plain Compound following the main trade route, then cut straight south, cut east around the Karpel mountains, then south and follow the trade routes, cuts off cutting through Central."

Kailah snorted, “That would be nice, I’m sure Xerkieda’s still none too fond of us.”

“Probably,” Cam chewed thoughtfully on his thumb, “problem is there aren’t any towns or villages between the Compound in Plain and the one in Karpel. We’d have to stock up in Plain and pray we don’t run into trouble with bandits.”

“What about this way?” Kailah traced a faded line from the cross roads through two villages, “We could go through these two villages, get back on the trade route here, and follow it the rest of the way to Southlands.”

The men looked closely at the route Kailah had suggested their expressions ranging from thoughtful to apprehensive. Cameron took another sip of his coffee as he thought over her suggestion.

“I don’t foresee a problem with it,” Skiff mused, “as long as we avoid the Zone right here and assuming it hasn’t expanded.”

Cam glanced up at Skiff, “How old is this map?”

Skiff shrugged, “Three or four years.”

“Then it shouldn’t have expanded too far,” Cameron sighed, “Any other suggestions?”

The others shook their heads, Cameron nodded, “Then, that’s our course.”

At that point the barmaid returned with their food. As the rain hounded against the walls Cameron glanced one more time at the Zone, outlined in red, and shuddered.

 

The horse's hooves thundered so hard against the ground that large clumps of dirt flew behind them, its primal instinct urging it faster and faster from the horrors following them. The horse was vaguely aware of the human male clinging for life on its back. The rest of its concentration was directed toward fleeing from the Beasts that had swarmed the keep. The man atop the horse pulled hard on the reigns causing it to tear ruts in the ground to stop. The horse bucked slightly skitting from side to side.

"Stop, I can't see." The man fussed at the horse as he peered back over his shoulder, "I think we might have made it Dust."

Dust flicked his ears and shook his head still skittish. As the sun broke the horizon before them, the man caught his breath as a group of the enemy soldiers crested a hill five miles back.

 The man cursed then kicked Dust into a full run once again, "You were right."

Not needing much urging, Dust took off once more toward the slowly rising sun. Glancing over his shoulder often the man kept a constant tab on the group chasing them. Up ahead his destination came into view, a small farm nestled against a hill backed by a forest. Glancing back once again the man judged he had ten minutes before the riders would arrive at the house.

Dust jumped the four foot fence and made a beeline for the front door. He slowed down enough for the man to jump down at the door. He hit on the door so hard the dust showered around him. He pounded till he heard the lock click open.

Throwing the door open he scooped the startled woman into his arms, "You're safe."

"What's going on," the woman demanded, "safe from what?"

"Where is he?" The man set her down and ran into the small house glancing around wildly, "Quick we don’t have much time."

"He's about his chores," the woman stammered as he turned and gripped her shoulders, "my guess is the barn."

The man cursed, "Get enough food to last the three of us for a few days. Meet me and the boy by the Forrest edge. Don't argue with me!"

The snapped her mouth shut, her protest dying on her tongue. The man ran out the door leaving her to carry out his orders. He leapt smoothly into Dust's saddle and tore off toward the far side of the hill. Glancing west he saw the riders crest another hill, they were too close for his liking.

"Boy!" the man screamed for him as soon as the barn came into view, "Where are you?"

As he neared the barn a boy of seven peered out from the door, "Uncle Pierce?"

Pierce held out his hand to the boy, "Come on."

The urgency in his voice affected the boy. Without further questions he dropped the feed bucket and ran to Dust. Reaching up the boy caught hold of Pierce's out stretched hand.

Pierce pulled the boy behind him into the saddle then kicked Dust toward the forest line. As they neared the edge they saw the boy's mother standing about twenty feet from the trees holding a large burlap sack.

Pierce slowed the horse long enough for the woman to hand him the sack then climb up behind her child. As soon as she was settled Pierce kicked Dust into motion. They road along the edge of the forest heading for the road that wound its way through to safety, or so they hoped.

Their hopes were dashed as a rider in black appeared out of nowhere to their right heading to cut them off before they could reach the road. Pierce grimaced as he drew the short sword at his hip.

As the rider neared something whizzed past his ear and knocked the rider from his seat. The woman grinned at Pierce when he looked back at her. She settled another stone into the leather sling as they rode past the rider in black. They made it onto the road just as the other riders rounded the bend in the road.

Dust picked up speed on the road, the trees flying past at frightful speed. All three of his passengers clung for dear life to him. After about five minutes of riding Pierce stopped Dust and dismounted.

"Keep ridding till you reach him." Pierce demanded of the woman, "Do you understand? Don't stop for anything."

She nodded, her blue eyes tearing up. Pierce nodded smiled at the boy then smacked Dust with the flat of blade to get him going again. Dust neighed flicking his ears before he left Pierce standing in the middle of the road.

As the dust of their escape settled around him Pierce sighed then headed off the road into the trees to wait in ambush for their pursuers. He didn't have to wait very long from his perch of an overhanging branch.

As the first riders passed beneath him he took a deep breath, "Geronimo."



© 2014 Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on February 1, 2014
Last Updated on February 1, 2014


Author

Dreamer
Dreamer

LA



About
I'm just a simple country girl who likes to write the (what I find cool) stories I daydream up in my head. I also have a deviantart account at http://khiramae.deviantart.com/ don't have a whole lot .. more..

Writing
Prolog Prolog

A Chapter by Dreamer


Death Death

A Book by Dreamer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer